Jeff Grayer, ISU's all-time leading scorer, on Barry Stevens and the creation of "Hilton Magic"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks Rob. We get such limited glimpses into the MBB Reunion Events. On the one hand, it frustrates me because I would like to participate more. On the other hand, it seems like a marvelous, genuine event for the players that has to be very special to them (and wouldn't be the same if schleps like me were around). So, I rely on The Rob Gray for my window into the event.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
That was my freshman year at ISU. Barry Stevens was then and probably still is one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen play in a live college basketball game. If the 3 point line existed when he was playing, he would probably be the top 3 point shooter in ISU history, and it may not even be close. Just reading about this team made my day!

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
This was a trip down memory lane. Oddly, I refuse to think of myself as old, but the reality sets in when I read (and see) things like this. Where did it all go? It seems like just yesterday, that they were shocking opponents with their high speed athleticism. Ok, maybe not Hornacek, but his poise, control, uncanny passing, and pure shooting made up for the less than lightening speed. Those were truly great times. Actually, as my late father said, 'the best of times'.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Barry Stevens was the best pure shooter by far in ISU history...His form was text book pure. He always dunked with his left hand too. But his coming out nationally was that Mizzou game...Hilton Magic was born that day.

If any of you youngsters wanna take 5 min to go back and watch highlights of that game that place was so loud.

Getting Barry started the flint connection.

Really sad he's gone.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Thanks for a fun article!

I'm just barely too young to remember that first NCAA team. I remember pieces about the Michigan game the next year (i.e. I don't remember the actual game, but I remember going to McDonalds before the game and spitting on the team picture of Michigan at the game and my aunt telling me not to do it!). My first real memories of Iowa State sports were the next year and the year after. All that to say that I don't have memories of Barry Stevens playing, but I do have memories of both of my parents talking about how much fun he was to watch.

And it is really cool how the Stevens family donated money for a Barry Stevens endowed scholarship last night.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Thanks Rob. We get such limited glimpses into the MBB Reunion Events. On the one hand, it frustrates me because I would like to participate more. On the other hand, it seems like a marvelous, genuine event for the players that has to be very special to them (and wouldn't be the same if schleps like me were around). So, I rely on The Rob Gray for my window into the event.
Agreed. I'd love to be a fly on the wall, fan-girling away...but this is for THEM, not us. So I enjoy these little glimpses. Thanks, @The Rob Gray

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah, it would be cool to be a fly on the wall at these things, but I appreciate that the fans aren't as involved (I do think you can join the golf outing as a fan though....I could be wrong). But I think there's value in letting them all have a night without us around. We'd want to talk about the games and everything good. And without a bunch of fans around they can talk about the little stuff that probably means more to them.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I had to remind myself, we had: Grayer, Hornacek and Stevens and Tompkins - on one team, on the floor, at the same time! Glad I got to witness; that was Hilton Magic!

• Agree
Reactions: cyclones500

9104Griffith

Jul 31, 2010
Chicago
That was my freshman year at ISU. Barry Stevens was then and probably still is one of the best pure shooters I have ever seen play in a live college basketball game. If the 3 point line existed when he was playing, he would probably be the top 3 point shooter in ISU history, and it may not even be close. Just reading about this team made my day!

My freshman year also. My first Hilton game was against Drake, back when they were competitive. Grayer hit a shot late to pull out the win. Just trying to make the tourney was such a big deal back then. It’s great to see how far we have come.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
An odd memory from that season, I think the details are mostly accurate, curious if anyone else recalls it.

Lafester Rhodes was a freshman in 84-85. Not sure what game it was, but ISU was winning in a blowout. Johnny put Lafester and 2 other freshmen, Eli Parker and Wes Wallace, into the game with around 4 minutes left.

Lafester shot it almost every time the ball touched his hands. :) Finished with 14 points. Hilton got louder with each basket. :D

(He might have been ISU's 3rd-leading scorer for the entire game).

It was a micro-advance of his 54-point game vs. EIU in '87.

larry

Apr 11, 2006
iowa city
I wore Barry Steven's number (35) as a senior for away games--back when you wore even numbers at home and odd on the road. I was NOT a volume scorer, but I always scored more when I was wearing Barry's number.

The Rob Gray

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2016
Thanks, Cycsk!

CyclonesRock

Jan 1, 2018
Iowa
Barry Stevens was the best pure shooter by far in ISU history...His form was text book pure. He always dunked with his left hand too. But his coming out nationally was that Mizzou game...Hilton Magic was born that day.

If any of you youngsters wanna take 5 min to go back and watch highlights of that game that place was so loud.

Really sad he's gone.

Norm Stewart, the then Mizzou coach, and Johnny Orr were both characters. I remember having seats right behind the Mizzou bench for one game. Stewart was a guy that always seemed to be on the court, kinda like Bruce Weber but slightly less annoying. The crowd would chant relentlessly "Sit down Norm." That was when student tickets rotated to a different level each game. I can't remember which year it was, but Norm had finally heard enough and turned around and said some very hurtful things. :) Which of course just increased the frenzy of the crowd.

allday4cy

Feb 25, 2012
Waterloo, IA

Really sad he's gone.

I believe you. That much better than Tyrus? I was too young to remember Barry. Seen highlights obviously..