Jerky Recipes

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

whirlybirds

Oct 25, 2007
Knoxville, IA
I got a dehydrator for Christmas last year and been making jerky like crazy over the last few months trying to find a good recipe that works. I found one on youtube and it didn't turn out too well. It called for 1 cup of soy sauce and 1 cup of Worcestershire, with spices, and it had some nasty off flavors going on. After that I decided to stay away from marinades and do simple seasonings. So far the curing salt and cracked black pepper works the best. Today I've decided to go back to the marinades. Right now I've got:

1/2 cup Worcestershire
1 1/2 Tsp liquid smoke
garlic powder
cracked pepper
curing salt

Anyone got a good recipe that works for them?

GTO

Mar 25, 2014
North DFW, TX
I misread the thread and thought it was about Herky recipes. Was just about to say that we burned that ****** up last Friday!

ruflosn

Dec 21, 2008
Use 93-7 ground turkey. Double the spices per pound that the directions call for. Mix cure, meat and dry seasoning, let sit in firdge over night. Dehydrate and enjoy.

0u812

Jan 14, 2012
I am going off the top of my head, but this is the base idea.....I use ground beef and ground turkey, the leaner the better. Half of each meat....say you are doing 1 lb of each, 2 total. I use High Mountain jerky mix, which has a spice component, and a cure/salt component. Use at least 1 tablespoon of each of those. Add in 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke (I use hickory or mesquite), 2 tablespoons of soy sauce (I use the low sodium kind, as its salty enough), 1 tablespoon of bbq sauce of your choice, 1 teaspoon of seasoning salt, 1 teaspoon of garlic salt, 1/2 teaspoon of chili powder, few shakes of greek seasoning, a few shakes of crushed red pepper.

This is the basic recipe, and then I add or subtract as you would like for different twists. I ended up liking either more spice (add Tapatio, or red chinese hot sauce (I call it **** sauce, due to the chicken on the bottle), or a garlic and black pepper version (add more garlic powder, and ground black pepper)....

One thing I have noticed is that I prefer it to be less "cooked" as I have overdone it in my dehydrator....ends up turning out tasting burned, and is too dry/crispy....not a good combo.

Last edited:

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Do you use ground meat or sliced? I use ground beef and my most popular flavor is made with jerky spice from Nesco. (one of the cheaper ones out there).

I use 1/2 original jerky spice and 1/2 Andouille sausage. I'll often add some extra smoke flavor as well.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
A buddy of mine used seasoning and added liquid smoke and brown sugar, it was really good.