Joel Lanning

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
:huh: His ball skills are fantastic. He's ripped out more catches and broken up more passes than any corner I've seen at ISU in a long time. If anything keeps him out of the NFL its his height.

Did you not watch Reeves? His ball skills were off the charts.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
If he had those skills those could've easily been picks. And Leonard Johnson was only 2 years ago.

Ball skills don't only mean being able to pick the ball off. The most important job for a CB is too make sure they don't catch the ball.

Leonard Johnson wasn't great for his ball skills. He was great for his physicality and ability to stick to a receiver like glue.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
I just love posts like this. Nothing to support your statement, no rationale provided. It's just stated as though it's an undisputable fact. Thanks so much for your thoughtful contribution and your profound insight.

That's par for the course for the poster known as isuforlife.

Wilson

Sep 15, 2013
If Lanning starts a game next year it means the season will be a total ******* disaster. No thanks.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Did you not watch Reeves? His ball skills were off the charts.

Yes they were good but he had more trouble breaking up passes because he was even shorter.

Plus Rhoads never said anything about Reeves making it in the NFL (he did say he would no question if he was taller.) Rhoads has however stated multiple times that he thinks Watson is an NFLer.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
Rhoads had some pretty good things to say about Lanning when asked a few weeks ago what younger players are standing out in practice. When asked in general terms the first guy that Rhoads brought up was Lanning. My guess is that Lanning looks like the best of the ISU QB's because he is running the scout team offense... AKA... he is running every teams offense except Messingham's. That has to be a major factor in his success on the practice field.
So, my question is this --who is the scout team's OC? Promote him & implement his playbook!

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Leonard Johnson wasn't great for his ball skills. He was great for his physicality and ability to stick to a receiver like glue.
I realize that. Johnson and Watson are very similar. You said you haven't seen someone break up as many passes in a while, I was just stating that Johnson wasn't that long ago. He is a player that doesn't get the respect he deserves. I would say he was a better defender than Knott, but people on here would freak out.

Reactions: BBHMagic

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
I realize that. Johnson and Watson are very similar. You said you haven't seen someone break up as many passes in a while, I was just stating that Johnson wasn't that long ago. He is a player that doesn't get the respect he deserves. I would say he was a better defender than Knott, but people on here would freak out.

If you are talking about LJ I would agree with you. That takes nothing away from Knott's awesomeness but I love the way LJ played and he might be my favorite Cyclone of all time.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Jansen Watson for sure according to Rhoads.

There must be a shortage of midget defensive backs at the next level. IIRC Rhoads said that Steele Jantz had a real good shot of playing on Sundays. Does the Arena League play their games on Sundays?

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
In my experience there is an inverse relationship between A) Team win-loss record and B) The amount of praise the head coach has for redshirting players.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
Why would you listen to any of the coach speak that is constantly blown up our *****. I'm just going to wait and see from now on.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The depressing thing is that we are hanging a this whole discussion on a few words about a red shirt player given by a coach that has a terrible record of developing/managing the QB position. I cannot name one QB that improved even marginally under this staff and scheme.

I firmly believe it doesn't matter who is QB and what natural ability they possess (relatively speaking). Until we have better coaching on the offensive end, no QB will succeed here. That's what 4.5 years has shown me.

In my experience there is an inverse relationship between A) Team win-loss record and B) The amount of praise the head coach has for redshirting players.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I wouldn't be shocked, if our o-line is this bad next year, that we see a three QB rotation.

Lanning = Belldozer package (not joking)
Hodge = Run
SR = Actual QB

Sam plays 75% of snaps, and Hodge and Lanning only throw 10% of the time.

3 QB package. You heard it here first.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
That's a little harsh. George is our best LB, Tuftee is hurt/has been hurt all year, and Miller still has a season and a half to prove his worth.

At any rate, I bet Hodge is our 3rd string next year. Lanning will probably move to some type of Full Back/Jeff Woody type role. Or maybe TE.

CPR has been very clear that Joel Lanning is a QB. If he was going to move he would have done it already.

These discussions are worthless anyway. No QB in the nation, not even Johnny Football would look good with this abomination of an OLine.

Lanning is NOT going to change that.

CykoAGR

Dec 16, 2008
Waukee, IA
Talent for next level:
George looks good. Kirby looks good. Watson has a shot. Maybe Aaron and Washington.
Anybody else?
Farniok? Irving? Knott? Bundrage? West? Bibbs?

George- No, not consistent enough
Kirby- LOCK
Watson- Will probably get a look as a FA
Wimberly- Needs an Oline to block for him to show off his skills (might get a look as a PR or KR, FA)
Washington- No, liability in coverage. Go watch the last two games against Baylor and TTU
Farniok- LOCK he will get drafted barring injury

Too early to tell for the others