Jamie Pollard gives further details on plans for Jack Trice Stadium in 2020

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
If they split the season will they refund half the ticket price? If I'm honest I don't think it changes anything for me, but would be curious.

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Don’t care what they do as long as there is football. (I only make it back for 1 game each year anyways so my opinion is pretty much worthless)

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
just cancel the season go to the spring. to many restrictions
lhzbk1oiav341.jpg

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
If they split the season will they refund half the ticket price? If I'm honest I don't think it changes anything for me, but would be curious.

You would think they would have to do something.

My guess is they will do it in line with other options- lower the season ticket price and allow season ticket holders to request a refund or to count that money towards 2021, but the default option to apply that as a donation to the cyclone club

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I obviously have no real understanding on the math here, but can it really be worth it to fill the stadium up at 25%? I mean, there has to come a point where you're barely breaking even, especially with no concessions. By the time you staff the thing at 25% capacity I can't imagine you make any money.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I obviously have no real understanding on the math here, but can it really be worth it to fill the stadium up at 25%? I mean, there has to come a point where you're barely breaking even, especially with no concessions. By the time you staff the thing at 25% capacity I can't imagine you make any money.
The reason to try having fans is so there aren't mass refund requests.
Break even, or even just limit losses, is the goal this year.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Limit losses and try to show ur committed to producing for your fans.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I applaud Jamie and staff for making some of the tough decisions. There are still plenty more to come (no way attendance should be 50%) but props for some of the strategies already in place with no food or alcohol and masks required for all.

yes, I am not convinced football should happen. But Jamie has been upfront and cautious. The football team has been careful.

• Agree
Reactions: kcbob79clone

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Aug. 14, 2020

Dear Cyclone fans,

Thank you for all of the emails, letters and calls the past several days. We appreciate your continued engagement with Cyclone Athletics. I’m writing to share several updates following the Big 12 President’s decision regarding fall sports.
1.​
The NCAA announced yesterday it has cancelled fall championships in the sports of volleyball, soccer and cross country. The decision was based on NCAA legislation that does not permit championships to be conducted in sports that have less than 50% of the institutions (who sponsor the sport) competing. We are working closely with the Big 12 Conference and our head coaches to determine whether those three sports will compete this fall.​
2.​
Neither the NCAA nor the Big 12 have made any decision on winter sports (basketball, wrestling, swimming & diving, gymnastics and track & field). Those discussions will begin in the coming weeks. At this time, we believe those seasons would likely not start until Jan. 1, 2021.​
3.​
We continue to work with campus officials to finalize our comprehensive COVID-19 mitigation measures for hosting football games. We have made several changes to what was previously shared regarding mitigation efforts for Jack Trice Stadium:​
Face Coverings – Face coverings will be required at ALL times for ALL individuals at the games. This includes suites, club sections, general seating and the press tower.

Parking & Tailgating – Access to all parking lots will be available two hours before and after kickoff. There will be no tailgating allowed and RVs and buses will not be allowed to park in any university-owned parking lots. Donors who purchased a RV parking pass will automatically have their pass converted to a donor car parking lot. These measures are similar to our Big 12 peers.

Tents – There will be no tent parties on stadium grounds, including tent row north of the stadium.

Limited Concessions – Concession operations will be limited to water and soda only (no food service). However, fans will be allowed to bring their own snacks (provided the items adhere to our current clear bag policy) into the stadium. Coolers will not be allowed inside the stadium.

Club Sections – There will be no food or alcohol service in the Jack Trice Club or the Sukup End Zone Club. Water and soda service will be available in those clubs.
In addition to these mitigation strategies, we continue to discuss capacity limits and are considering three options.
1.​
No Fans - Attendance would be limited to student-athletes’ families and friends.​
2.​
Split Season - Allowing ticket holders to sit in their current seating location but limiting stadium capacity to 25%. This would require assigning each season ticket holder three of the six scheduled home games. We have already sold season tickets for 50% capacity, so by limiting capacity to 25% means each season ticket would include three games.​
3.​
Full Season - Keep stadium capacity at 50% (the fans who have already purchased season tickets) but reseat the entire stadium, using each ticket holder’s Cyclone Club level and priority points, to create as much social distance between ticket holders as possible. Ticket holders would most likely not get their normal seat location but they would be able to attend all six games.​
It is our goal to provide the student-athletes and coaches the opportunity to play football games in a safe environment with the largest crowd possible. The safety of all participants, fans and workers remains our top priority. That is the reason such thorough and comprehensive virus mitigation and capacity plans are being vetted.

As previously shared, attempts to implement mitigation strategies to a standard of absolute protection is simply not reasonable. It will ultimately be up to each attendee to decide if they are comfortable attending games given the mitigation strategies we implement.

As a reminder, any season ticket holder has the option to 1) convert their season ticket purchase into a fully tax-deductible Cyclone Club donation; 2) defer their 2020 ticket purchase to 2021 and retain their seating location; or 3) request a refund of their season ticket purchase.

If you are considering opting out of the 2020 season, please contact the Cyclone Club or Athletics Ticket Office by Aug. 28 to help us with our planning.

Thanks for your understanding as we continue to work through these challenging issues. We anticipate sharing our final mitigation and capacity plans no later than Sept. 1.

Go Cyclones!

Sincerely,
TXs8COVcwaZM3ik6I_HSsRP8uwb7_syGVBM7osN7407FVteo9zx969YOSL3zZs10ar5zppYr4ZSJQMj0qIgHBi4HIOwo-q6MyLH_s-rgDDa0IoBwLE6uUmxRsGsjV8XeDTUZmLWucFsuX44a=s0-d-e1-ft
Jamie Pollard
Director of Athletics
I am wondering about the Cyclone Club donation itself. Does it count for anything this year? I guess it does if I a) use my FB tickets or b) defer the purchase to 2021. If b) will I need to again donate at the same level/amount as this year?

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I wonder if we could see alcohol sales throughout the stadium this year. With 50% or 25% capacity, would be easier to control.

TedKumsher

Aug 30, 2007
Ames
Just how much more do you think it costs to staff the stadium for a game with fans vs. no fans? 25% capacity comprising the 25% most expensive tickets has to be something like $500,000 at least, right?

Cyvilian

Apr 15, 2006
I am wondering about the Cyclone Club donation itself. Does it count for anything this year? I guess it does if I a) use my FB tickets or b) defer the purchase to 2021. If b) will I need to again donate at the same level/amount as this year?

Your Cyclone Club donation counts to your standing in the pecking order. It sounds like from the memo that your CC level will determine where you get to sit in a socially distanced JTS. I think you will need to make your regular CC donation in 2021 to maintain your status.
IIRC, we were supposed to see Cyclone Club rate increases this year, until COVID hit. I think all that was deferred to next year.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I haven't been to a game in the Campbell era yet, so no big deal about the tailgating. Pretty used to doing that in my back yard or living room by now. Less hassle too

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Just how much more do you think it costs to staff the stadium for a game with fans vs. no fans? 25% capacity comprising the 25% most expensive tickets has to be something like $500,000 at least, right?

Can't possible be pure profit. Plus, how many of those "expensive tickets" are going to request refunds? Of that 25% of people who can come, I'd guess only a small percentage demand a refund if they can't come.

I'm not sure what the tipping point is, but there comes a point where the revenue you generate off 25% capacity can't justify the public health concerns.