It's great how the narrative changes after this weekend

tejasclone

Oct 20, 2006
Chicago, IL
Check me if I'm wrong Sandy but isn't it still a possibility to top that season?

It would take a nearly immaculate finish to top that year. If we win out the rest of the year (9 wins in regular season, 3 wins in Big 12 tournament, 6 wins in NCAAs), we'd finish 34-4, which is just 1.5 games better than our 32-5 record in 99-00.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
It would take a nearly immaculate finish to top that year. If we win out the rest of the year (9 wins in regular season, 3 wins in Big 12 tournament, 6 wins in NCAAs), we'd finish 34-4, which is just 1.5 games better than our 32-5 record in 99-00.
If we win 6 games in the NCAA tournament, whatever came before is insignificant, as would be the record of 1999-2000.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
We live in a world of overreactions. If Long misses that shot, many ISU fans are mailing it in stating that the team is doomed and headed for a free fall. Since they won, many ISU fans now proclaiming them on their way to winning out and getting a #1 seed. People lose their minds trying to predict the future. Projecting future results right after an exciting, huge win is like going to a bar, getting wasted and then trying to find your future spouse. Probably not a good idea.

Your whole post is a load of ****. Just go away.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
If we win 6 games in the NCAA tournament, whatever came before is insignificant, as would be the record of 1999-2000.

I guess that was my point, if you end up inside the final eight, the overall season record is an afterthought.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
I don't think Twocoach enjoyed our win as much as the KU win tonight

Don't take the fact that I disagree with some specific points made by some ISU fans here that I don't like and respect ISU basketball because I certainly do. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what Hoiberg is doing over there and really hope he builds ISU into a perennial contender. I would love to see the KU-ISU series grow into one of the best rivalries in the nation. Anything that puts KU on a national stage and has national announcers talking about them is a good thing. Plus, it's makes the games that much more interesting and fun to watch.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Don't take the fact that I disagree with some specific points made by some ISU fans here that I don't like and respect ISU basketball because I certainly do. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what Hoiberg is doing over there and really hope he builds ISU into a perennial contender. I would love to see the KU-ISU series grow into one of the best rivalries in the nation. Anything that puts KU on a national stage and has national announcers talking about them is a good thing. Plus, it's makes the games that much more interesting and fun to watch.

Thanks, twocoach. Just be careful what you wish for; you just might get it. :wink:

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe

My spidey-sense says that, like most J-Hawk fans, you would enjoy this only as long as KU was consistently winning these games.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Thanks, twocoach. Just be careful what you wish for; you just might get it. :wink:

I think the emergence of a true rivalry with KU-ISU hoops would be great for both schools and for the league. While the Big 12 has some great basketball being played, it really lacks for rivalries. This seems like the most likely match-up to become the game that the national media circles in conference play every year before the season starts. We have a long history together, which is becoming less common in the era of realignment. We both have great home courts, which is also something hard to find in this league. And we tend to play close, competitive games every time out. I think the keys to pushing this over the top would be CFH keeping us in the top 25 consistently for a couple of seasons, and for the team to finally get over the hump and win a few of these games.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I think the emergence of a true rivalry with KU-ISU hoops would be great for both schools and for the league. While the Big 12 has some great basketball being played, it really lacks for rivalries. This seems like the most likely match-up to become the game that the national media circles in conference play every year before the season starts. We have a long history together, which is becoming less common in the era of realignment. We both have great home courts, which is also something hard to find in this league. And we tend to play close, competitive games every time out. I think the keys to pushing this over the top would be CFH keeping us in the top 25 consistently for a couple of seasons, and for the team to finally get over the hump and win a few of these games.

While ISU's record at PA isn't stellar please note that no one has gone in there and won more than ISU during all of Big 12 play. At one time ISU had about as many wins there as the rest of the league combined. I doubt if that is still true, however.

In short, I agree. The seeds for this to be the basketball rivalry in the Big 12 have certainly been sown. ISU just needs to step up now so that history becomes more relevant to today.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We live in a world of overreactions. If Long misses that shot, many ISU fans are mailing it in stating that the team is doomed and headed for a free fall. Since they won, many ISU fans now proclaiming them on their way to winning out and getting a #1 seed. People lose their minds trying to predict the future. Projecting future results right after an exciting, huge win is like going to a bar, getting wasted and then trying to find your future spouse. Probably not a good idea.

Not necessarily true. Before monday's game a plenty of people were predicting a loss to OSU but then predicting winning most if not all of our remaining games just due to how much our SOS drops off in the second half of the season. If we'd lost close to OSU i dont know if that really changes all that much.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
My spidey-sense says that, like most J-Hawk fans, you would enjoy this only as long as KU was consistently winning these games.

If Kansas is good and ISU is still able to beat them by playing better then I have no problem with it at all. The best part of the Duke/Carolina rivalry is that usually one or both are in the Top 10 when they play. It just means that more is on the line when they play. I would LOVE for that to be the case for KU/ISU moving forward. A few losses doesn't change that for me.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha

I hope I do.

I would rather see KU be a part of a great rivalry where they are playing, and occasionally losing to, another elite Top 10 team than regularly beat a borderline Top 25 team. There is a reason why every Kansas game on the road is a sell out; because everyone wants to see their team go up against an elite team and possibly beat them. KU fans want the same thing.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
Jay Mohr has this irrational crush on all things Iowa State. While totally awesome, there is no logical reason why he loves us so much and is always giving us props on air.

There was never supposed to be anything rational about fanaticism. You could look it up.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I was just with Jay Mohr last Tuesday night! No lie. We talked at length about his mad-love for the Cyclones and Paul Rhoads. He actually does a great impression of CPR and the "So Proud"-thing, although he kinda wears it out after a few minutes. "I am so proud to drink this scotch!" "You don't just throw your arm around a guy, and hit on his girlfriend!"

View attachment 24688

So are you the weird looking guy on the right or the weird looking guy on the left? Just kidding.

I did think it was funny, though, that going into the OSU game all the pundits chose to say "ISU has lost 4 of the last 6" rather than the equally accurate "ISU has won 2 of the last 3" cause it fit their both teams are on a slide narrative.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Bot statements are accurate, but only one is true, if that makes any sense. Viewing the team's play objectively, there is a huge difference between the the play of the team that lost to KU in Ames and the one that beat OSU on Big Monday. Even the game in Lawrence showed, I think, that ISU had turned it around.

jahfg

Apr 19, 2006
Ames
It was frustrating listening to the pundits write us off or in most cases, completely forget about us. The ESPN CBB homepage on Monday talked about how OSU and ISU both had issues/were reeling. The closest we came to reeling is Niang's 0-9 against KU at home. Otherwise, we were losing on the road or to the team most of those pundits were picking for the Final Four.

Most of the pundits don't know that our style is different this season, that Melvin Ejim could be the best player in the Big 12, or that we had the toughest front half of the Big 12 schedule. Now they will be all over our jock when we beat the TCU and Texas Tech.