Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

diaclone

Apr 16, 2006
Metro Omaha
Anyone catch Fienbaum on SEC network? Interviewed SEC Commish..

basically by end of July if Covid is trending down we will see fball..if it is still getting worse we won’t..

This country has 2 weeks to get its **** together for the sake of college sports.
Yep.....

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Other item to consider is if the school is online only - what happens to Ames?

how many hotels can survive?
How many restaurants make it?
Landlords that are counting on students paying rent.

Ames like other college towns that survive off students, families visiting, college football weekends - will be bankrupt

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008

Ames like other college towns that survive off students, families visiting, college football weekends - will be bankrupt
Bingo! "If" there isn't school or sports this year, you are going to see a lot of colleges/towns struggle. I'm not sure where we can strike the balance of living with the virus/staying healthy.
My guess- I think we have fall sports, but we find out it's struggle to keep people healthy and there won't be any winter sports.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
I start with the assumption that mask wearing is going to be mandatory. My second assumption is that the virus doesn't transmit all that well outside. The combination should be sufficient.

The main question I see is how they handle positive tests among players. The only workable solution in my mind is that you test, test, test, and simply take out and isolate the ones that test positive (and retest everyone after discovery). If you go the Iowa HS route and try to isolate entire teams because one player tests positive, then it's not even worth starting.

Who's going to enforce wearing masks in the stadium?

Concessions: yes or no?
Band/cheerleaders: yes or no?
Halftime show: Yes or no?
Tailgail: yes or no?
Spirit walk: yes or no?

I think we agree college football is college football in part due to the atmosphere. At what point does the game become not worth attending? I'm still open to playing games in front of an empty stadium but having a crowd seems like an unnecessary risk at this point.

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Who's going to enforce wearing masks in the stadium?

Concessions: yes or no?
Band/cheerleaders: yes or no?
Halftime show: Yes or no?
Tailgail: yes or no?
Spirit walk: yes or no?

I think we agree college football is college football in part due to the atmosphere. At what point does the game become not worth attending? I'm still open to playing games in front of an empty stadium but having a crowd seems like an unnecessary risk at this point.

Your series of questions is for JP to decide, and the answer to those questions should provide the basis for fans to decide if it's worth attending or not. No one is going to force you to go.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Your series of questions is for JP to decide, and the answer to those questions should provide the basis for fans to decide if it's worth attending or not. No one is going to force you to go.

But you go and get the virus and come home and give it to 3 others, who each give it to 3 more, etc.

See how you going can affect those of us who don’t.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
What about a student-athlete who doesn't feel comfortable playing? Does their scholarship get pulled if they don't participate?

I would hope they are granted a medical redshirt type of waiver for the year. No one should be forced to play or have a year of eligibility burned if they don’t feel comfortable playing.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
If you are looking for me to create an action plan for hosting college football games in my spare time, it's not going to happen lol.

Let's see what they come up with, and then people can decide for themselves if they want to go.

On a near daily basis you create "action plans" for the monetary system of the United States but all-of-a-sudden you can't decide if cheerleaders should be at college football games?:confused:

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009

Many Ames business would go broke.

University enrollment will fall off a cliff too and cause financial strain on the University itself - why pay ISU tuition when you aren’t getting the full experience? People, especially undergrads, will take community college classes online from home for a fraction of the cost.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bingo! "If" there isn't school or sports this year, you are going to see a lot of colleges/towns struggle. I'm not sure where we can strike the balance of living with the virus/staying healthy.
My guess- I think we have fall sports, but we find out it's struggle to keep people healthy and there won't be any winter sports.

There several classes that have already went online for next semester. I know of a couple kids who have already decided to not stay in Ames now. They can commute for the 1-2 classes they have in person (if they don’t go online also) and save good money.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
Good, informative, and well reasoned, IMO.

"I feel it is imperative and timely to clarify the reasons why we are doing everything in our power to try and safely play college sports this fall.

Some people have incorrectly framed the issue as safety versus revenue generation. The simple fact is that reality lies somewhere in the middle. As leaders, we remain committed to safety first. As I outlined in my letter on June 25, 2020, we are working hard to develop and implement mitigation strategies to reduce the risk to players and fans at events this fall. More details about these plans will be provided in the near future.

We must also be cognizant of the absolute need to generate revenues to sustain our long-term operations. We felt it was important to be transparent about the financial realities in college athletics today to add some context to the discussion. Although I am most-familiar with our financial situation, many peers have shared similar stories in regards to their financial projections."

tumblr_osj7a8czgY1s1v3r1o4_r1_540.gif

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Many Ames business would go broke.

University enrollment will fall off a cliff too and cause financial strain on the University itself - why pay ISU tuition when you aren’t getting the full experience? People, especially undergrads, will take community college classes online from home for a fraction of the cost.

DMACC would disagree. They're finding that it's extremely difficult to recruit students in this environment.

DeereClone

Nov 16, 2009
DMACC would disagree. They're finding that it's extremely difficult to recruit students in this environment.

That's surprising to me. Is that just a reflection of less interest in college education all-together? Or what is the cause?

I know if I was in college or had a kid in college I would look really hard at community college online for this year with all the uncertainty.

Help Support Us

Become a patron