Josh Lenz - 4.35 speed

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
The more I hear from this kid the more I like. I just talked to my uncle who happens to be a Hawk fan. He saw the kid play 3 times last year and doesn't get why Iowa didn't offer him. He says the kid will be a player. Good speed and doesn't shy away from contact

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Yet faster than Todd the speeding bullet Blythe or Stevie Hicks the Wanderer or Bret the Rolloutmeister.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
And, he's faster than all but 2 RB's:

NameTimeJohnson, Chris4.24McFadden, Darren4.33Alridge, Anthony4.36Charles, Jamaal4.38Simpson, Chad4.42Mendenhall, Rashard4.45Forte, Matt4.46Parmele, Jalen4.47Jones, Felix4.47Stewart, Jonathan4.48Dantrell Savage4.50Cory Boyd4.51Tashard Choice4.52Thomas Brown4.55Peyton Hillis4.58Xavier Omon4.59Mike Hart4.67

And Jamaal Charles, with that 4.38 clocking, ran a legit 10.2 100m in high school track. So, Lenz must have run about the same last May? :wink:

I think the coach was tossing out a little hyperbole.

d4cy

Oct 19, 2006
Ames
I'm sure high school coaches often give out generous 40 times to recruiters. I'd say you can probably add .1 seconds to every prospect on rivals, unless they are rivals camp times (note they are ALWAYS slower than the claimed speed. If in fact Lenz ran a sub 4.5 40 at the ISU camp, then that is big 12 fast with a neutral timer. Of course he probably doesn't run a 4.35 40, but a 4.45-4.5 is still excellent.

I think the only reason people are skeptical is because he wasn't well known. It so happens that unless the kids are from a big 4A school (valley) then they are almost always under the radar. Unless they go to rivals prospect camps or scout camps or whatever, no one usually knows about them. I think its almost more promising that the coaches offered him off a great camp showing. That means he showed more than just a fast 40 and measurables. Also the fact that they offered him this early and took him this early must mean he's pretty high on their board. I'm not going to doubt Chizik's recruiting and I think the only reason people are doubtfull is because he's pretty new to rivals.

Welcome to ISU Josh!! Now get Darion Howard to commit!

CLONE2THEBONE

Aug 4, 2006
I'm sure high school coaches often give out generous 40 times to recruiters. I'd say you can probably add .1 seconds to every prospect on rivals, unless they are rivals camp times (note they are ALWAYS slower than the claimed speed. If in fact Lenz ran a sub 4.5 40 at the ISU camp, then that is big 12 fast with a neutral timer. Of course he probably doesn't run a 4.35 40, but a 4.45-4.5 is still excellent.

I think the only reason people are skeptical is because...

I think the reason most are skeptical is because of this:

NameTimeJackson, DeSean4.35Caldwell, Andre4.37Jackson, Dexter4.37Franklin, Will4.37Royal, Eddie4.39Devin Thomas4.40Shields, Arman4.44Limas Sweed4.46Simpson, Jerome4.47Breazell, Brandon4.47Bennett, Earl4.48Pierre Garcon4.48Harry Douglas4.49Jaymar Johnson4.49Jordy Nelson4.49Marcus Henry4.50Mario Manningham4.59

NameTimeJohnson, Chris4.24McFadden, Darren4.33Alridge, Anthony4.36Charles, Jamaal4.38Simpson, Chad4.42Mendenhall, Rashard4.45Forte, Matt4.46Parmele, Jalen4.47Jones, Felix4.47Stewart, Jonathan4.48Dantrell Savage4.50Cory Boyd4.51Tashard Choice4.52Thomas Brown4.55Peyton Hillis4.58Xavier Omon4.59Mike Hart4.67

Even the 4.45 you grant him is faster than most of the cream of the crop at the NFL combine. So, you're saying you think he's a step faster than Matt Forte and Limas Sweed?

Don't get me wrong, I'm excited we got him, but to base anything on his coaches ridiculous 40 time claim is setting yourself up for disappointment.

I think he's gonna be a stud, though.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The forty times are all over the place because some are electronically timed, some are manual, some are run on a track, some on the field, etc. The bottom line, as far as I am concerned is that the coaches have done an evaluation of the kid, and liked what they saw. After all it is GC and company's jobs on the line, not mine. They are not going to offer a low star kid from Iowa in August if they don't see something that makes them think he is a steal.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Does anyone remember a running back in the early-mid 90's with the last name of Arnold? He was supposedly pretty fast, but in pads he really slowed down.

Jahi Arnold #5.. This is off memory and I could be wrong.. I was only about 12 when he played. On same team as Troy Davis. Had one big game against UNLV if I remember that right. Graston Norris and TD also had huge games that day.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
It is comical how many media guides and fans will tell you that every skill position player on their team can run a 4.4 or faster. Then it comes to the combine and there are really only ever 5 or 6 that do. On the other hand just because they are now NFL running backs does not mean that someone can not be faster, we know it takes a lot more than just speed. Just because someone is fast does not mean they are going to be an AA player.

BigLame

Feb 6, 2008
Western IA
And he had the world's largest forehead.
I could give him a run for the money there. I'm cro-magnon man when it comes to the sweat-brow.

Lenz's vids show him to have pretty good speed on the field. And I believe these are as a JR in HS.

moneymaker5

Dec 26, 2008
You know, I will stand up for Josh here. I am friends with him, I played football with him, and he is just as good of an athlete as he seem in the papers. How often does a freshman come to a pretty big high school, start as a sophomore in football, start as a freshman in basketball and win the 100 meter dash against some of the best and fastest people in the area? His speed on the track, according to paper, hasn't improved in the past 4 years of high school for him, if the above statement is correct. He won city with a 11.00 flat his freshman year. I feel that he has a chance to make big things happen in Ames. Last week, he was playing basketball for Hempstead. He had a pick set on his defender, swong around him and threw it down 2 handed. This guy isnt 6'4, he is probably 6'1 with the leaping abiliy of someone that is 6'4 6'5. I think he would benefit greatly as a wingback, because getting the ball in his hands as quick as possible is the best idea. Im not saying his is the greatest, by far, but if he is used correctly, he would definately be the Wes Welter(whatever his name is from the Patriots) for Iowa State.

scottie33

Nov 25, 2006
Ames, Iowa
You know, I will stand up for Josh here. I am friends with him, I played football with him, and he is just as good of an athlete as he seem in the papers. How often does a freshman come to a pretty big high school, start as a sophomore in football, start as a freshman in basketball and win the 100 meter dash against some of the best and fastest people in the area? His speed on the track, according to paper, hasn't improved in the past 4 years of high school for him, if the above statement is correct. He won city with a 11.00 flat his freshman year. I feel that he has a chance to make big things happen in Ames. Last week, he was playing basketball for Hempstead. He had a pick set on his defender, swong around him and threw it down 2 handed. This guy isnt 6'4, he is probably 6'1 with the leaping abiliy of someone that is 6'4 6'5. I think he would benefit greatly as a wingback, because getting the ball in his hands as quick as possible is the best idea. Im not saying his is the greatest, by far, but if he is used correctly, he would definately be the Wes Welter(whatever his name is from the Patriots) for Iowa State.

Thanks for the feedback! I think he will be something special aka whitver! I also love Wes Welker cause that guy will run across the middle of the field with no hesitation and is a great player

CyValley

Feb 29, 2008
You know, I will stand up for Josh here. I am friends with him, I played football with him, and he is just as good of an athlete as he seem in the papers. . . .

Many, many of we fans here have no questions about Josh's abilities. In my view, he's an outstanding get for the Cyclones.

Just hope he stays with us; can't imagine he won't, once Josh and Coach Rhoads have a talk or two.

MillerTime

Sep 29, 2008
Ames
I stopped caring about 40 times. I want to see him run in pads for ISU away from opposing teammates. If he outruns them, then I'll call him fast.

Excellent post. Shonn Greene doesn't have the fastest 40, but he is very effective at what he does. I agree with ya, if he can move the ball well, then it works for me. Hope to see him on the field.

hurdleisu24

Bookie
Sep 13, 2008
New York
Does anyone remember a running back in the early-mid 90's with the last name of Arnold? He was supposedly pretty fast, but in pads he really slowed down.

Hey Arnold?
hey_arnold_the_movie.jpg

Help Support Us

Become a patron