PODCAST: Jamie Pollard on the last 14 days

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
I haven't seen anyone on this board who is anti-playing football. I've seen debates about fan attendance where there are good points to be made from many views (my own view on that changes daily).

They're already practicing, it's idiotic to not have no games at all like the Big Ten is doing when you're having practice.

Are there local people in Ames who are against zero fan games?
Agreed.

I just don't know if JP can come back from this--and before the freak-outs start happening, I mean from an emotional standpoint. I heard an incredibly frustrated and bitter person in that interview. He clearly can't stand the community he works in. So ask yourself this: if you've ever felt that way about your job, etc., how long did you hang around?

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
So it was pretty much ISU faculty that got the attendance decision changed?

No more guessing, we know who the responsible party is now.

I have no idea how the University is run, but does the faculty senate really have enough leverage over a University president, hired by and with the full support of the BOR?

Have there been any salary reductions in the faculty ranks? How about the support staff? I am not talking about reductions in positions with the drop in enrollment, I mean across the board cuts like in the AD, and in many other businesses?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
So you just want to ISU to get in line and not show any Leadership. Yep. Conform or suffer the hate of the ultra-righteous. As if anyone knows what difference there is between 25% or 40%. Nothing but politics.

Dude, the virus knows, obviously.

• Funny
Reactions: Acylum

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I especially liked him calling out people for freaking out when Ames was labeled as "having the worst breakout in the country". It should have been obvious to everyone that the spike in numbers came from them mass testing students who they knew were probably exposed. If it was actually a hot spot, the numbers wouldn't have plummeted in 1 week like they have. The anti play football and anti in-person classes crowd were creaming themselves over the idea of Ames being the worst town in America for coronavirus.

He did mention that it was a "targeted" test that they wanted to blame on those who went to parties. Well, whoever made that decision is the one who really needs some blame. You test more people you'll find more positives. We really want healthy young people to get it and build immunity.

I would really love to see an in-depth analysis of what happened with these peaks that made the numbers "so bad" for the week or two. Because they had good data when they moved in and it was very steady at 2.2%.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Agreed.

I just don't know if JP can come back from this--and before the freak-outs start happening, I mean from an emotional standpoint. I heard an incredibly frustrated and bitter person in that interview. He clearly can't stand the community he works in. So ask yourself this: if you've ever felt that way about your job, etc., how long did you hang around?

No, it's just all the Karens in the community. He's not bitter. He's mocking them....and rightly so.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: Gorm and aauummm

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
Can’t wait to read through 5 pages of Pollard hate
Not sure how anyone can hate Pollard at this point. The man literally pours his heart and soul into this university and there are STILL people that second guess him or think he doesn't do things in the best interest of Iowa State. Faculty wanted to tell him how to run his athletic department. The same group of people that absolutely had to have students in classrooms because they are terrified of what moving to online only would do to their future earning potential. Bunch of hypocritical ********. I hope the AD bulldozes all of those Iowa State Center buildings and turns them into parking. We need more paved lots.

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
I have no idea how the University is run, but does the faculty senate really have enough leverage over a University president, hired by and with the full support of the BOR?
Apparently mainly the faculty, but they were getting others lined up or had others in their corner already. Including the Story County BOH and their idiot “You’re either with Mr. Death or against Mr. Death” leader, DM Register, etc.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
It was a knee jerk reaction, but when you town is suddenly the worst place in the world, it gets a lot of attention. Not saying that the 25K would have gone off without a hitch, but most fans understand that if they fail to follow the protocols it could be no fans for the rest of the year.

As Jamie stated, there was a huge spike in cases because they basically tested every student. In that age group probably 60% are asystematic. If you were using any logic, you would not let students into the games, since they are the ones causing the spike.

....and 25 and 26 cases in Ames the last couple of days. Roughly same rate adjusted for population increase as before the students arrived.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Interesting that everyone freaked about about 25K fans since that was 40%. Season tickets have dropped to 20,400 which is 33%.
That's if every ticket holder attends which probably isn't likely. So actual attendance would have probably been around 25%.

does that include the hillside seats? Because if it does, that changes the percentage.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Interesting that everyone freaked about about 25K fans since that was 40%. Season tickets have dropped to 20,400 which is 33%.
That's if every ticket holder attends which probably isn't likely. So actual attendance would have probably been around 25%.

Correct without having to tell any season ticket holder who wanted to they can't come.