It's all recruiting

woodie

Apr 10, 2006
from reading this blog i get two reads.
1.mcdermott can't recruit.
2.mcdermott can't coach.

if you have have a gomer for a coach that can't get the job donedone:
bottom line:fire the dumb arse pollard.
pollard if you can't make a simple decision,geoffroy needs to get rid of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
from reading this blog i get two reads.
1.mcdermott can't recruit.
2.mcdermott can't coach.

if you have have a gomer for a coach that can't get the job donedone:
bottom line:fire the dumb arse pollard.
pollard if you can't make a simple decision,geoffroy needs to get rid of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And it all comes out. I agree. If a change is not made.....there will be MANY Alums/fans calling for JP's head as well. ISU Basketball was the life-blood of ISU athletics in the 80s-90s....and up until early 2000s. We need it to be healthy again. And the guy we have now.....is driving it into the ground.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
if you google darrin horn and contract you'll discover in about 10 seconds that's a pipe dream. the guy just signed an extension in December, making 1.1M per year with 100k raises annually and a 2.5M buyout. gee, we only need 2.5M to buyout Gmac and then 2.5M to buyout Darrin Horn.....that'll happen.

4429 mcc

Aug 29, 2007
Wall Street
if you google darrin horn and contract you'll discover in about 10 seconds that's a pipe dream. the guy just signed an extension in December, making 1.1M per year with 100k raises annually and a 2.5M buyout. gee, we only need 2.5M to buyout Gmac and then 2.5M to buyout Darrin Horn.....that'll happen.

Thanks for the info I'll scratch this one of the list Jamie. Keep grinding.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
We have the players. Two of them are NBA caliber, at least second round. There is no reason why this team should not have been able to win at least 20. When rebounding and defense are not coached, you have what we watched again last night.
I know McD is not going anywhere, but how did he ever get an extension?

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
Regarding our "talent," particularly in the backcourt, here's how we stack up against the rest of the big12.

There are four teams with at least TWO McD's AA in the guard court: KU, TX, OU and BAY. In total, there are NINE McDs AA's guards in the big12 (James Anderson of OSU the last one).

IMHO, there are 7 guards who are likely NBA draftees: Collins, Henry, Taylor (KU), Anderson (OSU), Warren, TMG (OU), and Bradley (TX).

(Ironic that OU has two NBA draft picks in the guard court and they won't make the tourney.)

Look at how good the guards are on teams who weren't McD's AA or likely NBA picks:
Mizz: Tiller, English, Taylor, Denmon, Dixon (Elite eight last year)
A&M: Sloan, Holmes, Roland, Harris (Roland out, but 4 straight ncaa's)
KSU: Pullen, Clemente, McGruder (are there two better than pullen and clemente?)

And lastly, both TTech and CU have PGs that could go off for 25+ any night (Roberson and Higgins).

Sure, we have "talent." But in today's big12, we still have a long way to go.

We have two "NBA" type talent guys and we're awful...

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
We have the players. Two of them are NBA caliber, at least second round. There is no reason why this team should not have been able to win at least 20. When rebounding and defense are not coached, you have what we watched again last night.

You cannot be serious. Last night we held a team that averages 81 points a game and plays up-tempo with only 6 players (7 if you include Dorr's 1 minute or so). way under their average and were basically even in the rebounding department. We've been rebounding very well the last several games.

I do agree with you a little bit. Our FRONT LINE is good enough to win with, but our guard play is not.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina

I said this last night, and I'll say it again... I don't think either are really NBA type talents... they don't DEMAND the ball in pressure situations, they don't create shots for themselves, they don't dominate when needed... I don't recruit for the NBA, but I don't think they're NBA talents... a least not good ones...

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
We're getting out-athleted by nearly all of the B12. aTm, Baylor, K-State and Tech used to be our whipping boys but that's all changed. Those rosters are no longer filled with bad players.

Our guys would be in the top half of the big12 easily with this roster 4 or 5 season ago when the above teams had 1/3 the talent they do now.
How's this for something to consider. We got one heck of a point guard when we got Tinsley. We owned the conference. Other coaches followed suit and got the best point guards that they could get and they are still getting them. We became the victim of our own success.

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
How's this for something to consider. We got one heck of a point guard when we got Tinsley. We owned the conference. Other coaches followed suit and got the best point guards that they could get and they are still getting them. We became the victim of our own success.

Except for the fact that it should be common knowledge to anyone involved with basketball that you need good point guard play to succeed in college basketball. Just like you need good QB play to succeed in college football.

hawker4life

Feb 11, 2010
Jayhawk fan, not Hawkeye fan here. I'm going to do somthing I never thought I would do. Architect wrote about traditionally bad teams and I noticed that KSU was in that post. I hate to say it but from about 1945 to about 1990, KSU had more conference titles than we did and I believe dad said they even went to more NCAA tourneys than we did but I didn't verify that. He really misses the old days when this was a great rivaly. I do know they have been to four final fours and one championship game. I'm really not here to start trouble but to lump KSU with BU, TXTCH and CU along with some others is not accurate. Again, sorry if I overstepped my bounds but I guess I'm one of those that sticks up for the schools in Kansas. Anyway, good luck the rest of the season.

Reactions: The_Architect

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Jayhawk fan, not Hawkeye fan here. I'm going to do somthing I never thought I would do. Architect wrote about traditionally bad teams and I noticed that KSU was in that post. I hate to say it but from about 1945 to about 1990, KSU had more conference titles than we did and I believe dad said they even went to more NCAA tourneys than we did but I didn't verify that. He really misses the old days when this was a great rivaly. I do know they have been to four final fours and one championship game. I'm really not here to start trouble but to lump KSU with BU, TXTCH and CU along with some others is not accurate. Again, sorry if I overstepped my bounds but I guess I'm one of those that sticks up for the schools in Kansas. Anyway, good luck the rest of the season.

Thanks for the info. I was mostly referring to the time since the formation of the B12. KSU was pretty bad until recently.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I really think our barely average guard play is hurting us and making our offense look pathetic.

Out of curiousity what type/caliber guard did mac have at uni during NCAA runs? Was it that Mckowen kid? How did he finish with any rewards or anything? I'm really starting to fall to the side if blaming never having a high caliber guard as macs downfall. He had one briefly but that loss was very costly. Stupid cough syrup.

Clonegrad07

Jul 22, 2008
North Carolina
I really think our barely average guard play is hurting us and making our offense look pathetic.

Out of curiousity what type/caliber guard did mac have at uni during NCAA runs? Was it that Mckowen kid? How did he finish with any rewards or anything? I'm really starting to fall to the side if blaming never having a high caliber guard as macs downfall. He had one briefly but that loss was very costly. Stupid cough syrup.

His last good combo of guards were Ben Jacobson, Erik Crawford and Brooks McKowen. All very respectable D-I ball players.

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
Hopefully between getting Phillips on campus and Colvin improving we'll have a decent guard court next year. I've heard and read that Phillips brings a lot of toughness, and as far as I'm concerned, Colvin is one of the toughest guys on our team this year.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I hate to say next year but I think we have to pin our hopes on our incoming guard and Colvin.

I'm not saying they will be the answer...just that they HAVE to be the answer.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron