Joey Cruz school list

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Credit to @stuclone for pointing this out

Joey Cruz Looks To The Future After The Passing Of His Father (flowrestling.org)

Joey Cruz Looks To The Future After The Passing Of His Father

(part of the article)
Despite those recruiting obstacles, Joey has narrowed his school list two four programs. In alphabetical order, those are Iowa State, Little Rock, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State.

Joey likes the coaches and culture at each of these four programs. Both Oklahoma and Oklahoma State are also appealing because Joey has some family in the area, but Joey doesn't have a strong preference in program at the moment.

Little Rock might seem like a surprising program to be in Joey's top four as they're just finishing their second year of competition, but Joey's connection to coach Chandler Rogers has been strong.

Rogers, like Joey, lost his father while he was still competing and has spent years processing his father's passing. As a result, he and Joey can relate in a way that few people can.

At this point, Joey plans to wait to make his college decision until after he can get on these campuses. He believes that it will be important for him to feel out each program in person before he knows where he fits best. For now, the NCAA recruiting dead period is scheduled to continue through May 31.

Between now and then, Joey plans to keep training and competing as he continues to carry on his father's legacy.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
120 (flowrestling.org)

Mac Church falls just one spot after losing to Dylan Coy. He's solid enough to avoid dropping much. Rumble in Arizona created some great results just outside of the top 20 that could eventually impact the rankings.

For rankings questions, reach out to David Bray on Twitter (@_davidbray) or by email ([email protected]).

Jul 31, 2020 Aug 30, 2020 Sep 23, 2020 Oct 5, 2020 Oct 28, 2020 Nov 2, 2020 Nov 9, 2020 Nov 23, 2020 Dec 22, 2020 Jan 14, 2021 Jan 26, 2021 Feb 2, 2021 Feb 9, 2021 Feb 18, 2021 Feb 23, 2021 Mar 2, 2021
RankYearNameSchoolStateCollegePrevious
1Sr.Richard FigueroaSelmaCAArizona St.1
2Sr.Cooper FlynnMcDonoghMDVirginia Tech2
3Jr.Joey CruzBullardCA3
4Sr.Stevo PoulinShenendahowaNYNC State4
5Fr.Mason GibsonBishop McCortPA5

• Informative
Reactions: CyGold and stuclone

Boxer007

Aug 15, 2012
Glad to be in the running. Sure seems like we have some money invested at the weight. Kysen, Reeves and I’d have to think Knopick starts at 126 too.

SimpsonCyclone

Jul 20, 2011
Iowa
Finding great bookends is hard - which is probably the reason for investment. Reeves just wont ever have it at this level. I really wanted to be wrong, but I just don't see him getting to the level we need at that weight. Kysen is young and talented. One match I'm blown away by how tough he wrestles top ranked kids..then he almost gets tech falled an hour or two later. I think his mat wrestling is always going to struggle which is a bad problem. Knopick is a future 133 IMO. Even if he can make 125 it probably won't be too long.

Cruz is a stud. He'd be a great kid to land. Also, don't discount Metcalf's heartbreak of losing his brother in college. That has been a huge thing for him and he could relate on that aspect as well. Really happy to see we are in his top 4. Hope we can pull it off and land him as I think it is needed.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Cruz would be real nice addition. The collection of young talent/recruits we're putting together is pretty solid. This group of true freshman and high school guys would be a nice nucleus of talent...

125: Joey Cruz/Kysen Terukina
133: Conor Knopick
141: Zach Redding/Casey Swiderski
149: Cam Robinson
157: Paniro Johnson
165:
174:
184: Manny Rojas
197: Yonger Bastida/Cody Fisher
285: Nate Schon/Gabe Greenlee

...Cruz would be a big get to solidify the lightweights. 165/174 has to be the biggest focus on the recruiting trail I'd think, any names out there?

cywr89

May 14, 2009
I have no knowledge but I’m guessing they are keeping an eye on Josh Barr (So) from Davison, MI. Also, Rojas may start his College career at 174. For in-state I would think Hayden Taylor would also be someone of high interest but Riggins is probably at top of the list.

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I have no knowledge but I’m guessing they are keeping an eye on Josh Barr (So) from Davison, MI. Also, Rojas may start his College career at 174. For in-state I would think Hayden Taylor would also be someone of high interest but Riggins is probably at top of the list.
Barr is a hammer. Davison connection helps of course and if we could really establish that Michigan pipeline, that could be a huge asset. Especially if long term plan is for Metcalf to take over when Dresser is done.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I assume everyone and their mom has been recruiting Mason Gibson from PA since middle school, but I hope we've been making overtures as well.

The kid is only a Freshman and is beastly.

I just watched him run his opponent into the ground in the PIAA 2A 120 semi-finals.

His opponent was a good foot taller than him, but Gibson was way too quick, strong, and athletic. Kid's gas tank seems huge too. Gibson seemed super frustrated his opponent got tired so fast.

https://www.flowrestling.org/events...-championship/videos?playing=6923303&limit=60

Reactions: stuclone