Jimmy Johns

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Anyone else think that JJ's quality suffered when it EXPLODED overnight from a college town only franchise, to doubling their locations within said college towns, and being available everywhere? It just seems like the meat and veggies aren't as fresh anymore. I still like Jimmy John's, but they just seem to have slipped.

It's so weird, because when I started at ISU in Fall of '03, I hadn't ever heard of it, and only saw it in Ames and Iowa City between then and 2005. Then all of a sudden there were like 5 in Ames, and Jimmy Johns in a ton of towns. I've never seen a chain expand so quickly.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I always thought it was better when it was in the old Dogtown store, and when Battles was down there it was better too.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Anyone else think that JJ's quality suffered when it EXPLODED overnight from a college town only franchise, to doubling their locations within said college towns, and being available everywhere? It just seems like the meat and veggies aren't as fresh anymore. I still like Jimmy John's, but they just seem to have slipped.

It's so weird, because when I started at ISU in Fall of '03, I hadn't ever heard of it, and only saw it in Ames and Iowa City between then and 2005. Then all of a sudden there were like 5 in Ames, and Jimmy Johns in a ton of towns. I've never seen a chain expand so quickly.

I agree. I think that it has fallen off a little. Still really good and still way better than Subway, but not as good as it was 5 years ago.

josh777

Apr 13, 2006

I just can't figure out why the one on Main St. closed. That was my favorite to go to. Easily had the most room and best set up of any JJ location in Ames.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA

Two out of three times the bread is rock hard.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
JJ's is meh at best. Very boring subs with little taste. Not worth the money, IMO.

JRCampy

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I haven't noticed the quality so much as the quantity. I don't know if it's me or what but it seems like their sandwiches are slowly shrinking while their prices slowly grow. When I was in school the bigger sandwiches were $3.75 and they're what, like $5.25 now?? Meanwhile I feel like there really is not difference in the quantity you get with the bigger sandwiches compared to the cheaper ones (not the slims). Could be just the old man in me starting to emerge...

I ALSO remember you could get 3 Domino's Pizza's for $8.99 my freshman year, but that's a different story...:wink:

Cloner97

Apr 11, 2006
They recently had one of these in Kansas City and there were people lined up out the door from 11-3, so you'd better get there early or be prepared to wait a while for your sandwich. No toppings or condiments I believe, which makes it faster

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
They recently had one of these in Kansas City and there were people lined up out the door from 11-3, so you'd better get there early or be prepared to wait a while for your sandwich. No toppings or condiments I believe, which makes it faster

This is correct. I heard people at the office mentioning lines out the door and around the store, but they also said that they had a ton of staff at JJ's and that they only waited about 10 minutes to get through the line. So by the sounds of things, it will look a lot worse than it actually is.

DMjazz

Apr 14, 2006
Des Moines

I don't know when JJs expanded to Iowa, but the franchises in Illinois were great in the 90s. The original JJs in Charleston, Il was the best by far.

The one by Drake has the WORST service of any JJs I've ever been to and I've been to a ton of them.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
I delivered Jimmy John's on my bike for 9 months, and I can tell you from personal eye witness accounts, I have never sen more weed smoked on the job in my life. Drivers, managers, customers. They had this empty basement that was always in recreational use. Once a driver ate half of a magic brownie, got hungry, and ate the other half. He was on the road until almost 1 AM before anybody decided to take any safety measures.

Don't even get me started on the owner. Can somebody explain why every two months or so the owner would enter the store with $2500-$3000 cash and tell you to ring up that much in sales? If this wasn't textbook money laundering, I have no idea what is.

ddisu

Nov 11, 2009
Toledo
I delivered Jimmy John's on my bike for 9 months, and I can tell you from personal eye witness accounts, I have never sen more weed smoked on the job in my life. Drivers, managers, customers. They had this empty basement that was always in recreational use. Once a driver ate half of a magic brownie, got hungry, and ate the other half. He was on the road until almost 1 AM before anybody decided to take any safety measures.

Don't even get me started on the owner. Can somebody explain why every two months or so the owner would enter the store with $2500-$3000 cash and tell you to ring up that much in sales? If this wasn't textbook money laundering, I have no idea what is.

That's better than what my friends and I came up with. We had to look up money laundering in the dictionary and we were trying to find a drug dealer. Should have went to JJ for some help.

Isn't each store a franchise and owned by that individual? I went to college with a guy who was a manager on Main st and I think he now owns a couple (or did). He would fit that category pretty well.