Jeremiah Williams out for the year

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm assuming he has to sit out because he dropped out of school the first semester at Georgetown. It has to have something to do with that. I don't understand why the reason he didn't get a waiver hasn't been researched and reported by Chris, Jared, Hines, or Randy. Or maybe they've tried and TJ and Tre don't want the reason released or something. Very strange how it's been kept a secret though.
I think it's as simple as: this was the second time he transferred, so the one-time transfer rule doesn't apply. He's also not a grad transfer. The NCAA determined his reasoning or leaving Georgetown wasn't good enough to warrant a waiver. End of story. Whatever the personal reasons are he left wont be made public unless he wants to talk about them so Chris, Jared or other reporters either don't know the reasons, or can't say it.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
I read Georgetown boards at time we got T King.. First he was kicked out by Georgetown not b-ball program.. second it was like 2 weeks into first semester and according to Hoya boards it was something like not citing sources on paper etc.. something like that and Georgetown booted him..

Georgetown elite academic school so they really strict.

T king put out statement at time apologizing and owning it..

Any way.. idk how accurate that is but it was pretty much consensus on Hoya boards what happened

• Informative
Reactions: isutrevman

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Ah, that is why I must've thought they were poor defensively then. Didn't watch a lot of them outside of the two games v.s. us. At the time I remember thinking they were really swiss cheesey to make our offense look as fluid as it did.

They were bad vs. a vast majority of the conference.

Would have been 'stifling' in the B1G.

Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I read Georgetown boards at time we got T King.. First he was kicked out by Georgetown not b-ball program.. second it was like 2 weeks into first semester and according to Hoya boards it was something like not citing sources on paper etc.. something like that and Georgetown booted him..

Georgetown elite academic school so they really strict.

T king put out statement at time apologizing and owning it..

Any way.. idk how accurate that is but it was pretty much consensus on Hoya boards what happened

Yeah, that is what I understood, too.

Tre did a poor job citing something. Judging academic misconduct can be difficult sometimes -- the line between plagiarism and simply a student who doesn't have the knowledge or experience on what and how to attribute things the way an experienced professor does can be a fuzzy one.

Sounds like GT thought it was misconduct and tossed him. Sounds like Iowa State was willing to interpret it as an honest mistake and give him another chance. To the NCAA, Tre already had his one free transfer in moving from EKU to GT, so he's had to sit with his second transfer over to ISU.

Annoying, sure, but I don't think utterly unfair given he already used his free one.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
I'm sure not being in good academic standing had a lot to do with the NCAA's decision. I bet it's more about that, than it is him transferring twice. Because it seems that pretty much every transfer that has transferred twice and not a grad transfer, are still getting waivers.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I commented and gave my "sorry" in another thread.

But Jeremiah, If you are reading this here, very sorry about your injury! Hope you get well soon and that we see you next year!!

To a full and speedy recovery!

Reactions: Cyclad

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I have a feeling we are going to miss Williams this year. Lipsey was solid but I feel like this team could use another adept ball handler especially once we get to conference play. I had Williams penciled in as the type of guy that isn't amazing at one thing but good at a lot of things and just kind stuffs the stat sheet 7-9 points, a few rebounds, a few assists, a couple steals, good defense, and can handle some ball pressure

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Lipsey is going to get thrown to the wolves. We'll win some games, but I imagine conference play will be kind of a grind again (even though TCU almost lost a buy game, and OU DID lose a buy game).

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I have a feeling we are going to miss Williams this year. Lipsey was solid but I feel like this team could use another adept ball handler especially once we get to conference play. I had Williams penciled in as the type of guy that isn't amazing at one thing but good at a lot of things and just kind stuffs the stat sheet 7-9 points, a few rebounds, a few assists, a couple steals, good defense, and can handle some ball pressure

Yup. Things got a lot more choppy when Tamin was out of the game. No Williams will hurt.

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
After last night, I see Lipsey as a Jacy Holloway-type PG. He won't score much (if at all) but initiates the offense, moves the ball, and makes good decisions.

Reactions: isutrevman

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
After last night, I see Lipsey as a Jacy Holloway-type PG. He won't score much (if at all) but initiates the offense, moves the ball, and makes good decisions.
He was one of the most underrated point guard ISU ever had. Did a lot of things for the team -- including nailing a crucial 3-point bucket to give ISU the first lead in the 1996 Big 8 title game victory over Kansas

Reactions: Cyclonepride

isucyfan

Speechless
Apr 21, 2006
Saint Paul, MN
He was one of the most underrated point guard ISU ever had. Did a lot of things for the team -- including nailing a crucial 3-point bucket to give ISU the first lead in the 1996 Big 8 title game victory over Kansas
Absolutely. Tim Floyd had to tell the guy to shoot. Glad he did in that title game.

blutarsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2010
St. Paul, MN
I'd take that for sure, but I'll bet Tamin shoots more than that (just not a lot).
I agree... I thought he passed up a few open looks last night. It's game one. Ways to go with Lipsey. I hope he confidently steps into a few of those shots down the road.

It might not get brought up, but Eli King looked sneaky in he few minutes of play. Granted... against IUPUI anyone can. I thought he moved well and played aggressive. Will be fun to watch him develop as the season continues.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I agree... I thought he passed up a few open looks last night. It's game one. Ways to go with Lipsey. I hope he confidently steps into a few of those shots down the road.

It might not get brought up, but Eli King looked sneaky in he few minutes of play. Granted... against IUPUI anyone can. I thought he moved well and played aggressive. Will be fun to watch him develop as the season continues.

At halftime warmups king was nailing 3 after 3

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
Any update on Williams recovery?

When this news broke, my first thought was: "Crap, there goes the year,". Two years into TJ and I must now simply trust that TJ will find a way.

Williams injury made it possible for Lipsey to step up, however, it would be nice to have both. I think Lipsey would have still commanded minutes leaving Holmes and Grill to focus more on being a #2 when Lipsey needs a break.

Last edited:

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Any update on Williams recovery?

When this news broke, my first thought was: "Crap, there goes the year,". Two years into TJ and I must now simply trust that TJ will find a way.

Williams injury made it possible for Lipsey to step up, however, it would be nice to have both. I think Lipsey would have still commanded minutes leaving Homes and Grill to focus more on being a #2 when Lipsey needs a break.

What I heard from a student is that he is walking normal, no crutches now, and not in a boot any longer. Not sure about running and playing basetball yet. THink that is a few months away.