Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Federally mandate masks being worn inside for 6 weeks or outside on groups of over 25 if social distancing can’t be accomplished. Made it punishable by jail to not wear one and have 45 take the lead. We would crush this virus and the company would be completely reopened by Labor Day. It’s insane that somebody on his day doesn’t tell him that this technique likely guarantees him victory in November.

Not enough chaos with this scenario and some people need chaos.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
If this virus had a higher mortality and morbidity rate for those 22yrs and younger all sports would be cancelled until either Covid is gone, has mutated or an effective vaccine..

but that’s not reality. Reality is Covid mortality rate under 22 yr olds is no diff than FLU..

So all these posts talking about “student safety” is just non sense.. So shut down ISU college?

A lot of staff at ISU 22 years old are they? Coaches? Other schools' staff and coaches?

If the Qb room all gets it, who plays QB?

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Anyone catch Fienbaum on SEC network? Interviewed SEC Commish..

basically by end of July if Covid is trending down we will see fball..if it is still getting worse we won’t..

This country has 2 weeks to get its **** together for the sake of college sports.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL

basically by end of July if Covid is trending down we will see fball..if it is still getting worse we won’t..

This country has 2 weeks to get its **** together for the sake of college sports.

I wonder how they are going to determine that? Using national numbers, or is it going to be based on geographic regions where conferences are located?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

If that's the case we're F'd.

Two weeks is too late.

Jammin’

Jul 18, 2009
Ames-Mia-Atx
Suit yourself. This is a bad situation, and everyone should take precautions, and if you're vulnerable, by all means, don't go to games. If you do go to games, don't go around vulnerable people without being extremely cautious. But this is not the black plague, and life does have to go on, through this and after this.

I don’t know CyclonePride, that might actually be something to consider. Maybe have a entrance/part of the stadium for fans with pre existing conditions that still want to go.

I don’t really think the season is going to last more than a few watered down games, if at all, but having a part of the stadium for fans with pre existing conditions is something that seems beneficial anyway.

♂️

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don’t know CyclonePride, that might actually be something to consider. Maybe have a entrance/part of the stadium for fans with pre existing conditions that still want to go.

I don’t really think the season is going to last more than a few watered down games, if at all, but having a part of the stadium for fans with pre existing conditions is something that seems beneficial anyway.

♂️

I start with the assumption that mask wearing is going to be mandatory. My second assumption is that the virus doesn't transmit all that well outside. The combination should be sufficient.

The main question I see is how they handle positive tests among players. The only workable solution in my mind is that you test, test, test, and simply take out and isolate the ones that test positive (and retest everyone after discovery). If you go the Iowa HS route and try to isolate entire teams because one player tests positive, then it's not even worth starting.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I start with the assumption that mask wearing is going to be mandatory. My second assumption is that the virus doesn't transmit all that well outside. The combination should be sufficient.

The main question I see is how they handle positive tests among players. The only workable solution in my mind is that you test, test, test, and simply take out and isolate the ones that test positive (and retest everyone after discovery). If you go the Iowa HS route and try to isolate entire teams because one player tests positive, then it's not even worth starting.

Saliva tests would go a long ways to this.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Saliva tests would go a long ways to this.

I got tested today and have an s shaped deviated septum. I would have given my left nut to have had a saliva test rather than that torture. Didn’t help that I think the lady was a huge hawk fan and didn’t like my Cy Gy plates.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
We didn't receive appropriations, but our "mother agency" did, I think ISU would be defined as a mother agency for Athletics, thus woud they be subject to those restrictions?

No because the Athletic Department is self sustaining and doesn't receive any state money.

What you are describing sounds like you were the subgrantee. A lot of times Agencies receive their state appropriations and some of that money is earmarked to be subgranted out. The subgrantee has reporting requirements to the subgrantor (Agency), and if the subgrantee doesn't use all the money it was subgranted then the State may lower the amount of money to the Agency that it can use for subgrants. Hope that makes sense. This is common in governmental agencies, but the ISU AD is not like this.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I got tested today and have an s shaped deviated septum. I would have given my left nut to have had a saliva test rather than that torture. Didn’t help that I think the lady was a huge hawk fan and didn’t like my Cy Gy plates.

My stepdaughter got tested last week and she said they just went a little bit into her nose and not deep like we've heard about. She ended up having strept throat and not covid so that's good.

Reactions: Althetuna

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You piqued my interest, so I checked into it. Sounds like there are some available, but probably not in the quantity that we would need just yet.

Yep there needs to be a push for them or should have been a long while ago to maybe have a better chance at things like school, sports etc.

Quick, low cost and I thought I saw somewhere that there can be like a 15 minute results turn around. Staff could show up a little early to work and find out quickly if they're positive to protect others.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
In Ia Sh!tty earlier today, a statement from eiu AD Gary Barta: " uhhhhhhh,.....I read Mr. Puh-lard's letter this morning. I have hired an outside advisory firm to help explain it to me. That money stuff is so much easier when Mr. Furentz just slides his annual upgrade over for me to sign. Sweet!"

"I believe this much for sure,.......Jethro Bodean said, " when you stack them naughts on top of each other, they don't add up to nuthin'. But when you put them next to each other,....they add up in a hurry!!!!"

Last edited:

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Talk to any cop and see how they like that idea. Let's stop all traffic and crime enforcement and just focus on writing mask tickets.

Traffic enforcement should see a huge decline because there are much fewer cars on the road now. They can spare an officer or two.

ForbinsAscynt

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 8, 2014
Dude, deviated septum, left nostril. Found out the hard way. Right side was fine but damn that was not fun for 10-15 seconds

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha

I think all in all, is it will be too hard to maintain isolation while still carrying out a season that involves 150+ players and staff per team.
Yes. If the NBA cannot stop the virus while they're basically all in a bubble...it will be darn near impossible for colleges and universities to do so.

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Plan for what? Losing $40M? Jamie isn't going to get all the vendors and employees to take $40M of IOUs for a year.

You can fire a bunch of people, stop feeding athletes, pull all their benefits, maybe re-negotiate some payments or construction contracts... but in the end you are going to be extraordinarily insolvent. I am not exactly sure what that means for the AD (or for ISU, if that happens). Maybe one of the accountants can comment.
Yes, like I said, he'd be better off for at least having a plan on what they will do if there are no fall and spring sports.

Having various scenarios in disaster planning is not uncommon. If JP is so "innnovative," then the scenario of the "no sports" better be in his plan.

We've just seen the BIG go to conference games only and Stanford cutting 11 sports
and the Ivy League having no fall sports, with the Patriot League about to pull the trigger.

Let's not put our heads in the sand here. Every big business I've worked for or consulted for has a disaster plan with various scenarios. University/College ADepts can do the same.