"It's good for the state!"

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I've been told this by several hawk fan friends I have after the Iowa women's final 4 win moments ago. Can someone please explain this logic to me?

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
I've been told this by several hawk fan friends I have after the Iowa women's final 4 win moments ago. Can someone please explain this logic to me?
I want all of the Iowa schools to do well when they aren't playing Iowa, and I had the ISU women in my Elite 8. That said, I would never tell an ISU fan that they should be happy that Iowa is succeeding because it's "good for the state". In this particular case, what Clark is doing for WBB as a whole is amazing, but if a rival fan still wants her to fail, I have no issue with that. Honestly, getting to the point where the rivalry matters more than the good she does for the game would be a profound statement on just how much progress has been made because fans are that passionate about WBB. She doesn't have to be bulletproof from rivalry hate.

jakemcilroy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 26, 2006
It negatively impacts recruiting more than it "helps the state." This exposure is worth millions for Iowa and it will be real thing in recruiting, especially when head-to-head versus Iowa State (which happens way more than MBB). This is not good for Iowa State WBB.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Iowa WBB has a lot of negative headwind to overcome when it comes to the overall hok athletic program. They are the only real bright spot for their fans to grasp onto right now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I mean no disrespect by this but I am not enough of a women’s basketball fan to be jealous or anything. I’m happy for my friends that are having a good time with it.

It’s like when they have an awesome wrestling season, I can’t get bent out of shape about something I don’t totally care about. I watched the second half yesterday but I sent and saw John Wick 4 before that and it was outstanding.

• Agree
Reactions: CoKane

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
Ask yourself if Iowa fans think that ISU in a Fiesta Bowl, or Sweet Sixteen, or Brock Purdy's success, is "good for the state" and you'll have your answer.

I know a lot of Hawk fans that were enjoying Purdy's success.

packattack425

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2010
Des Moines
The only benefit for the state (which I think is a stretch) I can see is this…

Iowa’s run sparks interest in women’s basketball. Iowa produces better high schoolers due to new interest. Iowa state is able to recruit some of that in state talent.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer