JP in the DMR talking about reorganizing the big 5

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Wait...wah? According to some out here, I thought the Register didn't provide any content worth reading....that everything ISU related could be found elsewhere?

"Why is anyone still reading the newspaper?!?!" 2nd most annoying comment out here after only, "why do you waste your time listening to local sports talk radio?"

/end snarky comment.

Last edited:

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
They aren't leaving the NCAA. None of those things would be going away

It's just the first step in pulling completely away from the NCAA, so think what you want.

Does this make it good or bad for Iowa State...because I'm an alum and a Cyclones fan so if it's good for ISU and puts UNI out of business I don't give a ****. I really don't.
Would it be good for the budget? Yes. Good for competitive opportnities, non conference scheduling, etc. Not a chance

This, in particular, is wrong.

And why should I care about Indiana State again...?

How many of the schools participating in Wrestling are from teh Big 5? You really going to sponsor a sport with a dozen teams?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Wait...wah? According to some out here, I thought the Register didn't provide any content worth reading....that everything ISU related could be found elsewhere?

"Why is anyone still reading the newspaper?!?!" 2nd most annoying comment out hear after only, "why do you waste your time listening to local sports talk radio?"

/end snarky comment.
Well, what JP said has been assumed for awhile. CW should do a follow up with JP to make certain the DMR did not distort anything.

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
I think the net effect here could be more parity among teams in the Big 5, with a larger gap between Big 5 teams and the mid-majors. For teams at the top of the heap like KU hoops or UT and Alabama football, they already bring in classes full of 5 star recruits, they can't really improve. Where the difference is going to occur is for a football player with offers from the Mountain West or CUSA up against offers from schools like ISU, KU, Indiana, etc. Those lower tier Big 5 schools are going to start winning more of those battles than they do today as there will be a major financial incentive in going to the larger school. The bottom rises, the top has nowhere more to go up, and you have added parity in the league.

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
This legislation is a mistake, and could be the move that ultimately kills college sports.

I play a club sport at ISU. I've already had to have surgery on my knee from a meniscus tear, that I had to pay for out of pocket. Just because America doesn't deem my sport worthy of TV time, doesn't make me any less an athlete than a bench warmer for the football team. You start pumping even more money into football, you will take away from the rest of college athletics.

Reactions: CyDude16

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
This legislation is a mistake, and could be the move that ultimately kills college sports.

I play a club sport at ISU. I've already had to have surgery on my knee from a meniscus tear, that I had to pay for out of pocket. Just because America doesn't deem my sport worthy of TV time, doesn't make me any less an athlete than a bench warmer for the football team. You start pumping even more money into football, you will take away from the rest of college athletics.

Put your games on TV and if enough people watch, then you won't have to pay for it out of pocket. This isn't communism.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Hate to say it but football and men's basketball basically are college sports at this point. Conferences have been torn apart and reassembled because of football. Olympic sports don't drive the engine. They'll take what they can get if they are even allowed to survive

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying

Sorry but that's capitalism. And not to sound cynical but you chose to play a club sport.
I'm sure a meniscus tear is expensive (and you probably had to pay a copay-don't you have insurance?) but that's part of choosing to do that.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
Put your games on TV and if enough people watch, then you won't have to pay for it out of pocket. This isn't communism.

Exactly. I truly don't understand people who think that football and basketball have some responsibility to send all their money to little sports nobody cares about. If it matters that much to you, donate to those sports yourself.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines

Wow....is someone forcing you to play a sport that no one wants to pay to watch you play? If you have an issue with that, I'd suggest giving it up.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
So the schools like Alabama, Texas and Ohio State are pushing this because they want schools like Iowa State to be able to recruit better players and have a better chance of beating them. I didn't realize that they had such altruistic motives.

JohnnyFive

Feb 25, 2012
The death of non-mainstream college athletics began when football became the end-all be-all of cash cow sports at the college level. Football is king, and sports like track or CC, golf, baseball, ect are just along for the ride if they're lucky enough to still have enough funding in 20 years. Who needs gymnastics when the football team could have a third whirlpool? Who needs soccer when the football team needs to buy a two-year bulk supply of jock straps?

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
The death of non-mainstream college athletics began when football became the end-all be-all of cash cow sports at the college level. Football is king, and sports like track or CC, golf, baseball, ect are just along for the ride if they're lucky enough to still have enough funding in 20 years. Who needs gymnastics when the football team could have a third whirlpool? Who needs soccer when the football team needs to buy a two-year bulk supply of jock straps?

Just to be clear here football was always paying for soccer and gymnastics and they could not have existed without it, right? Especially nowadays with the government pulling all funds out of the University ADs.

Actually, I'd say that was the death of them. When the government stopped supporting them.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
So the schools like Alabama, Texas and Ohio State are pushing this because they want schools like Iowa State to be able to recruit better players and have a better chance of beating them. I didn't realize that they had such altruistic motives.

Exactly. The only reason the moneybag schools are pushing this is because they need another place to spend on their FB (and perhaps to a lesser extent MBB or baseball in the south) programs to get a competitive edge. For these schools, spending more on facilities, equipment, and coaches has come to a point of diminishing returns. It now comes down to assuring that the program has the best athletes, and the way to assure that is to pay for them.

As ADJP says, the devil is in the details, but I will not be surprised at all if in the end, schools with larger budgets will be permitted to offer (perhaps significantly) larger cost-of-attendance stipends.

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneErik

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
What is wrong with the non-revenue sports going back to the non-revenue model that college sports began with? Did kids not play those sports before programs made money in football and MBB? Let's be real, those sports are already dead from an exposure stand-point. If football players and MBB want to be ****** at something, it should be Title IX.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
So when does the government step in to start taxing these "stipends"? Or will a new designation be given to football "employees"?

Skidoosh

May 27, 2012
Wow....is someone forcing you to play a sport that no one wants to pay to watch you play? If you have an issue with that, I'd suggest giving it up.

I never said someone was forcing me to play my sport. I love my sport, or I wouldnt still be playing it...

What I'm saying is, once you give football and basketball the golden faucet, there is no incentive to the athletic departement to care at all about anything else. We get certain benefits from athletics right now, but that will probably be gone if they are looking for cuts.

Do football and basketball make money? yes. Does that mean we shun the rest of the athletic world in order to coddle these players like babies and give them huge paychecks? In my opinion, no.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I really don't like or agree with Pollard on this issue. Your really crying about possibly having to spend another 750k per year on your student athletes. Your Big XII TV contract alone is going up by at least, what $10 million per year, in the next few years. Cry me a river. I know he wants as big a budget as he can possibly get but your department wouldn't exist without the athletes. This is fairly simple and shouldn't cost anyone an education. You will have a few sports that get the larger "full" cost of attendance. Everyone on the each team must get the same amount (otherwise they are more like free agents and costs will spiral upwards). Most likely the revenue generating sports will get this higher tier while sports like swimming and diving can stay the same. Let each school choose which sports to compete at the highest levels (ie Stanford or Texas can do this for every sport under the sun if they choose) but the money will be equal at the schools at this highest level. The other sports will be lower "value" scholarships. This is somewhat like what already occurs with Wrestling where they mostly get partial scholarships due to the 9.9 limit.

Uh, I don't think JP was "crying", he was basically stating facts. Seems to me a lot of the fans are doing the crying, or will, when prices go up and higher donations are requested.

The fact is, you either get on board, or get out of the way. We could always drop down to D2.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
I never said someone was forcing me to play my sport. I love my sport, or I wouldnt still be playing it...

What I'm saying is, once you give football and basketball the golden faucet, there is no incentive to the athletic departement to care at all about anything else. We get certain benefits from athletics right now, but that will probably be gone if they are looking for cuts.

Do football and basketball make money? yes. Does that mean we shun the rest of the athletic world in order to coddle these players like babies and give them huge paychecks? In my opinion, no.

There wouldn't be other sports if not for football and basketaball. And $2700/year isn't a huge paycheck. At least not in my world.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron