It’s time we talk about Gabe

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
loved when the announcer said tonight's winner would have 'sole' possession of first place in the big 12. Well....uh, we had to win to make both our records 6-2. lol.
Technically it’s true if you count tie breakers.

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Idk about way above. They are kind of similar. Just bulldogs on defense and were all around great players. Babb was such a boss. Gabe is above him, but not in a different stratosphere.

I'd put Gabe a stratosphere above based on ability and his consistency in Big 12 play. Babb didn't have near the offensive talent or versatility Gabe does. Babb really didn't create his own shot while Gabe, when on, can do it all.

Reactions: isutrevman

bizzle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 14, 2006
NY, NY
Great to see Gabe killing it offensively this year in addition to the amazing defense played every moment he's been in Ames.

I've been a hardcore Gabe supporter because he seems to be a very good person, who is active in the community, who always gives his best on the court. He obviously struggled at times offensively last season--although that was often because he had to force things as a 2nd option in an offense that only had one real option--and was clearly in his head about it. I thought it was very "interesting" that a very vocal minority on here and elsewhere online thought the solution to a player having some issues mentally was to personally abuse him. There's a pretty big difference between missing shots and not trying. I wish as Iowa State fans we were a little slower to get on a player who is trying hard but doesn't have it that night but that is the nature of online fan commentary, I suppose.

Go Cyclones!

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
If Gabe keeps this up he is truly deserving of being an All-American. The ability has always been there but the consistency was lacking. He's been in beast mode since the beginning of conference play. And that conference also happens to be the best one in America.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I don't forget at all. Right now you can make a strong case that Gabe is the best player on the team and probably worthy of first team all conference consideration at this point. Could you ever say that about Babb?

I mean Babb was first team all Defense

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I mean Babb was first team all Defense
Yep, Babb was a damn good defender and had some good scoring games.

But there’s a world of difference. Babb was the “we need a third guy to have a big scoring game” guy. On 8-10 seed level teams. This year Gabe has been the most consistent offensive player on a team that if the tourney started today would probably be a 2 seed.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009

This is insane.
I was pretty salty after the iowa game and said "gabe is what he is" -meaning a great defender who was a liability on offense but would have a couple randomly great shooting nights.
Since then, he has pretty much been non-randomly great EVERY game in conference, as the stats show.
Whatever he did to make that happen (red bull, meditation, kaballah, different brand of underwear, idk) is probably the MVP for this team. Turning those bad shots and turnovers into efficient ppg is absolutley what has made this team a contender.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Gabe is an assassin. He’s stays calm at all times and I’ve noticed this year he definitely knows how to talk a lil smack on the court.

Reactions: BACyclone

ZRF

Jan 3, 2015
Gabe should probably be the front runner for POY in the conference. A top 5 offensive guy and probably the best defensive wing.

He will get some consideration, but it's hard to see anyone but Nowell winning it. Averaging north of 20 points and 8 + assists per game is eye popping. It would be hard for anyone to overcome that. Then you have Wilson and Mike Miles who have also stood out in league play.

Even first team all-conference is tough when looking at the guards. If you consider Miles, Gabe, Nowell, and Wilson to be locks that leaves off a ton of other good guards and wings. There's ****, Baylor's guards, Johnson from KSU, and Carr from Texas. Lots of REALLY good players will be left off teams this year. Conference is just so deep on the perimeter.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
A Kansas State fan and friend of mine hates Gabe Kalscheur. Says he has the most punchable face in all of sports, but I think he is just jelly of Gabe’s drip & swagger.

He is a cake eater…all those cake eaters have punchable faces. Minnesota/Mighty Duck people, you know what I’m talking about.

• Haha
  • Funny
Reactions: Bewilderme and legi

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A Kansas State fan and friend of mine hates Gabe Kalscheur. Says he has the most punchable face in all of sports, but I think he is just jelly of Gabe’s drip & swagger.
When other fanbases hate a given player, said player's doing something right.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Gabe should probably be the front runner for POY in the conference. A top 5 offensive guy and probably the best defensive wing.
Agree....and you know coaches know/see that (as they scout against and see how he shuts down their top players).

When Ejim got it, i was so happy as he wasn't necessarily the "mold" of POY (as usually it's a dominant offensive person, etc).

I think what is so neat to see with Gabe is how it seems he is confident in his ability on the court and doing so in a very even keeled way. Also have noticed when there may be an error or an off shot he doesn't seem to react negatively (where last year it seemed one bad lead to several minutes of visual attitude change).

cyco2000

Nov 5, 2007
Never so glad to be wrong about someone (on the offensive side of the court). I've switched from "Noooo!" every time Gabe takes a three to now asking why he isn't chucking up 30 shots a game.

Fandom is weird.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron