It's Stanley Cup time: Need a hockey thread: Oilers vs Panthers

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Rooting for Florida. McDavid gets the press (and he’s amazing), but Matthew Tkachuk is a beast too. Also, Evander Kane for the Oilers is a tool bag.

Want to keep the cup on U.S. soil, and South Florida doesn’t usually support their pro sports teams that well, but they seem to love hockey down there (the Panthers and Lightning both have really great fan following for some reason).

Last edited:

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I miss hockey, used to watch a lot in the late 80s and 90s. It was all that ESPN had weeknights back then.

But got away from it with life and such. Think I will try to watch a couple of the Cup, it really IS the best.

And go Oilers! Is Jari Kurri still playing?

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I think this is the largest distance between cities in a Stanley Cup final.
I looked it up. It looks like that is roughly an 8 hour flight. That’s commercial, so charter is probably quicker. But, those will still be brutal travel days. Almost like going back and forth to Europe every couple days.

Reactions: cyclones500

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Both Florida and Tampa outdraw most teams north of them. Including Canadian teams.

Although I'd be happy to throw the Stars out of the league. Wife watches too many of those games. Such a mark for them

Bless her soul. NEXT year will be THE year.

Plus they **** with the Star Spangled Banner. Kick them out and take the goddam Cowboys while we're at it.

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Both Florida and Tampa outdraw most teams north of them. Including Canadian teams.
Yeah, there are a couple Canadian teams struggling. Winnipeg in particular. They keep trying to make hockey work in that town, but for whatever reason it just isn't a hockey town. But then you look at Montreal, who had a bad year, and they led the league in attendance. Maple Leaf fans are arguably the most die-hard fans in hockey.

There are a few southern hockey teams with a great hockey fanbase. Carolina also comes to mind. But some others really struggle (see the old Coyotes).

Edit: I liked the old Hartford Whalers before they moved to Carolina. They had the best goal horn. Then they would play brass bonanza. Classic...

Reactions: CycloneEggie

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Yeah, there are a couple Canadian teams struggling. Winnipeg in particular. They keep trying to make hockey work in that town, but for whatever reason it just isn't a hockey town. But then you look at Montreal, who had a bad year, and they led the league in attendance. Maple Leaf fans are arguably the most die-hard fans in hockey.

There are a few southern hockey teams with a great hockey fanbase. Carolina also comes to mind. But some others really struggle (see the old Coyotes).
Yep. Phoenix and Atlanta were abject failures. No idea why hockey works in Florida (given they aren’t rabid pro sports fans in general down there), but it does.

Some other unusual places that it works; Vegas and Nashville. But they’ve been successful franchises and have a bit of a novelty cause they’re relatively new.

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA

Edit: I liked the old Hartford Whalers before they moved to Carolina. They had the best goal horn. Then they would play brass bonanza. Classic...
The Whalers also had one of the best logos in all of sport:

1717605526686.png

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Yep. Phoenix and Atlanta were abject failures. No idea why hockey works in Florida (given they aren’t rabid pro sports fans in general down there), but it does.

Some other unusual places that it works; Vegas and Nashville. But they’ve been successful franchises and have a bit of a novelty cause they’re relatively new.
I recall Jai alai being quite popular in Florida. There are some similarities between the two sports, primarily the fast action and the speed of the ball/puck. Jai Alai really never took off across the country, so I think hockey was a natural move for these fans

No idea if that's the reason why hockey works in Florida, but it's just my guess

Cyclonsin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 4, 2020
Savannah, GA
I recall Jai alai being quite popular in Florida. There are some similarities between the two sports, primarily the fast action and the speed of the ball/puck. Jai Alai really never took off across the country, so I think hockey was a natural move for these fans

No idea if that's the reason why hockey works in Florida, but it's just my guess
I think a lot of the reason for hockey's popularity in the southeast is the violent nature of the sport. The folks down here love a good crash or fight about as much as they love the actual gameplay and it helps fill in the non-playing portion of the football calendar.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

Maybe it works because people like a nice cold place to cool off for a couple hours. I know that would be a big draw for me as I can't tolerate heat/humidity for very long. I'd probably be a season ticket holder if I lived in the area.

• Informative
Reactions: dafarmer

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I think a lot of the reason for hockey's popularity in the southeast is the violent nature of the sport. The folks down here love a good crash or fight about as much as they love the actual gameplay and it helps fill in the non-playing portion of the football calendar.
Going inside to a cold arena when it's 85 degrees and humid outside doesn't hurt either.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
In addition to hockey having remarkable success in places like Nashville, Carolina, Florida, Vegas, etc. I don't know why we haven't seen a pro hockey team in Wisconsin or Omaha just for an example. And collegiately doesn't it seem like hockey would be a natural fit for all of the state universities in Iowa? I dream of seeing Iowa State play in the NCAA Frozen 4. I used to attend a club match annually while I was college age (but not attending ISU) and always had a blast. Seems like hockey would be such a natural fit especially at ISU.

Reactions: fsanford

cyphoon

Sep 8, 2011
This final is too close to call. My heart is with the Oilers but those Panthers look awful good.

I enjoy watching Edmonton and McDavid, but I'm not sure they will get enough PP opportunities to win the series. They are not scoring much 5 on 5.

H

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron