Jamie Pollard 30 minute Radio Interview

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
I'll say this as someone that is generally very pro-journalism. Journalists are not doing themselves many favors in relation to public perception.

Rappers want to be football players and football players want to be rappers.

Journalists want to be pundits and pundits want to be journalists.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
No, the problem is they pass off their editorial opinion as facts. In other words, trolling, and then they get pissy when their audience calls them out on it. Knowing your audience is a key to any media member. Sorry, they may want to flip back and forth between editorial journalism (lol) and reporting at the whim of their agendas and narratives, but the customer is always right.

Andy and Murph, or any of the KXNO trolls are not worth my time and certainly not my money. I already own YeahBuddy here on CF. Hines is okay when he sticks to reporting, breaking down what went wrong or right, etc. The more he blends in his common contrarian opinions he becomes replaceable with trolls. It’s a shame he’s forced to resort to that for attention, I thought he had more talent than that.

Clown nose on. Clown nose off.

If you want to be taken seriously, conduct yourself seriously. If you want to be a troll, there's people who enjoy that, go right ahead. You can't do both. Don't get upset when the people you "cover" refuse to play your game.

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
He didn’t even listen to why JP had an issue with it. As soon as JP mentioned the word “media” Fales started interrupting and even after the logical time to bring it up passed he kept going back to it and I could here him huffing and trying to jump in while JP was talking about other issues. Murphy had to check Fales imo by keeping the interview moving forward.

This is why the "media" all over the world needs to stick to reporting news (facts) not give opinions, and spin ****. Its annoying. Hey look at me I have an opinion. Now a show meant for opinions I get, its what it is. The hard part here is Murph and Andy are both. They are news reporters for their full time job, but they also give a lot of opinion. Not sure they mix well. The radio and sound off is all opinion. I wish they would stop then pretending that is also news. The Reg and Randy Peterson again dont stick to news reporting, they take sides on issues and give lots of editorial pieces which include opinion. Cant be both and pretend its all the same.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: swessball and 67CY

ChrisMWilliams

Publisher
Staff member
Bookie
Apr 10, 2006
Bondurant, Iowa
www.CycloneFanatic.com
I just want to add a few things...

1 - I absolutely love Keith Murphy like a second father (although he'd cringe reading that). Some of the best advice - personal and professional - I've gotten in my life has been from that man. I could not have been more blessed than to have Murph and John Walters - two of the finest human beings I know - take me under their wing. I'm not sure why they did but I am forever grateful for it.

2 - I interned for Andy back in the day and work with him now at KXnO. Love or hate him, he's genuine. That is him. He's an edgy commentator. That's his thing. Great person off the air.

3 - I cringe when I see media acting superior to the rest of society in social media, on public, or wherever. I totally understand how it is a turnoff to those consumers.

4 - Think of it this way though ... I'm sure if you are a farmer, you're defensive of other famers. It's probably that way for those who work in healthcare, etc. So when something that you do is attacked, I think is a very natural response to get defensive of it. Not saying we are always right for doing it, but I'm trying to humanize it for you guys.

Hope that helped. Thanks for the conversation.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
So many interviews where they just want to hear themselves talk and not the person being interviewed. And interrupting is rude whether you are a "journalist" or not.
That's my problem. It's not that Fales has an opinion, it's that he can't let it go. He's a talented and smart guy, but if you have a guest, state your opinion, challenge the guest as needed, but after that you have to move on, shut your trap and let the guest speak. It also gets annoying that he always presents himself as being above the "hot take" approach, yet slips into that mode quite often.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
That's my problem. It's not that Fales has an opinion, it's that he can't let it go. He's a talented and smart guy, but if you have a guest, state your opinion, challenge the guest as needed, but after that you have to move on, shut your trap and let the guest speak. It also gets annoying that he always presents himself as being above the "hot take" approach, yet slips into that mode quite often.

Exactly. Why interview anyone if you can't show them enough respect to say something without interrupting with your take? And for people who make a living calling out others, they are oh so sensitive.

Jim Rome is kind of an ass without a guest, but he does a good interview because he lets the other person actually present their point without being rude.

I guess they think Cyclone fans are their turf to troll harder than Herbstreit.:rolleyes:

• Disagree
Reactions: swessball

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
For folks who can't stand Murph, what is your reasoning? Since moving to Des Moines 5 years ago, he's about the only sports news anchor I enjoy.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Does that link need a subscription?

I just need to know that JP is ready to kill the bloody bugle logo....

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Does that link need a subscription?

I just need to know that JP is ready to kill the bloody bugle logo....
Sounds like the bugle logo was mostly Coach Campbell's idea. And due to him being superstitious we didn't see it again with the way we played with it on in the original game.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I just want to add a few things...

1 - I absolutely love Keith Murphy like a second father (although he'd cringe reading that). Some of the best advice - personal and professional - I've gotten in my life has been from that man. I could not have been more blessed than to have Murph and John Walters - two of the finest human beings I know - take me under their wing. I'm not sure why they did but I am forever grateful for it.

2 - I interned for Andy back in the day and work with him now at KXnO. Love or hate him, he's genuine. That is him. He's an edgy commentator. That's his thing. Great person off the air.

3 - I cringe when I see media acting superior to the rest of society in social media, on public, or wherever. I totally understand how it is a turnoff to those consumers.

4 - Think of it this way though ... I'm sure if you are a farmer, you're defensive of other famers. It's probably that way for those who work in healthcare, etc. So when something that you do is attacked, I think is a very natural response to get defensive of it. Not saying we are always right for doing it, but I'm trying to humanize it for you guys.

Hope that helped. Thanks for the conversation.

Notice he didn't bother to try to cover for that asshat Sears. That dude just needs to be replaced.

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Exactly. Why interview anyone if you can't show them enough respect to say something without interrupting with your take? .

Interesting how this statement (made about an October 2017 interview) fits perfectly with the April 2018 interview. Does Fales always interrupt guests? Or just Pollard (as if he is trying to get an upper hand)? I don't remember this about him in the past. Pollard handled it well, but I could see Fales using this technique to try to lead him to say something he doesn't really want to say, such as the statements about the "tornado" logo. Why not just call it a "cyclone?"

• Agree

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Sounds like the bugle logo was mostly Coach Campbell's idea. And due to him being superstitious we didn't see it again with the way we played with it on in the original game.

Does Pollard really think that we make our judgments about jerseys based on whether we win or not? If so, then we would have been demanding a new jersey nearly every week in recent football seasons?

And the grey jerseys are not what I remember from the Tennessee basketball game! I don't recall anyone complaining about the jerseys after that debacle.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Notice he didn't bother to try to cover for that asshat Sears. That dude just needs to be replaced.

Funny how Sears pretty much disappeared from the interview. Fales had an agenda and Sears apparently knew to stay out of the way.