JEFF WOODY: Characteristics the next coach needs to have

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I guess for me I've come to the realization this is ISU. After Hoiberg left, I realize there isn't going to be any coach to come in here, win regularly and stay forever. So I just want a winner and I want him to change the culture, so that going 2-10, 3-9 is completely unacceptable for two years in a row.
Amen. I'm also tired of the mantra that CPR loved ISU, and would never have left for a bigger football school if he won here. We don't know that, and I doubt he would have turned down a really tempting offer. Nor should he have.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I don't care about "midwest" values. We need a guy that can come in and change the culture. Until we expect to win instead of expect to lose, we aren't going to be successful. Winning cures all.

Agreed. But we need someone who understands what Iowa State is about and the challenges associated with the job. Chizik didn't understand them and look how that turned out.

Can we also consider guys who won't "win the press conference"? We tried that with Chizik and Rhoads made a splash hire in Mark Mangino that fans were super happy with. And those failed miserably. If we ended up with Montana's Bob Stitt or someone similar, that may not be a sexy hire, but I think it would be a good one.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Agreed. But we need someone who understands what Iowa State is about and the challenges associated with the job. Chizik didn't understand them and look how that turned out.

Can we also consider guys who won't "win the press conference"? We tried that with Chizik and Rhoads made a splash hire in Mark Mangino that fans were super happy with. And those failed miserably. If we ended up with Montana's Bob Stitt or someone similar, that may not be a sexy hire, but I think it would be a good one.

I feel like at least he wouldn't need a chart to close out that game last Saturday.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Good write up Jeff. I agree with all you've said except for this statement.

Is this a must have? We just fired a guy with these qualifications. I believe there are many humble, honest, high integrity coaches that are not from the midwest. Parents of players will embrace any coach that comes in their home as long as they feel they have their son's best interest at heart. If the coach has a track record of being honest, humble, and possesses high integrity that's a plus. The rest will have to be proven over time. That's the nature of college football. And at the end of the day, it's still a big money business. Let's not lose sight of that. It's also a game where wins are usually the only thing that matters. Let's not lose sight of that either. Bo Pelini had to match Tom Osbourne. That's a tough position for any coach. His demise was more about who Tom was and less of what Pelini was not.

CPR has left ISU in a better place than it was when he arrived. For many of us in the coaching business, that's always a great thing and a positive that helps you acquire the next job. So, I agree fully with you Jeff, CPR will be just fine.
That's what makes this so hard. Everyone knows CPR was the perfect for ISU. He has everything we are looking for in a HC except for the wins.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

To go along with that, I hope JP isn't biased just towards the guys who "interview well." Probably the same group who "win the press conference."
For example, I doubt Earle Bruce "interviewed well." Also, JP declined on Harbaugh when the guy was looking to leave U of San Diego because it was an awkward interview, I believe. So what?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
That's what makes this so hard. Everyone knows CPR was the perfect for ISU. He has everything we are looking for in a HC except for the wins.

And a solid understanding of clock management, competent OC hiring decisions, pizz poor recruiting, indecisiveness on program direction...I mean, those are kind of things I think would be imperfect.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

Is this a must have? We just fired a guy with these qualifications. I believe there are many humble, honest, high integrity coaches that are not from the midwest. Parents of players will embrace any coach that comes in their home as long as they feel they have their son's best interest at heart. If the coach has a track record of being honest, humble, and possesses high integrity that's a plus. The rest will have to be proven over time. That's the nature of college football. And at the end of the day, it's still a big money business. Let's not lose sight of that. It's also a game where wins are usually the only thing that matters. Let's not lose sight of that either. Bo Pelini had to match Tom Osbourne. That's a tough position for any coach. His demise was more about who Tom was and less of what Pelini was not.

CPR has left ISU in a better place than it was when he arrived. For many of us in the coaching business, that's always a great thing and a positive that helps you acquire the next job. So, I agree fully with you Jeff, CPR will be just fine.

For us Midwesterners, we usually don't see that those traits exist elsewhere, even though they're often stronger in people from different regions.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I don't care about "midwest" values. We need a guy that can come in and change the culture. Until we expect to win instead of expect to lose, we aren't going to be successful. Winning cures all.
3 win years gets old fast. Need coach that knows how to finish games. The last two losses should be in the HOF on how to lose a sure win.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

Stitt Happens!

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
And a solid understanding of clock management, competent OC hiring decisions, pizz poor recruiting, indecisiveness on program direction...I mean, those are kind of things I think would be imperfect.
Yes, which results in the lack of wins. I know what you're trying to say. Off the field CPR is the profile I'm referring too.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010

Born and raised in the Midwest. Lived and worked there for several years. Also have lived several places in this great country. You don't have to be from the Midwest to succeed as the football coach in Ames, Iowa.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I love the guy and respect how he represented ISU but the CPR blueprint seems like exactly what we should avoid. CPR's best qualities, his passion for the game, student athletes and the state of Iowa were what kept Pollard from making the smart move and firing him 2 years ago. The writing was on the wall but Paul was just too nice, loved ISU too much to be fired. Give me a stiff like Tom Osborne, Bill Snyder or Kirk Ferentz who can build a scheme around the type of players their program can bring in over a rah rah guy any day. You think Iowa or K state's kids are less fired up than ours for games? You think having a "motivator"(not that we had one in CPR) trumps winning?

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I disagree on the 'players coach'. Seems a short term revolt for long term results would be far better than having the players being in charge of the team.

You ever hear of Fred Hoiberg? Consumate players coach. Maybe you aren't familiar with the term.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Had to be hard for Jeff to agree that CPR had to go. Verses Sage who implied it was a mistake.

Wally86

Oct 23, 2008
Central Iowa
Woody felt supported but there were post game comments about Netten and Lanning this year that weren't. They felt like cover up for poor coaching comments. Those comments moved me into the probably time for a new coach category. The KSU game put me in the lynch the coach category.

Next coach needs a calm demeanor, pro ties and an offensive play to win mindset.