Joel Lanning

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Guessing Hodge will be 3rd string. I doubt Lanning ever takes a QB snap at ISU.
100% agree with this. I watched him play and was never real impressed with his accuracy. But he is a beast out there.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
0% is wwwaaaayyyyy too black and white. Injuries are far too common in college football to say that. As an ISU fan, I'd think we'd know almost better than anyone how true that is.

Shoot wasn't it only two years ago that Barnett came into the season as our 3rd string quarterback (behind Tiller and Steele) and he never started a game that season right? Wait.......

original.jpg

Last edited:

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
I have continually heard Hodge is outperforming Lanning.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
When CPR was asked about the performance of young players on the team, he called out Lanning, not Hodge.

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
Isn't Hodge a better probable 3rd string than Lanning?

I'd say even if it is true, it is only speculation. Neither of them have ever shown up on any published depth chart that I can remember. I've heard CPR talk very good about both of them and in fact, more so about Lanning than Hodge though. I've heard CPR talk about how much of a cannon Lanning has showed to have for an arm (he talked as if it kind of surprised him a bit).

Last edited:

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
The fact of the matter is that if Lazard is everything the rankings say he is, he can be our Mike Evans. Imagine our offense if Mess would just let the QB cut loose for once and let Lazard go one-on-one (or even one-on-two) for a jump ball. But they never loosen the reins on this offense at all. It's ridiculous.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
And with Montgomery playing next year, there's no way Sam Richardson doesn't start.

Good point. The D should be better and if we can get the same OL out there for more than one game at a time with a healthy SR, we will be a much better team.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
Rhoads had some pretty good things to say about Lanning when asked a few weeks ago what younger players are standing out in practice. When asked in general terms the first guy that Rhoads brought up was Lanning. My guess is that Lanning looks like the best of the ISU QB's because he is running the scout team offense... AKA... he is running every teams offense except Messingham's. That has to be a major factor in his success on the practice field.

Yep, he said that on the call in show. He talked about Lanning being an unbelievable leader. He then went on to mention that he has a canon, good accuracy, and is a fantastic runner.

We may have another quarterback battle next year. I think it will be hard for the freshmen Lanning to take over for the Junior Sam though because Sam himself could be the best QB we've had since Seneca when its all said and done. Unfortunately we also have one of our worst offensive lines this year and he's been battling injuries so its been tough on his development.

Reactions: cyhiphopp

Yes13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2009
Yep, he said that on the call in show. He talked about Lanning being an unbelievable leader. He then went on to mention that he has a canon, good accuracy, and is a fantastic runner.
LOL, after hearing what Rhoads said about George, Miller, and Tuftee, I will never believe any of his scouting reports on future players.

Help Support Us

Become a patron