Jeff Woody

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
I think it is fair to call that a special circumstance. That was an impressive showcase by our Oline and by Woody.

The worst way we could use Woody is as a specialty power back when the defense knows we are going to run it. You have to switch it up or you tip your hand, which we did a lot last year including that safety.

KO and Hammerschmidt were destroying people on that drive.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
More than likely, a majority of our rushing plays will be the zone read. In a typical zone read, there should be a 50% chance the QB keeps it and a 50% chance they give it to the running back. We will use anywhere from 3 to 6 running backs, but only one QB. Due to all this, it's very likely Richardson will lead the team in rushing.

If that's the case, it's very likely that we'll see Rohach sooner than later...and also likely that either Hodge or Lanning will end up pulling the RS. Zone read is hard on qbs, especially when they're not that big.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I hope we run less zone read due to SR being a better passer than Jared Barnett and a better decision maker than Steele Jantz, (as well as better passer). I honestly think a lot of the zone read by Jantz was due to the fact that he didn't make good decisions throwing hte ball with a lot of picks. You never knew what you were gonna get with him. You can already see with SR that he is likely gonna be more consistent with the right decsions being made with the throwing ability to keep everyone honest. Will he be the second coming of Seneca, no but he likley will be better at not being so 1 dimensional like JB.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I would be personally happy with more run-pass options opposed to the typical zone read. The spread offense requires a lot of option if you want a running game at all, IMO. The question is if it is done in a way that has the quarterback running or not.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
With our stable of running backs, I wouldn't mind seeing some wildcat from time to time. SR won't get as beat up that way and we can get a few RBs on the field at the same time.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm wondering if Standard doesn't take some of Woody's carries this fall.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If that's the case, it's very likely that we'll see Rohach sooner than later...and also likely that either Hodge or Lanning will end up pulling the RS. Zone read is hard on qbs, especially when they're not that big.

We've ran a lot of zone reads the last few years with frankly very few injuries. Not saying we won't see Rohach some every once in a while, but just because we run a lot doesn't mean SR is destined for an injury that keeps him out for more than a few plays.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I don't care if it's a walk on I've never heard of - I just want a sold running game and not this 1-2 yard zone read crap.

Get at least 4-5avg and all is good.

Iowa State running backs averaged 4.8 ypc last year. Sam was a good runner. I'd like to see significantly more carries by the backs and I like how much Sam carries it. Best offense IMO, especially with our receivers being suspect at best and without the depth at d line we are used to.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Woody is one of those guys that will do tons of good without being on the field as well. His leadership will do tons, IMO.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I'd like to see Woody get more carries. I think he's proven more versatile than just a "power" running situation. He's had more than a few 10+ yard carries in his day.

I don't know if you make him the "every down" back, but he's just a very effective "change of pace" guy as opposed to a situational role player.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
As long as ISU isn't handing the ball off to him in the zone read from their own 1 yd line again...

Too soon! That one still hurts. I was just beyond the endzone with my camera right on him to capture a great moment in Iowa State football . . . that didn't happen.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Too soon! That one still hurts. I was just beyond the endzone with my camera right on him to capture a great moment in Iowa State football . . . that didn't happen.

That was just a bad play call. If I were CPR I would have had a long talk with Mess after that. I know there were some missed blocks, but that doesn't excuse the call :mad:

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
We've ran a lot of zone reads the last few years with frankly very few injuries. Not saying we won't see Rohach some every once in a while, but just because we run a lot doesn't mean SR is destined for an injury that keeps him out for more than a few plays.

I think that you must have a bad memory. ISU hasn't been rotating QBs throughout the year for the heck of it. Arnaud missed the Nebraska upset that first year. And it went on from there. Jantz and Barnett both took turns getting beat up. SR might not have even got a chance last year if Jantz wasn't dinged vs KU. Yeah, we haven't had many guys be out for long stretches, but they've been hurt a lot....and you can see them getting gunshy as the season goes on. IMO the key to a better offense is less zone read and less designed QB runs.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009

Two different plays. I think that the earlier poster was talking about the opener last year vs Tulsa where Woody got pinned for a safety. And you're talking about the WV game where he was on THEIR 1 going in to score.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
I think that you must have a bad memory. ISU hasn't been rotating QBs throughout the year for the heck of it. Arnaud missed the Nebraska upset that first year. And it went on from there. Jantz and Barnett both took turns getting beat up. SR might not have even got a chance last year if Jantz wasn't dinged vs KU. Yeah, we haven't had many guys be out for long stretches, but they've been hurt a lot....and you can see them getting gunshy as the season goes on. IMO the key to a better offense is less zone read and less designed QB runs.

Majority of the switching QB's over the last two years has been because of of poor play rather than a dinged up QB. In fact, Richardson coming in for Jantz was the only time last year when a quarterback came in purely because of an injury. I cannot remember how Arnaud's injuries came.

Regardless, they haven't been injuries to keep QB's out for long stretches the last two years. Only injury that actually kept a QB out for more than a couple plays was Jantz vs. Kansas.

4Cyclones

Sep 10, 2009
Ankeny
I really, really want to see some direct snaps to Jeff Woody in short yardage situations this year.

I want to see Woody in the slot, blocking for a sweep. Then as the Rb cuts inside the block, the defenders dumps the block to get the ball carrier. Then the RB pitches to Woody :) I forget who runs this, but it would work awesome with Woody.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Coach K had three 1,000 yard rushers in one season at Nevada... Including the QB. Sam will be a top 3 and maybe even top 2 rusher here... It just depends on how we split the carries between all these RB's.