JP in the DMR talking about reorganizing the big 5

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
This thread has turned into an absurd display of the idiocy of the average sports message board poster. the most popular sport in the world is gay. Yay isolationism. Also, there was a time where college sports where not about the cash, but the sport. Bemoaning this loss is not necessarilly a bad thing. If we are left with only football and basketball as college sports we are not better for it. Sorry if I think giving more incentives to idiots like Geno Smith is not great for all involved.

How long after non revenue college sports wither away are posters on this board and across America bemoaning the decline of the US's Olympic competitiveness?

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
This thread has turned into an absurd display of the idiocy of the average sports message board poster. the most popular sport in the world is gay. Yay isolationism. Also, there was a time where college sports where not about the cash, but the sport. Bemoaning this loss is not necessarilly a bad thing. If we are left with only football and basketball as college sports we are not better for it. Sorry if I think giving more incentives to idiots like Geno Smith is not great for all involved.

Run, here come the posters from the Premier League thread!!!!! And they're wearing their short shorts!!! :elvis:

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
You saying there were no college sports before football and basketball game around?

I don't know, were there? Why is that even relevant now?

This isn't about club sports. I used that merely as a personal example. Any sport not named basketball/football will likely lose funding, along with ticket prices and season ticket prices rising a decent amount.

You didn't read the article did you?

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
"We'll have to pass those costs on to our fans," Pollard said. "There's just no other way about it."

Which is ironic since he had no problem finding $600K to give to CFH. I have no problem with him giving Fred the raise, but seems ironic that there is some hand wringing in finding this amount to give to the athletes.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Run, here come the posters from the Premier League thread!!!!! And they're wearing their short shorts!!! :elvis:

I just flopped here at the office! Soccer sympathy flop!

Remember, I could never play soccer because I can't run that long. Heard that right after an 18 mile run back in the day.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

If we're left with football and basketball as the only sports, no, we're not better for it. But CFB for schools like ISU, KSU and Baylor are about survival now. The end of major college football at Iowa State is the end of the athletic department as we know it. We're either with the Big 5 or we're toast.

It sucks. I wish I could go back and somehow keep Earle Bruce at ISU and change the course of our FB history but I can't.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Wait...you're listing Borger, TX...which is about as BFE as you can get in Texas, and you're saying Iowa is uncultured?

:rolleyes:

Well, often posters here demonstrate lack understanding for sports culture outside of the upper Midwest. ISU has been in the Big 12 for nearly 20 years, yet posters still freak out when the southern MBB games aren't packed. Many also don't understand the importance of baseball in the south.

Prone2Clone

Oct 20, 2006
1240308743_soccer-wtf.gif

Wait, is this not the off-season gif thread?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I never said someone was forcing me to play my sport. I love my sport, or I wouldnt still be playing it...

What I'm saying is, once you give football and basketball the golden faucet, there is no incentive to the athletic departement to care at all about anything else. We get certain benefits from athletics right now, but that will probably be gone if they are looking for cuts.

Do football and basketball make money? yes. Does that mean we shun the rest of the athletic world in order to coddle these players like babies and give them huge paychecks? In my opinion, no.

Hey man can I have $10,000? No need for you to hog all the money you make. I would like some. Not going to do anything for it though.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
You saying there were no college sports before football and basketball game around?

Were there scholarships before football and basketball supported them? If there were, where did that money come from? Find that source and get it again.

There is no "real team" at this college. Only club.

But hey, keep attacking the person and not the problem. That's cool too.

So what is your claim to the money that the football players and basketball players generate to run your club? Is it any greater than if I started an ultimate frisbee club? Should we have the same $$ given to us?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Practical question. How would this policy apply to athletes in sports where you don't get a "full ride?" For instance, I think wrestling has something like 9 scholarships for the entire team, but they are split up into fractions for most team members. Will they get more money? As I understand it, right now, they just get a percentage of tuition, but nothing for living expenses.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
How long after non revenue college sports wither away are posters on this board and across America bemoaning the decline of the US's Olympic competitiveness?

Eh, most other countries around the world don't have sports associated with their universities the way we do, so I have a feeling we would survive. There will still be plenty of athletes in this country interested in winning some medals.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
If people really cared about non-revenue sports, they wouldn't be non-revenue sports. The truth, as sad as it may seem to some, is that people really don't care about much aside from football and men's basketball. Everything else is a niche. By and large, they don't watch it. And they certainly don't pay to watch it. There are some regional exception (maybe woman's basketball here, maybe wrestling at Iowa).

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Hey man can I have $10,000? No need for you to hog all the money you make. I would like some. Not going to do anything for it though.

Huh... sounds a lot like welfare. Something we do a lot of in this country...

At no point did I ask for money. Not sure why you pulled that argument out of your hat.