Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I can guarantee you that a fall sports season with some decreased revenue and increased costs (testing) will look a hell of a lot better to an AD than none at all.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
To an extent, but not too many leaders have a contingency for 80% of their revenue disappearing.
Well, it's a damn high possibility that there isn't going to be fall or spring sports. Time for JP to start thinking about and planning for worst case. Companies do that all the time.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Well, it's a damn high possibility that there isn't going to be fall or spring sports. Time for JP to start thinking about and planning for worst case. Companies do that all the time.

again, he already is. Sports will be cut and people will be let go. I’m guessing golf and tennis which is a bummer because they built those facilities for both of them.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I’ve interviewed roughly 400 developers, analysts, and managers over the past 10 years. I have never looked at somebody’s degree or asked about their formal education. I’ve found that means little to nothing in the technology and insurance sectors where experience and hands-on learning give me everything I need to know about a candidate. In the 5 or so years prior to that, I would pay attention to degree and almost always found those that didn’t have a formal degree worked harder to learn than those that did.

There are professions where a degree is helpful, and always will be (engineering, chemistry, biology, etc) but those are decreasing in number in my opinion. MBAs, Liberal Arts, etc just don’t sway me personally when interviewing.

I basically in the same boat, unless it was someone right out of college. Then their degree and where from made a difference.

I have said for awhile that one way to lower costs for students is to get rid of all the extra electives. Many times, it forces a student to be there an extra semester at least in order to be as they say "more well rounded". I don't know how people are more well rounded from taking a bowling or golf class. I don't care if my computer programmer has a strong grasp of the baroque time period of music or not. I want them to know what they need to know to do their job. Especially with the WFH situations that will be more and more likely from here on out.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I can guarantee you that a fall sports season with some decreased revenue and increased costs (testing) will look a hell of a lot better to an AD than none at all.

Yep, even just having the games and no fans will help the athletic departments. At least for football. If they have football and basketball they will get most of their TV revenue and be able to hold it for a year with the donations thrown in on top.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
again, he already is. Sports will be cut and people will be let go. I’m guessing golf and tennis which is a bummer because they built those facilities for both of them.
He'd better be...and he'll be earning his salary then.

College sports post-pandemic are going to be way different than what we're used to. We as fans need to prep ourselves.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Who is going to be paying for all these players to get tested every day? Just curious?

That could be close to 150 tests a day.

The teams will NOT be giving the players a virus test everyday, what they will be doing is checking their temp. as they arrive at the facility and recording the readings. Once a baseline is set up for each player or employee, than they can use that to see if a person has the possibility of contacted the virus. Higher temp. than normal, that person is then given a virus test to determine if they have the virus and sent home until the results are back.

My wife has to do this for the city workers here in town, she says the whole process takes her about 10 to 15 minutes, depending on if all the workers are there on time. She checks about 30 workers during that time span and records the data on a clipboard.
I am sure ISU will have a staff of people doing it and recording the info into a spread sheet to make it easier and faster.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Shut everything down for 4 more weeks and require masks in public. What is stopping this?

A big part is that a large portion of the U.S. population has a low prioritization of college sports in general. Their job, housing, food, and other things take priority over college football. There are roughly 4MM at best people who attend college football games on an average weekend. That is one percent of the population. Shutting down the country for a month so one percent of the population can attend games is not going to happen.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
false. The last update said fans would be required to have masks to enter stadium. I think they are aware it will be hard to enforce but they are requiring it. Students will need masks to go to class.

Key words - "enter the stadium"

Shut everything down for 4 more weeks and require masks in public. What is stopping this?

We're not disciplined enough to do this.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A big part is that a large portion of the U.S. population has a low prioritization of college sports in general. Their job, housing, food, and other things take priority over college football. There are roughly 4MM at best people who attend college football games on an average weekend. That is one percent of the population. Shutting down the country for a month so one percent of the population can attend games is not going to happen.

Yeah it's not something that many people would miss...the thing will be for those that flouted the recommendations for their own indulgence and would turn around and be incensed that there's no football, if in fact we could have been in a better place functioning with precautions.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Key words - "enter the stadium"

Right. But originally he said it wouldn’t be required to enter. I suspect that if fans are allowed they will try to enforce wearing masks.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I think the thought is that is will be nearly impossible to social distances while trying to enter. If they get seats set out correctly, people will be more spread out in the game.