PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
[
I mean, charity would've been cool too, I dig it. Again, it's not gonna fill a stadium or fix all the issues, but it still would've generated some money when we're now in a situation where $0 is being generated.

Why is this point so controversial? It seems both lukewarm and relatively-attainable. Something that probably could've been considered.
Its not controversial, but acting like its going to solve anything for the budget and using it to criticize the athletic department is silly. The collective opinion was moving towards "This is so simple, how could they not have done this?!" How do you even know they didn't consider it?

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
[
Its not controversial, but acting like its going to solve anything for the budget and using it to criticize the athletic department is silly. The collective opinion was moving towards "This is so simple, how could they not have done this?!" How do you even know they didn't consider it?

It still doesn't do any harm for people to share any ideas that could raise money for the athletics department. Calm down. It's no big deal for people to just throw some fund raising ideas out there.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
It still doesn't do any harm for people to share any ideas that could raise money for the athletics department. Calm down. It's no big deal for people to just throw some fund raising ideas out there.
465ef16462e8c6dfbf3560a5391470ca.gif

• Funny
Reactions: clonedude

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
[
You're sure making it sound like a controversial hot take.

I was surprised that Pollard never brought it up during the interview, to tell you the truth. He was so full and descriptive on pretty much every other thing surrounding the issue. This is a relatively common/known thing by now. I feel like if they seriously considered it, he would've mentioned it. It's not like us Iowans are stingy against donating to good causes, we just donated thousands/millions of dollars to a kid that asked for beer on TV.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
I totally agree with that. What has been done to try to make money in that place for a long time now?

I saw Pearl Jam in there. Saw the Red Hot Chili Peppers in there.... that might have been the same concert not sure? I think Ryan Adams has performed in there, correct? Before he got into trouble that is!

Don't give me the excuse that people won't go there because of Des Moines.... that's BS!! I'd much rather go to CY Stephens than anywhere in Des Moines.
I saw Ryan Adams there when I was in college. I know the concert venue business is hard because I have friends that are in the industry. You need a diverse line-up of events. You need to make money on concessions. Their clientele is not just Ames. It’s Marshalltown, Carroll, Fort Dodge. Have they ever tried a hotel/dinner/concert bundle? Just spitballing, you need to get creative in that line of work.

Reactions: STLISU

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
Many in the “arts crowd” are also in the “athletics crowd”. Please stop trying to make it as if it’s one against the other. If Stephens is that far underwater something needs to be done. If there won’t be any indoor events for a while why keep staff and everything else that cost money in that building.

next point, they have done a **** job promoting Stephens over the last ten years. I went to one concert at the Bridgestone arena in Nashville and receive an email about events weekly (at least I did). I’ve been to plenty of events at Stephens andthe only time I know what is going on there is when I drive by and see the outdated red light sign out front.
There is a subset of the arts crowd that is anti Athletics. I’m not sure there are athletics people who are anti arts. There may be people that don’t like the arts but I don’t think there are people who think arts shouldn’t happen in the athletics crowd like there are in the arts crowd.

This can be evidenced by the idiot who said we should cancel football instead of CY in the Register.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
I saw Ryan Adams there when I was in college. I know the concert venue business is hard because I have friends that are in the industry. You need a diverse line-up of events. You need to make money on concessions. Their clientele is not just Ames. It’s Marshalltown, Carroll, Fort Dodge. Have they ever tried a hotel/dinner/concert bundle? Just spitballing, you need to get creative in that line of work.

Iowa just built a brand spankin' new Hancher..... how does that make a go of it? Probably doesn't I'm sure.... Iowa is good at building stuff without having any possible way of paying for it.

Clone83

Mar 25, 2006
People who live in Ames' **** does NOT stink. Everyone knows that.
Iowa just built a brand spankin' new Hancher..... how does that make a go of it? Probably doesn't I'm sure.... Iowa is good at building stuff without having any possible way of paying for it.
Flood insurance I'd be pretty sure. The first one was under water.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Wait until all those other schools do it and it doesn't even solve all their problems but instead only brings in additional money they wouldn't have had, gives money to charity, and/or increases fan engagement. They'll be so embarrassed.
I know right! I'm so glad we have an AD who never thinks of those things and hasn't done a ton in those areas in the past.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
FYI

• Informative

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Pollard is sitting and laughing at how easily he conned some of you into turning on Ames at the drop of a hat. Lemmings.

Still going on I see... how many years in a row has been the state rep from Ames. Looks like 17 years now.

yowza

Jun 2, 2016

I don't believe that falls under the AD. I am guessing wealthy docs, attorneys and profs pump dollars into it.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
FYI

As a comparison, I believe JP said CYS runs about $1M deficit that was subsidized. Not to mention, there have been deferred improvements and maintenance. I have no idea how Hancher works, but I think it shows these types of facilities for that type of programming is difficult to make profitable.

I mentioned it before, but the only real problem I have with JPs statement is that he makes it seem as though ISU was throwing money at CYS that gives community members lower cost events. That really is not true. The fact is ISU uses the facility for it's own events, which leaves CYS reduced dates available for shows. As you can imagine, threading the needle for touring shows is hard enough as it is, let alone when you have available days limited by these ISU events. Individual shows are probably all priced accordingly to try to optimize return. I don't think they sell many out, so it's not like they can just jack up prices for shows and sell the same number of tickets. Also, framing it as if Athletics was doing the rest of ISU a favor by taking it over is also not really the whole truth. That was all part of the entertainment district plan from the start. At the time I'm sure dealing with $1M deficit was easy to digest given athletics revenues and the district plans at the time.

I'm fine with all the decisions JP has made, and his rationale for everything. However, I think he's spinning things a little bit in terms of CYS.

Last edited:
  • Agree

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I don't believe that falls under the AD. I am guessing wealthy docs, attorneys and profs pump dollars into it.

And it still looks like it needs to cut $1.5M/year to be self sustaining.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Is there a transcript for this pod cast? I don't like to listen to these radio shows, and this is no exception. Pollard's mic and background noise makes it very difficult to follow all what he is saying. Hope that Saturday's game will put this (somewhat) all behind us.

FOREVERTRUE

Sep 18, 2017
Is there a transcript for this pod cast? I don't like to listen to these radio shows, and this is no exception. Pollard's mic and background noise makes it very difficult to follow all what he is saying. Hope that Saturday's game will put this (somewhat) all behind us.

SCarolinaCy

Jun 20, 2011
Greenville, SC
Thank you. Is there a link for these that I am missing?