Jameel McKay Observations

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I've heard this one before. I have never once seen Nader play, not a single minute. If he is as good as the hype I have heard/read, we are a top 5 team next year...right now...even considering what we will lose (which is substantial in Mel and DK).

Is AN that kind of guy?

White and Clyburn received the same hype. He's probably more of a Clyburn, but yeah we should be better next year with him, McKay, and hopefully Vaughn... Hell we should be better by default just for the simple reason of Morris, Thomas, Naz, Hogue, and Niang all being a year better.. Shoot what if SDW starts reaching his potential on top of that? He's raw, but has the skill to be very very good.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
McKay will be a nice addition for sure, but I don't think that anyone is going to put Hogue on the bench. He's either going to start at the 4 or the 3. They're going to have a good team next year. The key will be whether Custer can be a good backup PG. And of course, if they get Vaughn, the sky's the limit.

I don't see it happening either. You could argue that Hogue is the best player on the team this year. He just does it all. It sounds like McKay was the better player at one point, but its very possible that Hoiberg has allowed Hogue to elevate to a much higher level.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Is it true that McKay let Marquette because he wouldn't be able to win a starting role? Thats what I heard, if true we need to temper our expectations. If what I heard is wrong, please let us know.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
You heard right but I still don't know why I would temper expectations, every place is different.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
White and Clyburn received the same hype. He's probably more of a Clyburn, but yeah we should be better next year with him, McKay, and hopefully Vaughn... Hell we should be better by default just for the simple reason of Morris, Thomas, Naz, Hogue, and Niang all being a year better.. Shoot what if SDW starts reaching his potential on top of that? He's raw, but has the skill to be very very good.

You're inching dangerously close to copyright infringement.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
With this year's team playing so well I am not putting my hope in next year. However, height will still hurt this year's team at some point. I like the idea of having guys like Mckay at 6'8" and Nader at 6'7" (over 7' wingspan). Hopefully they are both good enough to get minutes in the high 20's.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Is it true that McKay let Marquette because he wouldn't be able to win a starting role? Thats what I heard, if true we need to temper our expectations. If what I heard is wrong, please let us know.
Please let us know?

They were wrong. It is too bad it took enrolling at Marquette for McKay to realize how much better it is for him to play for a coach like Fred.

With this year's team playing so well I am not putting my hope in next year. However, height will still hurt this year's team at some point. I like the idea of having guys like Mckay at 6'8" and Nader at 6'7" (over 7' wingspan). Hopefully they are both good enough to get minutes in the high 20's.
Nader has potential to be a mismatch on offense, but to be a "plus" player (and help replace Ejim) he will need to improve his defense and rebounding. Nader is not really a post and unless he changes his game he will struggle on defense if seeing most of his minutes at those positions. However, like McKay, if any coach will be able to get Nader's advantage on offense to dictate the match-up, it is Hoiberg.

I think we see Edozie have a bigger role next season- possibly a consistent 15-20 minute guy. We lose a lot of rebounds and defense in Kane and Ejim. Nader & Georges are below average rebounders and McKay is not eligible until second semester, so Edozie will be needed imo. I think with another year under Fred he will be capable.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
McKay won't take anyone's starting job but with his athleticism he should be a great energy guy off the bench. Even without including RV, next year will be Fred's deepest team. He should have 2 guards and bigs to bring off the bench to choose from.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
McKay won't take anyone's starting job but with his athleticism he should be a great energy guy off the bench. Even without including RV, next year will be Fred's deepest team. He should have 2 guards and bigs to bring off the bench to choose from.
Who is starting for Ejim? If, or when, McKay is eligible, he is Ejim's replacement imo.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006

Not true. Buzz wanted to play him at the 5 and McKay wanted nothing to do with that.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Who is starting for Ejim? If, or when, McKay is eligible, he is Ejim's replacement imo.

Nader will already be established there. Won't happen. I could see McKay and Naz/Thomas first off the bench if Vaughn comes. If no Vaughn, just McKay/Naz.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I don't see it happening either. You could argue that Hogue is the best player on the team this year. He just does it all. It sounds like McKay was the better player at one point, but its very possible that Hoiberg has allowed Hogue to elevate to a much higher level.

You could. Have to consider that Melvin, Kane and Niang draw an awful lot of defensive attention and Dustin certainly benefits from that. But he's undoubtedly huge for us.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I'm totally unstressed as to who starts. Come conference we'll have 4 quality bigs all playing 20+ minutes. That's something this team hasn't had in how long?

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Nader will already be established there. Won't happen. I could see McKay and Naz/Thomas first off the bench if Vaughn comes. If no Vaughn, just McKay/Naz.
Like Long was while Ejim was out? Nader may fill in while McKay is not eligible, but he will not be established. Nader has never had to defend or rebound in the post.

I expect Hogue, Georges, McKay, and Nader to all play between 20-30 minutes in Big 12 play. The wild-card is Edozie filling in while McKay is out and if he hangs on to a spot in the rotation.

BBHMagic

Oct 15, 2009
You could. Have to consider that Melvin, Kane and Niang draw an awful lot of defensive attention and Dustin certainly benefits from that. But he's undoubtedly huge for us.

That's true, but it isn't Hogue's offensive abilities that make him so good. It's everything else. I still say Ejim is our most valuable guy, but a case could be made for any of Ejim, Hogue, Kane, or Niang.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Like Long was while Ejim was out? Nader may fill in while McKay is not eligible, but he will not be established. Nader has never had to defend or rebound in the post.

I expect Hogue, Georges, McKay, and Nader to all play between 20-30 minutes in Big 12 play. The wild-card is Edozie filling in while McKay is out and if he hangs on to a spot in the rotation.
I will go with what I have heard about Nader which said he was one of the best players on the team. Go ahead and pick him to come off the bench but it won't happen.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
I will go with what I have heard about Nader which said he was one of the best players on the team. Go ahead and pick him to come off the bench but it won't happen.
I know Nader has gotten a lot of praise. So has McKay, and the hype of starting Nader began prior to McKay switching over and Hogue out working everyone on the court. Yes, Nader may be impressing, but McKay is impressive AND better fits a need. As we have seen with McGee, it is not just about offense.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I think with him sitting out first semester, McKay will come off the bench next year and then replace Hogue in the starting line up in 2015.

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
Hogue has blown us away with his performance this year and filled some huge gaps.

It would be awesome if McKay has the same impact.

< this. A gigantic plus for this team. We'd be 4-4 without Hogue