Jake Knott interview on WRNL podcast

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

ZZZ

Feb 10, 2013
Ames, IA
Never knew about his struggles he dealt with after his ISU days. Really cool for them to give Jake a platform to share his open and honest thoughts, and of course relive his days when he was in uniform. Some good Wally stories in there as well

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I sometimes have conflicted feelings about being a football fan. It sometimes seems wrong to support a sport where CTI is so widespread. And it would seem like football would increase the likelihood of someone developing an opioid addiction due to the constant stress and pain a player’s body goes through.

I’m not going to stop being a fan and it’s not like football causes all of these problems. But it’s why I no longer cheer hard hits and why I should probably be careful in wanting players to play through injury.

All that to say, I’m so glad Jake is doing well. Overcoming addiction is hard. And hopefully, he can get involved with the football program if he wants.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I sometimes have conflicted feelings about being a football fan. It sometimes seems wrong to support a sport where CTI is so widespread. And it would seem like football would increase the likelihood of someone developing an opioid addiction due to the constant stress and pain a player’s body goes through.

I’m not going to stop being a fan and it’s not like football causes all of these problems. But it’s why I no longer cheer hard hits and why I should probably be careful in wanting players to play through injury.

All that to say, I’m so glad Jake is doing well. Overcoming addiction is hard. And hopefully, he can get involved with the football program if he wants.

Or for players to 'smoke' an opponent across the middle or whatever. Kind of a different feeling on that than even 15 years ago.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I ran into Jake at the grocery store after he hung it up his last season. He had his arm in a sling and I remember him just looking incredibly tired, standing there in the soda aisle. I went up to him and did the typical "Great Season. Thanks for being a Cyclone" fan stuff. He shook my hand and was just really earnest in his response. Living in Ames, you run into a lot of ISU athletes around town. Most of them are very friendly. Jake stood out.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I would love to have heard more about some of the things that he dropped. For instance, I'll bet he had much more to say about Chizik!

• Winner
Reactions: ZZZ and isufbcurt

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Wow! Many have already probably known about this. I know, for my part, how incredibly proud I am of Jake to confront those demons with the same fortitude he played. That's truly a man.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I would love to have heard more about some of the things that he dropped. For instance, I'll bet he had much more to say about Chizik!
Jake Knott was a complete badass, had it not been for some pretty nasty injuries I think would have stuck longer in the nfl.

I thought when him and AJ Klein were sophomores that Jake was actually better than AJ at that point. But AJ did improve quite a bit as a junior and senior and the rest is history.

Jake is always going to be known as one of the best clone LB'ers ever. With a pretty bad defensive line, him and AJ covered up the holes for that whole defense.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
They've been putting out some good podcasts lately. David Montgomery, Steele Jantz, AJ Klein, Jake Knott, Alan Lazard in recent weeks. I think they're lining up to have EJ Bibbs on soon as well. Marchie Murdock and Josh Lenz seem to b regular guests as well.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
They've been putting out some good podcasts lately. David Montgomery, Steele Jantz, AJ Klein, Jake Knott, Alan Lazard in recent weeks. I think they're lining up to have EJ Bibbs on soon as well. Marchie Murdock and Josh Lenz seem to b regular guests as well.
Marchie, for being at ISU for 1 year, is one of the best Cyclones out there.
Dude is so ******* awesome.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

The hard hits aren't the problem, they are rare and they usually get a lot attention so they get addressed. People focus on those because there is emotion associated with them but the real problem is the dozens of concussions these guys get from the smaller, repetitive hits. If you have two grown men colliding, there is bound to be an impact on the brain, even if its just OL hitting DL. They add up over time and are almost never diagnosed.

They are also the elephant in the room that the military won't address, blast induced brain trauma is the leading cause of injury in the middle east. Tons of those folks are coming back with brain trauma that was never appropriately addressed. They even give it a fancy name instead of saying concussion because of what the NFL is going through. It's a big reason we see the mental health issue's we have with vets. Concussion makes you much more vulnerable to mental illnesses, combine that with the stress of combat, being away from loved ones , seeing horrific things, very little support when they get home and you have a recipe for disaster. The NFL/football deserves all the flack it gets but idk why the military doesn't get more heat for this.

• Winner
Reactions: awd4cy

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I can’t find the link for this in Spotify or Apple podcasts. Can someone help me out?

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Jake Knott was a complete badass, had it not been for some pretty nasty injuries I think would have stuck longer in the nfl.

I thought when him and AJ Klein were sophomores that Jake was actually better than AJ at that point. But AJ did improve quite a bit as a junior and senior and the rest is history.

Jake is always going to be known as one of the best clone LB'ers ever. With a pretty bad defensive line, him and AJ covered up the holes for that whole defense.

AJ was bigger, which I think made him more durable. Completely healthy? I think Knott might have been better.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

Marchie is a WRNL member and podcast co-host.

Reactions: isutrevman

FatNTired

Jun 3, 2015
The hard hits aren't the problem, they are rare and they usually get a lot attention so they get addressed. People focus on those because there is emotion associated with them but the real problem is the dozens of concussions these guys get from the smaller, repetitive hits. If you have two grown men colliding, there is bound to be an impact on the brain, even if its just OL hitting DL. They add up over time and are almost never diagnosed.

They are also the elephant in the room that the military won't address, blast induced brain trauma is the leading cause of injury in the middle east. Tons of those folks are coming back with brain trauma that was never appropriately addressed. They even give it a fancy name instead of saying concussion because of what the NFL is going through. It's a big reason we see the mental health issue's we have with vets. Concussion makes you much more vulnerable to mental illnesses, combine that with the stress of combat, being away from loved ones , seeing horrific things, very little support when they get home and you have a recipe for disaster. The NFL/football deserves all the flack it gets but idk why the military doesn't get more heat for this.

The DOD and NCAA launched a project in 2014 to study concussions. Their efforts include establishing a baseline and visible symptoms for concussion injuries.

Reactions: heitclone