Joel Lanning

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
LOL, after hearing what Rhoads said about George, Miller, and Tuftee, I will never believe any of his scouting reports on future players.
That's a little harsh. George is our best LB, Tuftee is hurt/has been hurt all year, and Miller still has a season and a half to prove his worth.

At any rate, I bet Hodge is our 3rd string next year. Lanning will probably move to some type of Full Back/Jeff Woody type role. Or maybe TE.

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
Lanning only plays if we decide to use him as a Colin Klein type of guy.

If that is the case it means that ISU has changed their offensive philosophy and most likely that Messingham is back coaching in the NAIA or high school ranks where he belongs. Where do I sign up to make that happen?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I wonder if Joel is licking his chops thinking about next year. With a seasoned Offensive line and lazard coming in I think the offense could be salty if there is even an average QB at the helm.

Does anybody know how well things are going for him on the scout team and if they expect him to compete for the starting job next year? Or am I just falling into the trap of thinking the back-up QB is going to be the next great thing?

Good thing Richardson is at least an average QB, if not better.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
That's a little harsh. George is our best LB, Tuftee is hurt/has been hurt all year, and Miller still has a season and a half to prove his worth.

At any rate, I bet Hodge is our 3rd string next year. Lanning will probably move to some type of Full Back/Jeff Woody type role. Or maybe TE.

Talent for next level:
George looks good. Kirby looks good. Watson has a shot. Maybe Aaron and Washington.
Anybody else?
Farniok? Irving? Knott? Bundrage? West? Bibbs?

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Rhoads had some pretty good things to say about Lanning when asked a few weeks ago what younger players are standing out in practice. When asked in general terms the first guy that Rhoads brought up was Lanning. My guess is that Lanning looks like the best of the ISU QB's because he is running the scout team offense... AKA... he is running every teams offense except Messingham's. That has to be a major factor in his success on the practice field.

HAHA that's funny and so true. Lanning has the upper hand in the battle running everything but Measinghams offense.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I love how some of you think he could be really good and others think he has no chance to ever play. Probably should wait until next year to see what happens. BTW, for you guys saying 0% chance of playing you must know, or think you know something the rest of us have no clue on. If nothing else, I would like to see a big QB lined up under center on less than 2 yards to a first down situations, because ISU is horrible at these now.

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I would love for Hodge to be a shifty QB who can come in and just run read option or Lanning to be in the mold of Collin Klein and come in and run a power read option.

That might save the health of SR a little bit.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Talent for next level:
George looks good. Kirby looks good. Watson has a shot. Maybe Aaron and Washington.
Anybody else?

Farniok is probably the most likely NFL player on our current roster.

cyclonestate

May 4, 2009
never will play QB at ISU

I just love posts like this. Nothing to support your statement, no rationale provided. It's just stated as though it's an undisputable fact. Thanks so much for your thoughtful contribution and your profound insight.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Talent for next level:
Anybody else?
Jansen Watson for sure according to Rhoads.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
Watson is the only one with the talent to do it, however his lack of ball skills will probably keep him out of the NFL.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Watson is the only one with the talent to do it, however his lack of ball skills will probably keep him out of the NFL.

:huh: His ball skills are fantastic. He's ripped out more catches and broken up more passes than any corner I've seen at ISU in a long time. If anything keeps him out of the NFL its his height.

Yes13

Oct 9, 2009
:huh: His ball skills are fantastic. He's ripped out more catches and broken up more passes than any corner I've seen at ISU in a long time. If anything keeps him out of the NFL its his height.
If he had those skills those could've easily been picks. And Leonard Johnson was only 2 years ago.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009

Agree. It's taken George awhile for the light to turn on but he had some great games last year and might be All Big XII this season. Tuftee has the knees of 70 year old man according to one of the trainers I know.

Miller has been disappointing but I don't remember Rhoads saying anything about him other than he was excited about him getting to campus early and he's physical.