Jamie Pollard letter on falls sports

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cyclonepride, Jul 13, 2020.

1. CyBobby

CyBobby Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    Central Iowa
    Ratings:
    +1,306 / 231 / -5
    I agree with you number 32....."There is NO right or wrong answer".....

2. Beyerball

Beyerball Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Sales
    Texas
    Ratings:
    +4,053 / 433 / -8
    According to Pete Thamel at SI he’s saying there won’t be a cfball season and it’s already done it’s a matter of when it’s announced..

so there’s that

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +42,223 / 2,366 / -289
    The 99.76% who live have to be accounted for as well.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. CascadeClone

CascadeClone Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,757 / 97 / -1
    Plan for what? Losing $40M? Jamie isn't going to get all the vendors and employees to take $40M of IOUs for a year.

You can fire a bunch of people, stop feeding athletes, pull all their benefits, maybe re-negotiate some payments or construction contracts... but in the end you are going to be extraordinarily insolvent. I am not exactly sure what that means for the AD (or for ISU, if that happens). Maybe one of the accountants can comment.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. BCClone

BCClone Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Male
    North Iowa
    Ratings:
    +23,306 / 694 / -4
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. agrabes

agrabes Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2006
    Ratings:
    +358 / 24 / -0
    I think there are few good points you brought up. First, attending classes. I totally agree that the players need to attend classes in the same way that any other student would attend. Or at least, as much as they would in a normal academic year. I'm sure the University has already put plans in place to limit exposure for all students. Reducing things like large lectures, spacing students out while in class, requiring masks while indoors, etc. I don't think that attending class will be a high risk activity. If it is, then students should not be there at all and this whole point is moot.

Second regarding it being too difficult to maintain isolation -
    When you look at it and say "It's 150 people for 4-5 months!" it seems impossible. And yes, there are outbreaks all over the place and our country is not doing so hot with this virus thing. But that's society as a whole. If you break it down and say "Ok, it's 150 people who just have to be a little more vigilant with social distancing and PPE than they were before" then it doesn't seem crazy. It's manageable to keep 150 people in line most of the time. Pretty much everything they do is low risk as long as they are willing to take simple precautions. These guys are all highly motivated to play and win, if they can put extra effort into their workouts to meet those goals, they can put extra effort into social distancing too. Maybe I'm giving them too much credit, but I think they know that this is not like getting caught drinking or smoking pot or whatever else. That stuff can get you into trouble, but won't kill the season. Infecting the whole team with the virus will kill the season and possibly kill people.

I guess that's a long way of saying there are real hurdles to overcome, but it's not impossible to do this in a safe way. I'll continue to add the disclaimer that I think having 30k fans in the stadium is unsafe though.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. clonedude

clonedude Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2006
    Male
    Ratings:
    +13,980 / 1,490 / -106
    So just to use as an example.... let's say after a couple games Player A, who has a decent chance at playing in the NFL someday, tests positive for covid. But he's over it fairly quick and is only out like 3 or 4 games.

He then tries to come back and realizes he's lost quite a bit of his lung capacity and doctors tell him he'll likely never get it back again. And it's bad enough that he can no longer perform at the elite level required, and is never able to play again.

Or what if Player B after a game simply talks to his parents on the field, his parents end up getting covid from him and then die. Or if nobody is allowed to get near the players EVER, let's say a player unknowingly ends up giving it to an older assistant coach who ends up dying from it.

People do understand that a child did come home and gave it to both of their parents and both parents died from it, right? That actually happened in this country.

What if we play the entire season, and let's say during that season 8 players had gotten it during the season, but overcame it and came back. Then next March we come to find out that 5 of those 8 players now have serious medical conditions resulting from having it? Let's say one players kidneys stop functioning and has to go on dialysis. Another gets slight brain damage from it? Etc, etc.

Will we look back on the season and say it was worth playing it?

8. CycloneErik

CycloneErik Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Grad Student
    Jamerica
    Ratings:
    +30,908 / 1,130 / -41
    I think we'll be changing your name to Coronapride.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. isu81

isu81 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Ratings:
    +1,252 / 140 / -8
    The situation Iowa State Is in, while not unique, is not the case for every program. First, we've been in a position to have to spend everything we bring in to stay close to others in facilities, salaries, etc. We are one of the lowest revenue P5 schools and thus, were in one of the worst positions to have the golden goose shut down. There are programs with huge amounts in reserves.

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

10. dbodeenisudm

dbodeenisudm Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,067 / 188 / -109
    what happens if there is no football fall or spring?
    shoot it to me straight
    does isu lose cmc?
    is isu/iowa finally finished?

11. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +23,108 / 450 / -1
    Well, some peeps do give. ISU Foundation is $1.3B into their goal of $1.5B for their current campaign. Of course that isn't just cash America sitting around in a vault. Lots of pledges and such. Since I have ISU as one of my beneficiaries I hope they don't start thinking I am worth more to them dead than live. :rolleyes: #fundingviaassassination

12. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    Ratings:
    +9,909 / 1,470 / -1,635
    Maybe I missed it, but what is the point of the "conference games only" policy? If it is to push back the season by 4 weeks, well OK. But if it is concern over Corona virus, why is EIU travelling to Ames a hazard, but travelling to Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania OK?

13. theshadow

theshadow Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +3,279 / 37 / -0
    Because conferences can control policy/procedure for their schools, and ensure that they're all working from the same standards.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. CNECloneFan

CNECloneFan Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Professor, Geology
    Ratings:
    +9,909 / 1,470 / -1,635
    I haven't seen that in the reports I have looked at, but that does make sense.

15. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Apr 7, 2009
    New York, NY
    Ratings:
    +46 / 11 / -1
    still don't see why that can't be worked out on an individual basis. pretty sure all of the P5 conferences would agree to the same policies for that.

16. cysmiley

cysmiley Active Member

Jun 30, 2012
    Ratings:
    +110 / 2 / -1
    We didn't receive appropriations, but our "mother agency" did, I think ISU would be defined as a mother agency for Athletics, thus woud they be subject to those restrictions?

17. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales and marketing
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +42,223 / 2,366 / -289
    Suit yourself. This is a bad situation, and everyone should take precautions, and if you're vulnerable, by all means, don't go to games. If you do go to games, don't go around vulnerable people without being extremely cautious. But this is not the black plague, and life does have to go on, through this and after this.

18. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +23,108 / 450 / -1
    #218 BoxsterCy, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Dr. Raymond Stantz: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
    Dr. Egon Spengler: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
    Winston Zeddemore: The dead rising from the grave!
    Dr. Peter Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!
    Mayor: All right, all right! I get the point!

• Like Like x 2
  19. rochclone

rochclone Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 28, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 249 / -6
    Nothing 5 trillion in PPP can solve. Plus another $2,500 to every citizen. I mean what can really go wrong if the government just starts printing money at that rate.

20. rochclone

rochclone Well-Known Member
    SuperFanatic SuperFanatic T2

Jan 28, 2009
    Ratings:
    +2,896 / 249 / -6
    #220 rochclone, Jul 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    Federally mandate masks being worn inside for 6 weeks or outside on groups of over 25 if social distancing can’t be accomplished. Made it punishable by jail to not wear one and have 45 take the lead. We would crush this virus and the company would be completely reopened by Labor Day. It’s insane that somebody on his staff doesn’t tell him that this technique likely guarantees him victory in November.