Jack Trice - Home vs. Visitor's Sidelines

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
Why is it, ISU picks the east side and has to stare into the sun. Even at Kinnick this weekend, our side line was forced to stare into the sun. Isn't that some sort of advantage that we should have at Jack Trice? I know we have always been on the east side line, but why?

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
It is because when the weather gets cold the sun tends to also have a warming effect. Meanwhile, our opponents stand in the shadows freezing their ***** off in the JTS wind tunnel.

redrocker

Sep 5, 2006
Ames - West-CY'd
It is because when the weather gets cold the sun tends to also have a warming effect. Meanwhile, our opponents stand in the shadows freezing their ***** off in the JTS wind tunnel.

Ok, I can understand that, and live with that as an acceptable answer. :rolleyes:

Unless you are just talking out of your ***

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I always thought that was the reason why also. On a cold day if it is sunny it is a huge difference. The other thing is that the TV cameras in the press box face our sideline, I don't know if that is part of it or not.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
We've talked about this before on here. Very few places are set up that way. The "warming effect" is an answer but I highly doubt that is THEE answer.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Will they switch it with the new locker rooms? If the current home lockerroom becomes the visitor (I thought I read that s somewhere), it makes even less sense for the teams to cross when entering and leaving the field.

Topshelf

Jan 31, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe because we used to walk out that side from the locker room. I know they walk out the middle now but maybe the tradition of it.

I'm going to have to keep an eye on this for other teams around the country. Good question.

Good answers for the press box view, sun on cold days.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I think I read somewhere or heard that we won't be changing sidelines. The cold weather thing makes sense, as does having our side opposite the press box.

Also, you'll notice that visiting teams at Jack Trice and at pretty much any stadium, the team on the press box sideline will stack players behind the benches when coaches are drawing on whiteboards to show players something. The extra players block the line of sight from coaches in the press box with binoculars who may be trying to get an edge. Some teams even go so far as to turn their benches around, allowing the coach to stand w/ his back to the press box and the players face him.

If you want a weird set-up, head on down to Oklahoma State. The field runs East-West and the visitors are on the North sideline.

Mowilly

May 21, 2008
Capp Timm Field
Why is it, ISU picks the east side and has to stare into the sun. Even at Kinnick this weekend, our side line was forced to stare into the sun. Isn't that some sort of advantage that we should have at Jack Trice? I know we have always been on the east side line, but why?

The official chain crew is on the west sideline. It is an advantage to be on the same sideline as the official chain. It will not change