Jeff Woody hopes we lose to TCU on Saturday

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

What say you? Do you agree with Jeff, or are you a loyal son forever true?

• Yes, I want TCU to beat Iowa State to increase their odds of making CFP

Votes: 125 30.3%
  • No, to hell with TCU and the Big 12, Go State!

Votes: 287 69.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
What about the week to week rankings have made you think they have meaning and are locked in stone? What I’ve observed is “we’ll make up whatever the **** we want on the last week”.

I think the SEC would get the same favors as OSU but just hadn’t needed them. I think multiple SEC teams are actually better than TCU, unlike the year they got screwed where I thought TCU should have been #2 or #3 and was playing best in nation.

The Big 12 is deepest conference but I don’t think we have an elite team this year. TCU or Baylor could have both won it all that year they screwed TCU. Hope I’m wrong but I think they’ll get smoked this year.
I don’t think the week to week rankings matter at all. People need to stop treating them like they do mean anything. What I am saying is there is no way on the final rankings that TCU is not in the top four if they go undefeated. It’s not going to happen.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I don’t think the week to week rankings matter at all. People need to stop treating them like they do mean anything. What I am saying is there is no way on the final rankings that TCU is not in the top four if they go undefeated. It’s not going to happen.

You could be right, I was expecting Cincy to get bumped last year and it never happened. Like TCU this year, I didn't think Cincy was capable of winning it anyway. The thing that stings the year they dropped TCU three spots was it was pretty clear they had it in them to win the thing.

Maybe one of their ever changing criteria is is that they value undefeated above anything. For me that doesn't really matter because college football is so unbalanced in scheduling and conference strength.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017

As to your 2014 stuff, yes I think TCU may have been the best team and should have been in, but you can thank the Big 12 just as much for the on true champion crap and then refusing to name one true champion, which would have been Baylor. I actually think Baylor was very flawed that year but their offense was insane. TCU was the best all around team aside from maybe Alabama that year. Ohio State got rolling at the right time on both sides of the ball.

What angered me more was later when Penn State was left out of the CFP in favor of Ohio State just because they thought Ohio State was the better team and Penn State had two losses to the Buckeyes one. Well accept that one loss was to Penn State and that same Penn State won the division and conference Ohio State plays in. If the games clearly don’t matter then in hindsight the 2014 committee could and should have said, “Baylor beat TCU at home by the slimmest of margins (super questionable call too) but we just think TCU is the better team so they go in.” They were too afraid to make that decision so they took the easy way out and just took Ohio State after that drubbing of Wisconsin to justify it because Baylor was not a good enough team honestly. In year one of this thing though they were not going to get into that can of worms of the head to head and actual results not mattering. It was a joke.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
You could be right, I was expecting Cincy to get bumped last year and it never happened. Like TCU this year, I didn't think Cincy was capable of winning it anyway. The thing that stings the year they dropped TCU three spots was it was pretty clear they had it in them to win the thing.

Maybe one of their ever changing criteria is is that they value undefeated above anything. For me that doesn't really matter because college football is so unbalanced in scheduling and conference strength.
Agree. TCU will get smashed by Georgia but that’s how most semifinals have been. Undefeated really does matter, especially in the P5 because there is nothing the committee can fall back on to make up an excuse. Just one loss gives them the wiggle room to blow everything open on a team. By not losing, even if they are all 1-point OT wins, you didn’t give them ANY ammunition to use against you.

Like I said above, Florida State did just that in 2014. They were not even a top-6 team but they never lost so the committee had zero choice. Then they promptly got obliterated by Oregon in the semis.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

Clone95

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 13, 2019
If ISU was to beat TCU this weekend, but TCU wins the CCG, and South Carolina beats Clemson and ND beats USC. It'd be interesting how they'd look at a 1 loss conference champion vs 2 loss conference champions (ACC and Pac 12), a 1 loss non champion (Michigan), a 2 loss non champion (Alabama).

I assume the top 4 in that scenerio would be: 1) GA, 2) OSU, 3) Michigan, 4) Alabama.

Edited to say I guess it wouldn't be interesting at all, they'd just say TCU had the only bad loss and thus is out immediately.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
If ISU was to beat TCU this weekend, but TCU wins the CCG, and South Carolina beats Clemson and ND beats USC. It'd be interesting how they'd look at a 1 loss conference champion vs 2 loss conference champions (ACC and Pac 12), a 1 loss non champion (Michigan), a 2 loss non champion (Alabama).

I assume the top 4 in that scenerio would be: 1) GA, 2) OSU, 3) Michigan, 4) Alabama.

Edited to say I guess it wouldn't be interesting at all, they'd just say TCU had the only bad loss and thus is out immediately.
There are some crazy scenarios I am hoping for but these things never happen. We all talk these type of scenarios and year after year it mostly just falls into place. We need a full Armageddon year before this thing goes to 12 teams.

Taking my Big 12 hat off and hatred for Iowa (I want TCU in the CFP and barf for me wanting something for Iowa) I want the following:

1) LSU beats Georgia in the SEC Championship
2) Michigan beats Ohio State by a couple of scores or more
3) Michigan then loses the Big Ten Championship to Iowa (vomit again. I really don’t want this just talking chaos)
4) TCU goes undefeated
5) USC wins out to finish with 1 loss
6) Clemson routes its next two opponents and finishes with 1 loss

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My first thought is that TCU is going to get sodomized by the committee one way or another; they won't be allowed in the CFP even if undefeated.

BUT

No undefeated conference champ has even been excluded. So maybe I am overstating the corruption.

That said, I still want ISU to win. TCU will be out in favor of Clemson and USC, to be sure. But TCU could still lose to KSU in the CCG. Anything ISU can build on is a good thing.

I do not think ISU will win, however.
They will get in if undefeated. 100%.
They will be out with a loss to ISU or KSU. 100%.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
If it’s Ohio state with win loss then that’s a maybe, Michigans schedule is too weak to get in over an undefeated TCU. A one loss TCU is a different story but an undefeated in is in over a one loss Michigan.
Great point on Michigan's schedule. Harbaugh might have to look in the mirror if a one loss Michigan gets left out in the cold. What an embarrassment of a non-con.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Agree. TCU will get smashed by Georgia but that’s how most semifinals have been. Undefeated really does matter, especially in the P5 because there is nothing the committee can fall back on to make up an excuse. Just one loss gives them the wiggle room to blow everything open on a team. By not losing, even if they are all 1-point OT wins, you didn’t give them ANY ammunition to use against you.

Like I said above, Florida State did just that in 2014. They were not even a top-6 team but they never lost so the committee had zero choice. Then they promptly got obliterated by Oregon in the semis.
Will they get smashed? Georgia flirted with disaster against 5-6 Mizzou earlier in the season. They've looked dominant at times, but they've also had a few games that were closer than expected. There seems to be more parity in CFB this year than in recent years. I think TCU would at the least compete with Georgia, although I wouldn't go as far as to predict an upset.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
Do we get better draft picks next year if we tank this game?
I know this is a joke, but if the veil is being completely removed, pay-to-play, big contracts, why don't we just make it like a developmental professional league. complete with salary caps, rotating pick and relegation?

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Will they get smashed? Georgia flirted with disaster against 5-6 Mizzou earlier in the season. They've looked dominant at times, but they've also had a few games that were closer than expected. There seems to be more parity in CFB this year than in recent years. I think TCU would at the least compete with Georgia, although I wouldn't go as far as to predict an upset.
You absolutely could be right no question. But I’ve been burned too many times thinking like that. I think Georgia is a team that when the lights come on for the high-profile games they are a completely different team. I mean look what happened to a good Michigan team last year in the CFP. And I think that Michigan team was better than this TCU team. But it’s football and crazy **** happens.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Great point on Michigan's schedule. Harbaugh might have to look in the mirror if a one loss Michigan gets left out in the cold. What an embarrassment of a non-con.
Yeah alumni have been screaming about the schedule all year and next years I don’t think is better.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I guess I call it win-win.

If Iowa State wins, that's a marvelous upset that (somewhat) redeems the season. It might even put the squad into a bowl game at 5-7, which is going to be a large benefit for a young team.

If TCU wins and holds up their end of the bargain by downing K-State in the Big 12 championship, then it is a nice boon to the reputation of the Big 12 and a hilarious refutation of OU and UT.

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I guess I call it win-win.

If Iowa State wins, that's a marvelous upset that (somewhat) redeems the season. It might even put the squad into a bowl game at 5-7, which is going to be a large benefit for a young team.

If TCU wins and holds up their end of the bargain by downing K-State in the Big 12 championship, then it is a nice boon to the reputation of the Big 12 and a hilarious refutation of OU and UT.

Just need KSU to beat KU on Saturday and that’ll be 2 years straight of no OUT in the Championship game, which is fantastic. The league has 2 more years to keep them down and out ideally.

Reactions: Neptune78

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
For the sake of conference integrity moving forward, based on the most recent FARTcast. He mentioned that it would be good for the Big 12 to have someone other than Oklahoma make the CFP, to prove that moving forward, the conference is a still a serious contender without the two big dogs to prop us up.

What say you? Do you agree with Jeff, or are you a loyal son forever true?
I've bet 100s of dollars against ISU and still rooted for them every time.
A former player, rooting against ISU, makes me sick and he can **** himself.

• Haha
Reactions: Cyinthenorth

Hammerschlagen

Feb 23, 2022
Bad take Jeff

We need to beat TCU because winning is good
It will also keep TCU out of the playoff and they’ll be happy to avoid their absolute beat down waiting for them against Georgia

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
No two loss team has ever gotten in. So going to need some chaos for that to happen
I do think if LSU wins wins out, which would be beating Georgia in the SEC Championship, they will get in. There’s no way in hell they are leaving the SEC Champion out unless it’s 3 or more losses and/or there are just too many undefeated teams.