Jakolby Long to transfer

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
WE do need one, conditt doesnt have the body to play right away so were going to need someone because lard and young still get in foul trouble. We dont need another guard.
I agree, I think we need another big. We have 3 legitimate posts and Talley can fill in on certain spots. If one of our posts goes down then we are thin. The problem is what kind of grad transfer can we get? Most would want to go where they will get guaranteed playing time and we have 2 legitimate starters. So any transfer that would be willing to come here might not be P5 caliber and it would be better served to us that spot for a player who has more potential (I.e Harris) to make an impact.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Thanks for coming to Ames Jackobly. Best wishes on your next school and Cyclones fans will be rooting for you.

I'll always be curious if his shoulder injury set his development back and with the roster he was going to fight for minutes next year. Give JL a RS year to refine his skills and an opportunity for minutes and he has a good chance to succeed.

I am pretty supportive of Coach Prohm and am quick to call out those who are mad that he's not Fred, but one thing I am critical of him about is not red-shirting JL during his freshmen season since his shoulder injury was a significant one. That makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I am sorry to see him go, as I thought he was a good role player off the bench who does a lot of the little things well: the game at home against Oklahoma being a great example.

Best of luck to you Jakolby. We'll always have Tulsa.

seattleCy

Apr 17, 2015
I am pretty supportive of Coach Prohm and am quick to call out those who are mad that he's not Fred, but one thing I am critical of him about is not red-shirting JL during his freshmen season since his shoulder injury was a significant one. That makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I am sorry to see him go, as I thought he was a good role player off the bench who does a lot of the little things well: the game at home against Oklahoma being a great example.

JL transferring is the exact reason he didn't red-shirt as a freshman. He would have burnt up a year of eligibility during his sit-out year.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

It would have made sense. But we have no idea if he wanted long to and long didn’t want to.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
i retracted this statement, although I still dont think conditt will be useful for atleast 2 years. 6'11 200 lbs is tiny.

Maybe, but if you have Lard and Young playing 25-30 minutes a game and Jacobson playing 10-15 minutes a game, you only have 5-20 minutes of PT available and thats if you don't play small ball with Talley, Shayok, Babb or THT playing the 4.

I'd love for Conditt to redshirt, but he could give you a few minutes of PT in each half and not be a big problem. Just make sure he's alwyas in with either Lard or Young, so he guards the less physical post player.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You won't find many P5 players that red shirt anymore. Players want to reserve that in case they want to transfer.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
JL transferring is the exact reason he didn't red-shirt as a freshman. He would have burnt up a year of eligibility during his sit-out year.
What is the difference between transferring after your redshirt freshman season and having to burn a year as you sit and transferring after your sophomore year and being able to redshirt as you sit out? Either way you are still a redshirt sophomore when you start playing again.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
What is the difference between transferring after your redshirt freshman season and having to burn a year as you sit and transferring after your sophomore year and being able to redshirt as you sit out? Either way you are still a redshirt sophomore when you start playing again.

Redshirt play play sit play

Play play redshirt play play

Both are five years, but one gives you four years to play.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

There's still a chance, if you aren't redshirting, of getting PT, particularly in a year like ISU had this season. Young guys can have that chance to play and prove themselves. If you sit right away there's no chance you're going to get noticed on the floor by your coach or potential future suitors.

It's not really like football where you're going to see drastic changes in a guys strength after a RS year. The best thing to develop basketball players is getting that playing time.

• Agree
Reactions: Sigmapolis

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN

Yeah we all get that. But if the player isn't playing that first season anyway there is no gain.

The question was about his particular situation and redshirting his freshman season. He suffered an injury 5 games into the season and would have been a candidate for a medical hardship but instead he came back and played a meaningless grand total of 4 minutes the remainder of the season. That doesn't seem a meaningful addition to his playing career.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Yeah we all get that. But if the player isn't playing that first season anyway there is no gain.

The question was about his particular situation and redshirting his freshman season. He suffered an injury 5 games into the season and would have been a candidate for a medical hardship but instead he came back and played a meaningless grand total of 4 minutes the remainder of the season. That doesn't seem a meaningful addition to his playing career.

Would he have gotten a sixth-year exemption for the medical hardship?

If yes, I can see your point, but I thought they were being stingier about those things.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
Would he have gotten a sixth-year exemption for the medical hardship?

If yes, I can see your point, but I thought they were being stingier about those things.

He would have gotten a medical hardship year. But he wouldn't have gotten a sixth year. He would still have had 5 to play 4 unless he suffered another injury that kept him out another whole year and they he could apply for a sixth season.