JAMIE POLLARD STATEMENT ON REINSTATEMENT DECISION

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
I think Bubu will play before this season is over. Just my opinion. Leath won't like it, Pollard won't like it because of that, and Fred won't be touched. Whether or not you believe Bubu is innocent doesn't matter. The justice system says he's innocent, then he is. That's all there is to it.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Not to mention Fred would probably take the first NBA offer that comes along, which could be soon. Surely JP is smart enough not to tell Fred how to run his team, but maybe he's not considering the way this has been handled.

Stop with all the NBA non sense. It's just not happening. Fred will decide what's best for HIS basketball team. JP has zero say in who plays, zero. And JP knows that if he pisses off CFH and CFH leaves then JP is done at Iowa State and possibly any other high profile gig.

Apr 19, 2006
he didn't put himself out there with an opinion on a player. He put himself out there with the opinion that the school should have the sole ability to decide who can and cannot play on their sports teams.

At least that's what I took from it.

And the school should. It should be treated just like any other scholarship player. The university should have the right to renew the scholarship on a yearly basis.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I guess I don't see the difference between Bubu and other guys where charges were dropped. Is Leath going to interject and tell PR that David Irving can't play? What about Albert Gary? What about guys that did things wrong like at prior stops like Korie Lucious or Chris Allen? Why stop there....what about a guy that has consensual sex with a teammates girlfriend which causes problems in the lockeroom? What about a guy that fights another guy in practice?

Leath should have never been involved.

Seedman

Jan 13, 2011
Ames
Not to mention Fred would probably take the first NBA offer that comes along, which could be soon. Surely JP is smart enough not to tell Fred how to run his team, but maybe he's not considering the way this has been handled.

I can confirm he has already turned down at least 2 offers. Find another topic!

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
And the school should. It should be treated just like any other scholarship player. The university should have the right to renew the scholarship on a yearly basis.
scholarships are annual.

klamath632

Nov 19, 2011
You seem to be strictly addressing the legal aspect. What about the moral aspect? You're saying you would be completely fine with another man having sex with your wife/girlfriend?

What the **** does this have to do with ANYTHING? If another man is having sex with my wife/girlfriend, then she obviously is not going to be my wife/girlfriend for much longer. Either way, what the **** does it have to do with any of this?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Agreed. The problem is it gives the appearance that we have a president and maybe even an a.d. that are anti-athlete. That may not be true, but the way this has been handled thru today, it gives that appearance, and don't think opposing coaches won't use this against us. "At ISU the law says an athlete should play, but the President and A.D. don't want him to". Fred and CPR have to be sick about how this was handled by the administration. Leath and JP need to figure a way out of this mess so they look like they're behind our athletes and coaches.

Leath and JP look like klutzes.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
My only thought on the statement.....do people really think Jamie would release this statement without talking to Fred? It simply says he doesn't feel that a court should be able to make the decisions on something that should be an ISU matter, but one would assume if they had any sort of working relationship, Fred knew this statement was coming.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
My only thought on the statement.....do people really think Jamie would release this statement without talking to Fred? It simply says he doesn't feel that a court should be able to make the decisions on something that should be an ISU matter, but one would assume if they had any sort of working relationship, Fred knew this statement was coming.
Good question for the Rag and Peterson to ask.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
It doesn't matter what he really meant it matters what people think he meant.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
What team rule did BuBu break?

Over 1000 posts tonight, but not one that shows actual knowledge of the specific violation of the Student Code of Ethics (not team rules). I posted the link and excerpts from the Code in the other thread. It is an extensive list with a low threshold of guilt. We know what he was accused of in the criminal case, but not in the student judicial process.

Frankly, I wonder if Leath and Pollard read the Code, looked at the evidence, and concluded that they thought Bubu was guilty (perhaps dismissing the other judge's opinion because they thought he focused too much on the level of evidence necessary for a criminal conviction). As I read the Code, I thought at least half of the student body is guilty of violations.

Okay, now let me really stretch my imagination. Maybe Leath made his decision and Pollard his statement so that they can be positioned as not pandering to athletes, anticipating that the judge has ruled (albeit just with a temporary injuction), they can let Bubu play without looking soft on misbehavior. Probably not, especially as bad as Leath and the BOR look in the ruling, but who knows?

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Who or what agency demanded Leath act on the Palo dismissal last summer? Find that out and it could go a long way to understanding the situation. The AD had ruled Palo eligible and he played last year. The AD granted Palo a scholarship for this year. Then, the university President suddenly overruled them at the request of "an unidentified person or agency."

From the DMR last August:
"An unidentified person or agency appealed the decision that allowed the former Ames High School basketball player back on the team. The University’s Office of Judicial Affairs handled the appeal.

Palo’s removal from the team Saturday was fallout from that appeal.
Neither Palo nor coach Fred Hoiberg returned phone messages. Athletic director Jamie Pollard had no comment, according to the release."

Bubu Palo kicked off Iowa State men's basketball team after appeal - Clones Confidential - An Iowa State Cyclones Fan Site - News, Blogs, Opinion, and more.

Whoever that was sure exhibited an awful lot of sway in this case, because for all intents and purposes, the whole thing was over a year ago.

It will be interesting eventually to find out more about how this appeal was made. Was it just the alleged victim who appealed (perhaps asking for a university advocate)? Or did someone else try to make a point (against Bubu and/or to promote a cause) by pushing for the appeal?

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Best way to make sure Fred leaves soon is for JP to put his nose in on the basketball teams rotation.
This is what worries me most. Wasnt one of the big factors in Cael leaving that he was at odds with Pollard?
The NBA will come calling for Fred, so id prefer he be as comfortable as humanly possible at ISU. Any sort of strain with the boss would have a negative effect on that.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron