Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Kind of an awkward sentence by JP, but the point remains valid. Everybody understands it is a trade off between money and safety, and save for a handful of arguments, few are really saying otherwise.

But people make that argument as if it is a simple decision, because football isn't essential, and act as if the decision to play is based on some rich guys getting richer, and that's all. Save for Campbell and to a lesser extent Pollard, it's about people having or not having jobs. That is not just within football and the AD, but ISU as a whole and Ames, whose economy is partially dependent on these gamedays.

I'm not saying ISU should have football. I don't know. But there are tons of things we do everyday that are tradeoffs between safety and money/freedom/convenience. Ban driving over 40 mph, alcohol, and added sugar and we probably save several hundreds of thousands of lives each year. None of those things are necessary.

Dead people don't have jobs.
It's about pretending the pandemic isn't really a problem, and that's another problem.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
It's about pretending the pandemic isn't really a problem, and that's another problem.
Wanting to find solutions in the middle of this argument doesn't mean you want people dead..

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Hi Curt! I know you are good accountant (we have met) and I think you are trying to make the point that reserves are held inside of non-profits and your post shows that point well, but I disagree with your presentation. Someone not familiar with accounting and looking at the ISU financial statement would indicate that there is a bunch of unrestricted cash and investments laying around.

#2 above is actually unrestricted capital assets like buildings, land, and equipment. it is not liquid.

The other point people need to understand is the assets of the Foundation are included in this balance sheet and therefore the cash and investments appear to come mainly from the Foundation. There is about $40 million of cash in the University accounts, but that is probably smaller than what you would expect for a $1.3-$1.4 billion enterprise.

I agree with your point about reserves, I just don't want people to think the University has that much unrestricted resources available to solve this potential problem outside of the Foundation.

I am disagreeing with your post because as follows:

upload_2020-7-13_14-44-27.png
Unrestricted = $552 million as I stated in my post

$1 billion is the portion for capital assets
$28 million is for Permanently restricted items
Appox. $38 million is Restricted for a particular purpose (Student loans, Scholarships, etc.)

Per Footnote 1:

upload_2020-7-13_14-49-17.png

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Wanting to find solutions in the middle of this argument doesn't mean you want people dead..

Huh, I didn't even go there.
There is a solution that solves everything, and it's not long, drawn-out letters focused on money over safety. We just won't do that one, which breaks down every "solution" thrown out there.

But this isn't finding a solution. This is just stubbornly pressing on.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Huh, I didn't even go there.
There is a solution that solves everything, and it's not long, drawn-out letters focused on money over safety. We just won't do that one, which breaks down every "solution" thrown out there.

But this isn't finding a solution. This is just stubbornly pressing on.
But isn't ISU athletics as well as the University making it mandatory to wear masks to events? That's the solution you're talking about right?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

By not banning added sugar in food and alcohol we are pretending that having a nation full of unhealthy overweight people isn't a problem. Why do we continue to choose money over safety?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Well if Pollard were to make these claims on facebook he would be called a monster that loves killing children. Everyone knows you either support 100% online and lockdown or you want young people to die.

No in between. No rational thoughts.

literally no one thinks that.

SwirlyBird

Aug 2, 2015
By not banning added sugar in food and alcohol we are pretending that having a nation full of unhealthy overweight people isn't a problem. Why do we continue to choose money over safety?
Hoho's don't cause covid.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
It easy to say, pay for operating costs with debt. But someone has to buy the debt. I would agree that this is probably a 1 year blip for college athletics, but who knows if having a vaccine is reasonable within a year.

Also, it's not only the Athletic Departments that are going to feel the revenue crunch, but the overall university as well which JP spells out in his letter.

If football doesn't happen, then schools can't really afford the cost of Olympic Sports. But Title IX comes into play. So does can cuts to men's sports like wrestling, golf, cross-country and track & field cut enough costs to pay debt service? Currently football is an 85 full scholarship sport. For a period a time, does that need to be let's say 65 full scholarships? That would allow for a reduction in women's sports as well.

A lot of people focus on the billions that football and basketball bring in from their TV contracts. But the reality is most schools don't bank money because they spend on facility improvements and pay for the hundreds of other scholarship sport athletes.

But then, at least, you are giving the AD a choice to see the costs of the debt and make a choice to keep sports and employees based on that. Right now, they seem a little hamstrung by the rules. I’m thinking most options should be on the table, although this is far from my forte.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Athletics? JP has specified a no-mask policy because they didn't want something difficult to enforce.

false. The last update said fans would be required to have masks to enter stadium. I think they are aware it will be hard to enforce but they are requiring it. Students will need masks to go to class.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Athletics? JP has specified a no-mask policy because they didn't want something difficult to enforce.
Someone already quoted you, but masks will be required to attend events. That's a very good thing as far as mitigation.

RealisticCy

Nov 2, 2014
Ames, IA
When does Jamie sign the lifetime contract? Dr Wintersteen needs to get on that

Agreed. I'm very glad we have Pollard involved with this university....might not be an AD with a better handle on the financials.

I'd assume it runs July through June, in keeping with the state of Iowa, but not sure.

ISU fiscal year is July 1 through June 30; I'd assume the athletic department would be the same.

CMC says he doesn’t care about money and doesn’t even know what he makes, so maybe JP can just quit paying him and see how long it takes him to notice? ;)

The higher paid coaches will likely have to take a pretty significant cut; all athletics employees may have some degree of salary reduction.

When did flattening the curve to not overwhelm hospitals become how many new cases there are. Testing is up - a lot- and the positive rate for test has gone down since April. So, I guess my question is: are there really more cases out there, or are we just finding more now?

In Iowa, yes.......in many other states that rate has skyrocketed. Including Texas. And to both of your questions, yes; there are more cases and we are better at finding them, particularly since the resources for testing have expanded and it's much easier to get tested if you want.

It doesn't have to be one and not the other....

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
College football is just plain crazy. When it's up an running its a cash cow and you can't print money fast enough to keep up with the arms race. When it can't happen, budget cuts everywhere, threats of losing sports, and a grim outlook.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron