Juergen Klinsmann Hired as USMNT Coach

PabloDiablo

Feb 10, 2011
Omaha, NE
I really like this hire, bring in a winner. Get it through your head we can't advance with Americans coaching us. No other country has such ridiculous loyalty to their own when selecting coaches despite poor results.

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
I'm not an expert on men's soccer, but I wonder... Can you overcome less talent in soccer (which it's safe to say the US has) when you have excellent coaching?

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
The US has 3-4 players with the talent to compete, just not enough depth.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I'm not an expert on men's soccer, but I wonder... Can you overcome less talent in soccer (which it's safe to say the US has) when you have excellent coaching?

That's true. A coach can only do so much, but I think a lot of the passionate soccer fans are just excited to break away from Bradley's ho-hum 4-4-2 and typically counter-attack / defensive style.

That said, it's not like the Germans are known for beautiful possession football like the Spanish or Dutch. I just hope we try to attack more even though I realize the U.S. doesn't yet have the world class finishers or possession-holders that we need to thrive with this system.

Still, it's exciting to see what changes Klinsmann will make. I wonder if he will get the control over the developmental system that it was rumored stopped him from being coach 5 years ago? Will Gulati give him more control?

nicmilani

Mar 24, 2006

Yes. Like any sport coaching has an immense impact. Bob Bradley was a solid coach from a practice standpoint (players came to games ready to play, in good condition), however he was TERRIBLE from an in-game strategy standpoint.

Most people don't appreciate the immense strategy required during a soccer game. Since substitutions are limited, positioning is key. While it may appear a bunch of guys are just running around, the coach is constantly changing the shape of the players and moving people to hopefully create and exploit the opposing team.

Americans have historically been terrible at this. We are in better shape, with better physical attributes, but get killed after the first 30 minutes because the opposing coach is smart enough to shift his players to exploit our players. See Brazil v USA or Mexico v USA ... you should never lose a game you are winning by 2 goals.

Another great example of this is Argentina in the last world cup. They were LOADED with talent and should have made it to the finals. EXCEPT they met a much lower talent German squad that played brilliantly. Plain and simple, Maradona was out coached by his German counterpart. I watched the game in person and was blown away that the strategy of the Argentinians appeared to be, "Give Messi the ball and hope for a goal." Well ... Messi would beat 3 or 4 Germans (superior talent), but there was always a 5th one waiting (superior coaching).

Bradley needed to go. He was good at having the guys ready to play, but he almost always let them down with suspect substitutions and poor game-time adjustments. Cost the USA some big games.

Coaching always matters.

Bewilderme

Apr 11, 2006
Minneapolis
In no other sport does the manager have as much impact as in footie. I support this hire, and hope that Juergen is given the reigns on the youth system as well.

nicmilani

Mar 24, 2006
In no other sport does the manager have as much impact as in footie. I support this hire, and hope that Juergen is given the reigns on the youth system as well.

Great point about the youth system. This fundamentally is the greatest failing of US soccer. Painful to watch countries like Italy develop our youth for us, then keep them for their national team. I sense the tide is changing here though.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

:skeptical: Don't american football coaches literally call every play either through a coordinator or themselves (offense and defense)