Jaden Walker in the portal

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneBamaFan

Nov 6, 2018
Not a good decision. Jaden is departing a top University with the opportunity to obtain a high-level degree, while getting some playing time and developing/playing in the Big 12, but will likely be going to a lower-tiered University, probably with more playing time, and limited to no exposure. Either way, what is his chances of playing professionally? Limited at best. If so, why transfer? I wish him the best of luck, but the transfer portal is allowing these kids to chase a dream or the "promise" of a better opportunity. I would like to see a study of numbers of athletes from football and basketball (both Women and Ment) that entered the transfer portal but did not find a landing spot.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Not a good decision. Jaden is departing a top University with the opportunity to obtain a high-level degree, while getting some playing time and developing/playing in the Big 12, but will likely be going to a lower-tiered University, probably with more playing time, and limited to no exposure. Either way, what is his chances of playing professionally? Limited at best. If so, why transfer? I wish him the best of luck, but the transfer portal is allowing these kids to chase a dream or the "promise" of a better opportunity. I would like to see a study of numbers of athletes from football and basketball (both Women and Ment) that entered the transfer portal but did not find a landing spot.

Probably wasn't fully Jaden's decision.

• Agree
Reactions: MiscRiot

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Have we now lost two entire recruiting classes in a row? I guess that's not surprising with a coaching change and the new transfer rules, but I'm not sure it's ever happened at ISU before.
Good luck, Jaden!
You must have forgotten the McDermott years. His real problem wasn't coaching, it was hanging on to players for whatever reason.

Reactions: TopCy

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
Pretty shortsighted take to think a school that is not P5 sports is not a 'high-level degree'. As you said, Jaden has little/no shot at going pro, maybe he can find another University where all that practice time can translate into some game-time, and maybe also be a better academic and/or cultural fit.

I follow the CAA because my daughter went to Drexel. While watching games this year I happened upon Darlingstone Dubar playing for Hofstra. I had completely forgot about him after only one year! He was like their 2nd leading scorer, and is going to a fairly highly rated university on Long Island while majoring in Finance (not much better place than NYC for that kind of major). Seems to be working out pretty well for him.

Nelcyn

Nov 29, 2012
Colorado
I don't know if we will ever know, but he may have been forced out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Probably transferring to play more.

Thinking a degree isn't high level if it's not at a bigger school is pretty ignorant from a few directions.

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA

Whether going pro or not, you have limited years of your life to play an organized sport at the competitive level. A degree from a top institution is increasingly unimportant for most job sectors. Pick up spot minutes for two more years at ISU, or get out there in front of a crowd at another school and play the game you love night in and night out?

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
Whether going pro or not, you have limited years of your life to play an organized sport at the competitive level. A degree from a top institution is increasingly unimportant for most job sectors. Pick up spot minutes for two more years at ISU, or get out there in front of a crowd at another school and play the game you love night in and night out?
Couldn't agree more. The biggest impact is on your first job after graduation but once you're established in a lot of career paths, your actual work will carry far more weight than whatever institution you got your degree from. Obviously there are outliers both in certain fields and universities, like getting a degree from an Ivy, but then that ends up being more that you're "in the circle" than anything tangible.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron