Jimbo Fisher unloads on Saban

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I have zero inside knowledge about the situation, but I'm guessing there is a grain of truth on both sides:

- A&M did buy their players (in the sense of NIL)
- Saban probably does have a shady dark past
- 'Bama probably did all the exact same things that they are accusing A&M of doing.

If it's all legal now, why so butthurt?

I pretty much agree. It's pretty clear that Saban is absolutely right that A&M's class is bought and paid for. I'm confident that Saban allowed shenanigans to go on that helped build his LSU and Alabama programs.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Obviously it's hilarious since everyone cheats. But if I were Jimbo, I wouldn't even flinch and just use this for recruiting. "Yeah, like Saban said, come here and get paid"

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Alabama is self sustaining because of the **** they did before. A&M is trying to replicate what Alabama did to build that self sustaining program and Saban is throwing a temper tantrum.
That's not my point though. I don't even think Saban's comments were that malicious or angry. He's just saying fake NIL has allowed A&M to do this. That's a fact and Jimbo get's butt hurt about that reality.

At the end of the day it two guys who are indirectly saying the way they cheat/cheated is "better" than the way the other guys do. It's why everyone hates the SEC.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
What advantages does Alabama have that A&M doesn't? The only difference I can see is that Alabama has Saban and a better winning record.
They have way more tradition. That's not to say A&M doesn't have all the resources to do the same type of stuff. A&M has long history of underachieving.

• Agree
Reactions: ScottyP

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
In short, Saban was presenting to local business leaders at some function. Saban goes off on a little tangent saying that A&M's entire recruiting class was bought and paid for (pay for play) and that is not the intent of NIL. While Alabama players have gone out themselves to find agents and deals themselves (according to Saban).

Where have the Bama players been getting all of those fancy sports cars over the years? For Saban to call out someone for shady tactics is funny IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

tman24

Feb 6, 2008
Bama can't afford to keep up with A&M with current energy prices..

A&M and UT are being flooded with cash right now..
Yep. Bama did fine when barely anyone else was doing it. Now everyone is doing it without issue and they suddenly have a problem with it.

Reactions: Clonefan32

Paddythefatty

Jul 25, 2021
That's not my point though. I don't even think Saban's comments were that malicious or angry. He's just saying fake NIL has allowed A&M to do this. That's a fact and Jimbo get's butt hurt about that reality.

At the end of the day it two guys who are indirectly saying the way they cheat/cheated is "better" than the way the other guys do. It's why everyone hates the SEC.
What is fake NIL? Its all legal & Bama is doing the same thing. What this is really about, A&M now has deeper pockets(oil money) than Bama, where as before Bama probably had the bigger network of boosters(probably one of the biggest) using underhanded/illegal tactics(bagman). I remember Coach K complaining about Calipari’s one&done’s before he used it to win another title

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Yep. Bama did fine when barely anyone else was doing it. Now everyone is doing it without issue and they suddenly have a problem with it.

They'll be ok.. But I'm sure Saban is pissed about his $1000 handshakes no longer holding weight. His class is 6-7 commits behind his peers

1652984271822.png

NodawayRiverClone

May 1, 2018
What is fake NIL? Its all legal & Bama is doing the same thing. What this is really about, A&M now has deeper pockets(oil money) than Bama, where as before Bama probably had the bigger network of boosters(probably one of the biggest) using underhanded/illegal tactics(bagman). I remember Coach K complaining about Calipari’s one&done’s before he used it to win another title
Sounds like Saban is saying TAM broke the only "rule" that applies to NIL, that the Athletic Dept/Univ. cannot be involved in determining who gets paid and how much. Bama apparently does it right, where businesses/boosters choose who to pay and how much, not Saban.

And here we stand, pockets turned out, mouths a gape, watching the rich boys fight over who has moral fiber.