Attachments

• D47EA719-00D1-412F-A703-33710A098163.png
    D47EA719-00D1-412F-A703-33710A098163.png
    31 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
I talked to somebody that was there. They went through all the high school coaches that were there, and then Schwab spoke first among the state schools. Everything was running along fine until Gilman got up to speak next, then things got awkward. He immediately started dropping f-bombs all over the place. This is with a mixed crowd, including women and children, and Siddens and Gable sitting in the front row. He then looks at Dresser and says that Iowa-ISU isn't a rivalry since Iowa has continually kicked our ass. While not factually inaccurate this seems like an odd place for that kind of talk. Next he says that would start with Schwab, take him outside and and kick his ass, then return for each of the ISU coaches and do the same with them, right down the line.

It sounds like Metcalf went up to Gilman after the event, grabbed him by the arm, and said something at very close range. Nobody is sure what was said. Gilman then left immediately without sticking around to sign anything.

Sounds like it was quite the evening. I'd like to personally take this opportunity to thank Brands for sending Gilman to represent Iowa wrestling.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
Gilman still a douche bag?

200.webp

Reactions: HGoat

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I talked to somebody that was there. They went through all the high school coaches that were there, and then Schwab spoke first among the state schools. Everything was running along fine until Gilman got up to speak next, then things got awkward. He immediately started dropping f-bombs all over the place. This is with a mixed crowd, including women and children, and Siddens and Gable sitting in the front row. He then looks at Dresser and says that Iowa-ISU isn't a rivalry since Iowa has continually kicked our ass. While not factually inaccurate this seems like an odd place for that kind of talk. Next he says that would start with Schwab, take him outside and and kick his ass, then return for each of the ISU coaches and do the same with them, right down the line.

It sounds like Metcalf went up to Gilman after the event, grabbed him by the arm, and said something at very close range. Nobody is sure what was said. Gilman then left immediately without sticking around to sign anything.

Sounds like it was quite the evening. I'd like to personally take this opportunity to thank Brands for sending Gilman to represent Iowa wrestling.
I talked to someone who was there as well and got the same story.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Thanks for posting the video. Looks like Gilman was part trying to be tough and part trying to be funny and just came off looking like jackass (himself) on both counts.
He is young, dumb and immature. It's good to have tension/rivalry between the programs but should be united to lift up the sport.
I'm curious how Gable feels about Iowa not coming back to the event next year?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I am not a wrestling fan and I just watched the Hawkeye guy talk. That is embarrassing. That is not Gable at all. If he was an Iowa State coach I would think I would show him the door. THis was a fundraiser?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA
He is young, dumb and immature. It's good to have tension/rivalry between the programs but should be united to lift up the sport.
I'm curious how Gable feels about Iowa not coming back to the event next year?

Iowa will always say all the right things about promoting the sport but at the end of the day it only happens if it's what's best for their program and it ends up benefiting the sport along the way.

I still don't understand how Gilman is the guy Brands chose to have speak on his behalf. Berhow is an actual UofI employee, while Gilman is with the HWC. Sure, he's a hot name internationally right now but he's got a long ways to go in terms of carrying himself. Either Berhow or McDonough would've handled themselves much better, and at least McD actually has some hardware to back up his smack. Gilman runs his mouth about ISU and UNI while he doesn't have an NCAA individual or team title to his name. Hell, I would've rather listened to Sammy Brooks talk about his mullet. If Gilman was a baseball player you'd say he had a million dollar arm and a 10 cent head.

Cyk Aboody

Feb 20, 2017
I’ve attended fight night several times, and it has always been a fun, and hilarious event. Gilman completely missed the spirit of fight night....Breaking balls was expected, and encouraged, but not disrespectful the way Gilman did it. I have always thought that he was a d-bag, and this doesn’t do anything to change my opinion of him.

yler4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 23, 2009
Ankeny, IA
I just watched the video and really didn't think it was that bad. He called the ISU and UNI rivalry non-existent. I guess if you look at the past few years Iowa has dominated us both on the Mat and at Nationals. I do think we have the right coaching staff to turn it around though.

EDIT: CKD called them "oranges" as well as talked about how Iowa avoided them at VT.

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron