Jameel McKay Observations

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So, I kind of hate to say this... What you are saying is, he's basically Aaron White?

Not at all like White. White has shown no post moves. McKay's shot also looks better than White's, despite White hitting a couple against us.

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
I went to watch Indian Hills last year. I thought McKay was the best player on the floor. I remember being bummed that he was going to Marquette. Hogue was not good...I was shocked Fred offered him. I told a bunch of guys that he'd be lucky to see the floor for ISU. Amardi was by far the better player of those two in my opinion. Of course, that is why I don't coach college basketball. :twitcy:
Was this when Indian Hills played at Marshalltown CC? If not, I walked away from that game with the same exact opinion. (Although I was still excited for Hogue)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Nader shot 27% from 3 pt as a Freshman and 29% as a Sophomore. Hopefully he has improved on his outside shot.

Nader looked great this summer. Wide shoulders and very strong around the basket on defense and with the ball in his hands. Surprisingly quick moves on offense. Also, seemed like he was having a great time with the team, even though he wouldn't play D1 for another year. Maybe he was just happy to be out of Dekalb and on a good team.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Nader shot 27% from 3 pt as a Freshman and 29% as a Sophomore. Hopefully he has improved on his outside shot.

Fred and Abdel will use this year to improve his shot, just as most of the transfers have done. Secondly, Nader was the all-everything on offense for his team last year. He'll have way better spacing in order to get quality shots, when he's on the floor with Matt Thomas, Niang, Hogue, Morris, Naz, McKay and others.

mustangcy

Apr 11, 2006
Bloomfield
Was this when Indian Hills played at Marshalltown CC? If not, I walked away from that game with the same exact opinion. (Although I was still excited for Hogue)

It was the Southwest CC game I think? Terry Carrrol team...that game in Ottumwa. Seriously, Hogue was not impressive. Totally different player at ISU.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Fred and Abdel will use this year to improve his shot, just as most of the transfers have done. Secondly, Nader was the all-everything on offense for his team last year. He'll have way better spacing in order to get quality shots, when he's on the floor with Matt Thomas, Niang, Hogue, Morris, Naz, McKay and others.

...Vaughn, Custer

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Dunks are probably the highest percentage shot available so I'm pretty sure Fred's strategy isn't to just "give up dunks"

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
I went to watch Indian Hills last year. I thought McKay was the best player on the floor. I remember being bummed that he was going to Marquette. Hogue was not good...I was shocked Fred offered him. I told a bunch of guys that he'd be lucky to see the floor for ISU. Amardi was by far the better player of those two in my opinion. Of course, that is why I don't coach college basketball. :twitcy:

I liked Hogue out of Indian Hills for sure, but I think McKay is a better player. McKay can finish at the basket better than both Hogue or Ejim, although those 2 are both good at finishing. In the very small amount of video I've seen, he seems to have better feel and instincts than Hogue, along with more length. Almost more like an Aaron White with dreads.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Wonder what we'll do with the 4 scholarships for the 2015-2016 season. If everything stays the same (no attrition) then we'll lack post depth, which is a concern, but the starters would make the best group in the Big XII and one of the best in ISU history.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Dunks are probably the highest percentage shot available so I'm pretty sure Fred's strategy isn't to just "give up dunks"

However....Give up dunks when you're already beaten rather than foul? Sure seemed like it against Iowa, and in the end, it mattered.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I liked Hogue out of Indian Hills for sure, but I think McKay is a better player. McKay can finish at the basket better than both Hogue or Ejim, although those 2 are both good at finishing. In the very small amount of video I've seen, he seems to have better feel and instincts than Hogue, along with more length. Almost more like an Aaron White with dreads.

This is true, but man, how many not-quite dunks has he had the past coulple of years? The cringe-worthy one vs. ND in the tourney, his first shot back vs Mich, one last game I believe...

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
This is true, but man, how many not-quite dunks has he had the past coulple of years? The cringe-worthy one vs. ND in the tourney, his first shot back vs Mich, one last game I believe...

He was fouled on the dunk attempt in the Iowa game, as the photo clearly showed.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
Like the Psiclone said he was fouled on the Iowa one. The Michigan one was his first game back and it was a putback. He has had some bad ones but everyone does. I'm sure you have tripped. Does that mean that you aren't very good at walking.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

I think its tough to tell by the way IHCC plays, I've seen them once a year for about 10 years (when they play at Iowa Western) and with their depth its always someone else stepping up, its almost never the hyped guys. McKay did look really good the 2 times I saw him play though, probably the best athlete on the floor. I don't see the Vroman comparison, McKay is a athlete where JV was a banger. Aaron White is actually a better comparison.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
Like the Psiclone said he was fouled on the Iowa one. The Michigan one was his first game back and it was a putback. He has had some bad ones but everyone does. I'm sure you have tripped. Does that mean that you aren't very good at walking.

Geez, defensive much? Calm down, my first sentence said he finished well; I just pointed out he happened to have bricked a couple of dunks (which is no different than missing any other shot).

Also, Georges never misses dunks :)

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Based on the roster as we know it (not assuming RV or another transfer/juco), my personal opinion would be:

1- Morris
2- Thomas
3- Nader
4- Hogue
5- Niang

with Naz and McKay first off the bench and getting similar minutes to the starters.

Don't forget Vaughn too....

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron