Jamie Pollard "State of the Union" Address for Dept.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Your attendance is in direct contradiction to your argument. You went to such extremes to watch a bad product. And, thus, how can it be absurd a capitalistic society is taking advantage of your die-hard fandom? The absurdity starts with us.
Don't expect it to stop there. Now that we've had a taste of 'success', our absurdity will only grow. ME included. Especially, since I don't live in close enough proximity to attend games.

Yeah, I intentionally crapped on my own point a bit. The market will absolutely drive costs, I just think it’s hysterical that it’s a “donation.”

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
Good football, and keeping the best coach we have ever had, and one of the hottest coaches in the country?

Yeah, my benefit isn't being closer to the 50 yard line or whatever % off at Cys Lockerroom, hell, I don't even need a parking pass. It's watching good football and having a team that excites the hell out of me. Jumping out of my chair when they beat Texas on a missed FG at the end and Stone Cold Steve Austin-ing some beers. Being proud to wear that sweet Fiesta Bowl winners shirt. Having a great time with friends watching in person or at home. That stuff is my benefit and the payback is worth more than $100 to me. I don't need a tangible something or other from the AD.

I'm sure if someone could only give $50, the Cyclone Club won't turn it down. You may not get a tangible gift for it and may not be an official member, but they won't turn the money away.

Edit: Or you can give that money to the Gridiron Club. It only goes to football, but at least it's something.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think the problem with the Century level isn't necessarily that $100 is too much as it is the $200 per seat jump in ticket prices for donor sections. You're going from $399/seat to sit in section 2 to effectively $624+ to sit in section 3 (or equivalent). That's a big jump, especially if you multiply by 4. You can ask people to donate for something other than seating benefits I guess, but the numbers say that isn't working at the moment.

Maybe going back to giving new grads a year of Century benefits for free would help get more people in the door. It worked on me back when they offered it. Or you could make Captains more attractive for Gold level members, because that's kind of the other weird gap, and there's probably more money to be made there.

I donate with a family member $1000 per year. I sit in non-donor football seats. I stay there because I really like the people around me.

Conversely, I started donating when you could join the Cyclone Club for $50 and get half price basketball tickets. We started in the corners of the balcony around row 8, went to center balcony in row 6, and ended up in row 3. Over the years as the program changed and I aged out of that deal, we became $500 donors to keep the seats we had ended up with. A few years ago, we had to donate $1000 to keep our basketball seats and we did because again, I like the people around me.

I'm not sure if this proves anything, but I think of my donation less about getting the absolute best seats I can and more about guaranteeing that I am sitting near people that I enjoy sitting by.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
100% disagree. I have always given because I want to. Many years I have given and received nothing in return. I have a hard time even understanding that "I will only give if I get something." Bizarre. I give to many non-profits and get nothing in return. What the hell is going on here?

You may think that's the situation but it really isn't, as evidenced by the fact that the department provides increasing amounts of tangible benefits for virtually all donation levels (which you say is unnecessary) and the Century Club that offers first time donors next to nothing, has only 450 members despite being an easily affordable entry level to the Club.

Like I said, this is Fundraising 101 stuff. Even Easter Seals will send out Christmas address labels for you to use with their year end appeal. I don't think my Mom will need to put a return address on envelopes for the rest of her life. All you have to do is show people that their contribution matters to you. Don't complain there is no broad base to the Club when you aren't communicating that those donations are critically important for income now and growing the size of the Club over time.

Last edited:

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
They used to give Cyclone Club Member window stickers. Not much but something. They have stopped that. On the one hand if you get one every year you end up with more than you would use. On the other hand if you're a new donor they should send you one. Ideally I'd say the thing to do would be a check box option (default 'no') if you want one when you do your annual renewal. Minimal cost and only those that are going to be used/displayed will be sent out. They could do the same with the Football/Basketball posters - that have also been eliminated.

Until last year, though, they would send one if you asked. I asked at least two years running and got one. These stickers also have the year on them. I like them.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Just donate regardless of getting a tangible item or not. If it helps keeping CMC in Ames, better facilities, etc.. isn't that tangible enough?

It's fun having a good football team consistently. We can make a difference! JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
If we have sold 44,000 season tickets in the past then this is approximately 14,000 people/entities that buy tickets - if the average is three tickets per account.

Let's be conservative and say there are 12,000 accounts. Rough numbers - only 50% of season ticket holders are members of the CC. These 6,000 accounts need to be members of the CC. Start with these people.
I wonder what portion are student, corporate or ISU tix in the season tix numbers?

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
If you want a reliable stream of income "membership" in a club needs to be tangibly different from not being a member or potential donors won't even consider it in large numbers. Even the Cyclone Fanatic team knows this. I pay for the great content and community I get here even though I don't have to. Because the site owners know that, they thank us by giving us a few little things that people who don't contribute don't get. This is normal. You aren't spending money on CF for some emojis, it is just CF's way of saying thank you for being a regular contributor. It's Fundraising 101 stuff. And for ISU there is huge potential there.
I understand what your saying, but with your CF example you are literally a paying customer for premium content. It’s clear I may be in the minority regarding my interpretation of the definition of donation.

Recognizing that ISU‘s AD makes and spends tens of millions of dollars. They spend what they make and it could be argued that the AD is somewhat a not for profit. Clone Club members are making donations. I don’t expect that I will be directly given something for my donations. Perhaps access to buying tix, parking, etc., but a successful AD and university are my goals.

I have charitable organizations that I have given feedback to regarding not giving me something. I am giving you money to help others, not send me a calendar. Again, my expectation is that my donation forwards the cause. In the case of ISU AD, it is sustaining ongoing success in an increasingly competitive environment.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I understand what your saying, but with your CF example you are literally a paying customer for premium content. It’s clear I may be in the minority regarding my interpretation of the definition of donation.

Recognizing that ISU‘s AD makes and spends tens of millions of dollars. They spend what they make and it could be argued that the AD is somewhat a not for profit. Clone Club members are making donations. I don’t expect that I will be directly given something for my donations. Perhaps access to buying tix, parking, etc., but a successful AD and university are my goals.

I have charitable organizations that I have given feedback to regarding not giving me something. I am giving you money to help others, not send me a calendar. Again, my expectation is that my donation forwards the cause. In the case of ISU AD, it is sustaining ongoing success in an increasingly competitive environment.
In an ideal world donations would work like that but that just isn’t how non profits work.

There are people who budget and plan out their donations on an annual basis. You and me sound like those types. A lot of people donate impulsively though and need encouraged to donate. Fundraising is so much a proactive process. There’s a reason the foundation always calls you to donate. It works. They get more money calling and bothering people than they would just passively accepting donations.

• Winner
Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I thought we were discussing ways to grow the base of the Cyclone Club, not the explicit meaning of the word "donation."

My bad.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
In an ideal world donations would work like that but that just isn’t how non profits work.

There are people who budget and plan out their donations on an annual basis. You and me sound like those types. A lot of people donate impulsively though and need encouraged to donate. Fundraising is so much a proactive process. There’s a reason the foundation always calls you to donate. It works. They get more money calling and bothering people than they would just passively accepting donations.

Or they just piss people off and turn them away. The Foundation calling is one of the more irritating and annoying groups to receive calls from. They are right up there with the spam robo calls.

I completely get what you are saying and that is a good example.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
If you want a reliable stream of income "membership" in a club needs to be tangibly different from not being a member or potential donors won't even consider it in large numbers. Even the Cyclone Fanatic team knows this. I pay for the great content and community I get here even though I don't have to. Because the site owners know that, they thank us by giving us a few little things that people who don't contribute don't get. This is normal. You aren't spending money on CF for some emojis, it is just CF's way of saying thank you for being a regular contributor. It's Fundraising 101 stuff. And for ISU there is huge potential there.
I give to CF because they are working hard, betterment of the Clone Brand, albeit indirectly, and it is the right thing to do. I don't give to get "something" back.

Reactions: nrg4isu

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Like are you trolling? No one is saying to not get donors like you. We should continue to encourage bigger donors especially $100+. I’m not advocating for turning away donors you are. All I’ve advocated is trying to get people to start donating now so they will increase their donations over the years. We just need to stop turning donors away.
If you are a season ticket holder, you receive mailings and emails selling the CC and it's benefits to the university. They have been marketing to people for my lifetime. I give because it helps the university, not because I get something in return.

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
They used to give Cyclone Club Member window stickers. Not much but something. They have stopped that. On the one hand if you get one every year you end up with more than you would use. On the other hand if you're a new donor they should send you one. Ideally I'd say the thing to do would be a check box option (default 'no') if you want one when you do your annual renewal. Minimal cost and only those that are going to be used/displayed will be sent out. They could do the same with the Football/Basketball posters - that have also been eliminated.
Posters and stickers are not green. You are dealing with a university.

• Dumb
Reactions: nrg4isu

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
Yeah, my benefit isn't being closer to the 50 yard line or whatever % off at Cys Lockerroom, hell, I don't even need a parking pass. It's watching good football and having a team that excites the hell out of me. Jumping out of my chair when they beat Texas on a missed FG at the end and Stone Cold Steve Austin-ing some beers. Being proud to wear that sweet Fiesta Bowl winners shirt. Having a great time with friends watching in person or at home. That stuff is my benefit and the payback is worth more than $100 to me. I don't need a tangible something or other from the AD.

I'm sure if someone could only give $50, the Cyclone Club won't turn it down. You may not get a tangible gift for it and may not be an official member, but they won't turn the money away.

Edit: Or you can give that money to the Gridiron Club. It only goes to football, but at least it's something.
Well said. Obviously, we need more people like you.

Reactions: 06_CY

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!

Ha! Yes, I give to the Foundation too. Yes, they used to call every year, but I have it set now.

The AD needs to be as bold as the Foundation. I am an alumni member too, but don’t recall....did we get an email blast from the AD after the bowl win? We should have. I don’t know why they aren’t cross-pollinating their efforts more. Lots of Alumni members and foundation donors to be mined by the AD.

I know a lot of diehard fans that were redlining this season, as well a lot of casual fans that became diehards, and alumni that began watching the team. There is an opportunity here. Heck, promote on CF; start getting the members here to donate.

Last edited:

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
I thought we were discussing ways to grow the base of the Cyclone Club, not the explicit meaning of the word "donation."

My bad.
We are, but they are related. I wasnt calling you out, I was acknowledging that clearly most expect something tangible for their donation. I think it is a reality and the AD will have to figure something out.

Higher level donors often receive cost neutral benefits and access to purchases that benefit the AD, like improved tickets and parking or access to a club to spend more money. I liked the idea of CC merch that was only available via membership. Loved the suggestion that Trice logo be exclusive to it or buy the same gear as the coaches and athletes wear.

It creates exclusivity and additional revenue for the AD. For lower level members or all members, send them Home Screen backgrounds, ringtones, etc., have a cadence of communication coming from not just JP, but coaches. Maybe a CC web portal could be created with this and membership gets you access. Do members still get a discount at Cys and the bookstore? I usually leverage Alumni discount there.

Reactions: nrg4isu and Die4Cy

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Long time member of Cyclone Club and more recently Gridiron Club. I don't consider my $$ as a donation, and don't consider ISU athletics as a non-profit. I consider us fans are viewed as a mainly a source of revenue, and I pay to support a product of entertainment and enjoyment. ISU athletics are a business.
My charitable "donations" are to my church, Mayo Clinic Foundation, Salvation Army, etc.