Joey Chestnut banned

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
Impossible is probably going to market it as "Even the hot dog king loves our product!"

They're not only marketing toward vegans and vegetarians. There are a lot of people who only eat meat sometimes and the alternatives are a often a good option.
Having the most famous eater market your product makes sense, and all the publicity they are going to get now is probably worth way more than the one or two mil they paid Joey.

TitanClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 21, 2008
It is a bit odd for someone who clearly isn’t a vegan to take a sponsorship deal from a brand supporting meat alternatives.
I'd call it a smart marketing move. Hey we got this guy who's pounded meat for a living to join, you should try it too

ricochet

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2008
I don't blame Nathans. It would be like Michael Jordan working with Addidas or something.
That example doesn't make any sense. In that case Nike would be Impossible Foods and Adidas would be Nathan's. Adidas would be happy to have Jordan show up at one of their events, it would be Nike that might not like it. If Joey was making an issue about not wearing anything with Nathan's name written on it your example would make more sense.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
1. If I never see Joey Chestnut on TV again I’m fine with that.

2. Meat has a very loose definition here no matter which side you fall on. Very loose.

That was my first thought too.

If we could grow two Joey Chestnuts in a lab let's feed them regular hotdogs and these substitute hotdogs and see who develops major health issues first. They definitely don't hold back on the salt with either.

These meat substitutes that taste similar to meat aren't just lightly processed chickpeas, mushrooms and quinoa like a healthy meat substitutes are.

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That was my first thought too.

If we could grow two Joey Chestnuts in a lab let's feed them regular hotdogs and these substitute hotdogs and see who develops major health issues first. They definitely don't hold back on the salt with either.

These meat substitutes that taste similar to meat aren't just lightly processed chickpeas, mushrooms and quinoa like a healthy meat substitutes are.
Isn’t it less about being healthy and more about animal cruelty/using less resources?

Also, I may be way off on this since I don’t really like the hot dog eating contest, but I could see working out for both sides. Chestnut gets more money, and the hot dog eating contest doesn’t really lose any viewers. Because are there people that are really watching because Chestnut is there?

• Agree
Reactions: HFCS

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Isn’t it less about being healthy and more about animal cruelty/using less resources?
Depends on who you ask. For some people, eating less (or no) meat is a health decision. For some it's an ethical treatment of animal decision. For some it's an environmental and resource conservation decision. For some it's two of those. For some it's all three. For some it may be something totally different.

Lots of reasons to choose a certain behavior. And many reasons it may not be the choice for an individual.

Reactions: tim_redd and Turn2

Turn2

May 12, 2011
Clusterfunkeny

Also, I may be way off on this since I don’t really like the hot dog eating contest, but I could see working out for both sides. Chestnut gets more money, and the hot dog eating contest doesn’t really lose any viewers. Because are there people that are really watching because Chestnut is there?
Animal cruelty is only a drop in the bucket compared to environmental impacts.

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Nathan's makes hot dogs and runs the contest. They probably have rules about taking part in the event. Those rules probably say you aren't allowed to promote a competitor.

Chestnut's new contract probably has rules as well. If I was paying that much money I wouldn't want him to be in public eating dozens of a competitors product.

The win-win here is for Nathan's to hold their contest as usual. People will watch others force feed themselves for the fame, fortune, and everything that goes with winning the contest.

At the same time, have Chestnut on a live stream, unofficially competing, eating his sponsor's product. People can watch both and see which company has the best talent.

Presumably people will be swayed by this marketing. Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday, or however that saying works.

HOTDON

Mar 24, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Nathan's makes hot dogs and runs the contest. They probably have rules about taking part in the event. Those rules probably say you aren't allowed to promote a competitor.

Chestnut's new contract probably has rules as well. If I was paying that much money I wouldn't want him to be in public eating dozens of a competitors product.
That's actually where the Nike/Adidas analogy sort of works. If Adidas is running a summer camp for elite prospects you aren't going to see an appearance by King James.

People have been used to tuning in to see if anyone can dethrone Chestnut for years, but it hasn't felt much like a contest. I's probably not a stretch to think this little bit of publicity a few weeks before a contest that otherwise has very little media coverage comes out okay. There will definitely be a new champion.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
The people involved in MLE (Major League Eating) who put on the Nathan's Hotdog eating contest every year, should thank their lucky stars that enough of a market exists for an organization like theirs to even exist. But I feel like they are way out over their skis on this. Banning their most recognizable star, and probably the only competitor in their events that the public has any awareness of, is not a recipe for success, for such a niche entity. People don't go to the freak show to see the owner. They go to see the bearded lady.

Reactions: ISU3PtLand

Help Support Us

Become a patron