"It's good for the state!"

ClonerJams

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2022
I know a lot of Hawk fans that were enjoying Purdy's success.
I think when you get off of the message boards and social media, there are probably more crossover fans than people realize. Not a huge number, but they do exist.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That's the point. Get outside of the bubble and it's not exactly a hot topic.

When I've been back in eastern Iowa though yeah it's rampant. But that's an area with people that wave at the TV during their 'great tradition' so it's not to be taken seriously.

Some of us live here, so we have to listen to it. And have you been back to the state in the last 2 weeks?

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Clark is a multi-generational talent that is an exceptional opportunity for women’s basketball to promote the sport at the professional level. I’ve caught enough of her regular season games to note that she has toned down her negative reactions to officiating during the tournament and the prime time national tv exposure. Her handlers are giving her good advice. If she has a third game in a row with similar production and takes Iowa along with her, it’s all about Caitlin. I don’t think it does anything for any State schools, the State of Iowa or any other individuals. Her teammates are quoted about how grateful they are to be on the bus. If she wins the next game, the NIL endorsement deals will set records for a college female.

• Agree
Reactions: cyputz

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Some of us live here, so we have to listen to it. And have you been back to the state in the last 2 weeks?

No. Was back in early March when the B1G tournament was going on.

Had someone tell me after Clark got T'd up that she knew more than the refs.

I've been back during their 'historic' football seasons and Turkey day when the 'big' Nebraska game was on and know all about how insular people are. I get weird looks when someone asks me about an Iowa player and I respond that I've never heard of them.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Ask yourself if Iowa fans think that ISU in a Fiesta Bowl, or Sweet Sixteen, or Brock Purdy's success, is "good for the state" and you'll have your answer.
I had these same friends telling me to "be happy for the state " actively rooting for Purdy to fail. They didn't rub it in when he got hurt at least.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
You don’t live here. It’s a lot.
This. I'd say a large majority of my FB friends are Iowa residents or natives, and I've had people commenting or sharing about Iowa WBB that I know for a fact didn't give a flying f about Iowa WBB or the sport in general, men's or women's, had you asked them a month ago. I get that this is how viral sensations get their wings, but as someone else said, it is very nauseating.

My sister in law is a prime example. Life long hawk fan. For Christmas this past year, I got her a Caitlin Clark coffee mug. When she opened it, her expression looked bewildered and she admitted she had no idea who Caitlin Clark was, nor did she watch or follow the women's program. But of course she is sharing her praises on social media right now...

And no, no way in hell are hawk fans or even neutral fans this excited if this were happening with Iowa State right now and the shoe was on the other foot.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Let's be honest, ISU fans are never going to think this is a good thing. Hok fans would feel the same way if the situation was reversed.
Hard disagree here. You should read my Twitter timeline. Lots of Cyclone fans embarrassing themselves out there. The desire to be liked by strangers on the internet is powerful.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
It negatively impacts recruiting more than it "helps the state." This exposure is worth millions for Iowa and it will be real thing in recruiting, especially when head-to-head versus Iowa State (which happens way more than MBB). This is not good for Iowa State WBB.
This is 100% correct.

There is literally no positive connection, correlation, or meaningful “good” ancillary impact to Iowa State as a university or an athletic program when iowa has success. It’s GREAT for them. It is NOT good for Iowa State.

Judging by all the social media reaction from supposed Iowa State fans, this journey has further cemented us as lovable loser little brother.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
I live in Texas, I had no idea they were in the final four until yesterday.

• Agree
Reactions: Candide

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
One thing that I am always amazed by is how good HS girls basketball has gotten in Iowa. Clark’s Dowling team didn’t get to the Well her senior year.

• Agree
Reactions: tigershoops31

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Hard disagree here. You should read my Twitter timeline. Lots of Cyclone fans embarrassing themselves out there. The desire to be liked by strangers on the internet is powerful.
Yep it’s hardcore on social media. It’s really embarrassing for Iowa State.

Good for the STATE! Lol goodness that is hilarious.
Reminds me of that heartwarming national news story in 2000 when a legendary/all-time great Michigan State squad won the Natty in basketball, and then Spartan fans AND Wolverine fans celebrated together, arms together, in the streets, in full perfect harmony. 1 state; 1 people!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
This whole run just proves ISU can't have nice things. Oh well it's been that way for a long time.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
Iowa being good in any spot makes it harder for us and vice-versa. We're both fighting over a limited fan supply in the state and a very limited number of in-state athletes.

Can anyone imagine Auburn or Alabama fans rooting for the other school? Texas or Texas A&M? Florida or Florida State?

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I stay off social media. It's a waste of time.
Clearly this is a hot topic in the state of iowa right now. This will pass with a little time. ISU will be just fine.

Help Support Us

Become a patron