Jeff Passan story on ESPN dealing with Mental Health

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Anyone else read this article? I couldn't stop reading it. I even read it again to make sure I read it right the first time. What a powerful article on someone that battled mental health issues that it lead him to the brink of suicide. Drew Robinson deserves to win an ESPY award for what he went through, what he did, and his road to recovery. I lost a parent to suicide at an early age so reading articles like this brings better understanding on mental health to me even 38 years after when I had to go through the effects of it.

MJ29

Aug 21, 2020
It was an incredible story, and I'm glad Drew was willing to share it and Jeff was the one who wrote it. It's powerful and has the potential to help a lot of people.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Gonna have to read this after work. One thing I have learned on my journey working on my mental health is that the path will teach you a lot. I highly recommend reading books by Eckhart Tolle to anyone struggling.

The biggest thing I have learned is that we are not our thoughts, we are not our feelings, and we are not our bodies. We are simply the awareness behind all of it. When you can learn to disconnect from all of those things and simply observe yourself, you can overcome a lot of problems in life.

Tri4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2012
Des Moines
Gonna have to read this after work. One thing I have learned on my journey working on my mental health is that the path will teach you a lot. I highly recommend reading books by Eckhart Tolle to anyone struggling.

The biggest thing I have learned is that we are not our thoughts, we are not our feelings, and we are not our bodies. We are simply the awareness behind all of it. When you can learn to disconnect from all of those things and simply observe yourself, you can overcome a lot of problems in life.

Any favorites you suggest? I'm always in my own head and love to analyze that ****. I've also been able to take a step back these last few years and recognize that I'm not as perfect/happy as I like to show people. I started working with a therapist with the goals to help me be the best version of me that I can. I have some big professional, relationship, and athletic type goals and I approached it like hiring a coach. Tiger Woods was the best damn golfer the world had ever seen, but it didn't stop him from trying to get better. I wanted to do the same. Some things they've been able to help me recognize is that 1) I've been undiagnosed with ADHD for my entire life, 2) I actually have quite the problem with anxiety. The best value I've received is just getting that third party view to help me recognize these things then build up tools to help me address them. If you don't talk about them, then you just assume everyone else is the exact same. By getting it out there, you can better recognize your differences.

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
Any favorites you suggest? I'm always in my own head and love to analyze that ****. I've also been able to take a step back these last few years and recognize that I'm not as perfect/happy as I like to show people. I started working with a therapist with the goals to help me be the best version of me that I can. I have some big professional, relationship, and athletic type goals and I approached it like hiring a coach. Tiger Woods was the best damn golfer the world had ever seen, but it didn't stop him from trying to get better. I wanted to do the same. Some things they've been able to help me recognize is that 1) I've been undiagnosed with ADHD for my entire life, 2) I actually have quite the problem with anxiety. The best value I've received is just getting that third party view to help me recognize these things then build up tools to help me address them. If you don't talk about them, then you just assume everyone else is the exact same. By getting it out there, you can better recognize your differences.

Power of Now and A New Earth. I am a big fan of 10% Happier by Dan Harris as well.

Reactions: Tri4Cy

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Really powerful to have Robinson be open about this. It's important to remember that most suicide attempt survivors end up being happy they lived. If you are struggling, help is available, don't let your worst day define your life.

• Winner
Reactions: cycloner29

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
That was the best thing I've read in years.

A regular posting member of this community took his own life a couple years back. I didn't know him, but his sister is a family friend. His obit mentioned how much he enjoyed CF or I might not have made the connection at all. People are walking around burdened by things you can't even imagine and have taught themselves not to show it. The pandemic has amplified the effect. I feel it, too. I worry about my kids, it's hard to know how all this **** is impacting their view of the world they live in. But it's like you feel as though you are speaking the idea into existence if you talk about it. So you don't discuss them they way you probably should. I know I'm rambling, but I look at the issue so differently now that I'm a parent of teenagers.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Several years ago, I randomly called a friend of mine just to check in on him. I knew he had suffered from depression and they were messing with his meds. We talked for awhile and near the end of the conversation, I told him, quite randomly, that the world needs people like him. I explained that his humor and silly one liners were the things I missed most about working together.

Months later he called me to explain that he committed himself after our conversation. Turns out he was about to do himself harm until I called. The conversation got him pause long enough to go get help.

In my youth, I foolishly thought going to a therapist was weak, a cop out. Now, I think people should be assigned a mental health professional after 25. As a society, we are vicious to one another..and now with social media, we can do it all day and all night, sometime anonymously...

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
Anyone else read this article? I couldn't stop reading it. I even read it again to make sure I read it right the first time. What a powerful article on someone that battled mental health issues that it lead him to the brink of suicide. Drew Robinson deserves to win an ESPY award for what he went through, what he did, and his road to recovery. I lost a parent to suicide at an early age so reading articles like this brings better understanding on mental health to me even 38 years after when I had to go through the effects of it.

I’m sorry you experienced that. As a parent I worry about it.

• Friendly
Reactions: cycloner29

tyler24

Jun 19, 2006
This was a fascinating read and I’ve always said I’d read again, multiple times actually. Thanks for the reminder
His books really helped me. I learned I had the feeling of fear attached to almost everything in my life. I could hold onto it for hours too! Still working through some of it, but have improved tremendously.

Reactions: Cyclone06