It’s a good day if you’re a Nebraska fan...

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
While every team is eligible, there are only about 39 bowl games so your teams like Rutgers and Kansas will likely not be playing in a bowl.

Is everyone 'eligible' like on stand by if a team has to skip out due to Covid?

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
Is everyone 'eligible' like on stand by if a team has to skip out due to Covid?
Yeah I would assume so. 2020 baby
200.gif

• Funny
Reactions: madguy30

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
On one hand, bowls are private organizations, so they can somewhat do what they want.

But one of the main purposes of a bowl game is local economic return. If you don’t have many fans, not sure how the cost/benefit could work out. I guess the key is whether their corporate sponsors still back them.

Looking at Nebby’s schedule, I am guessing 3-5. I would love to see them go to a bowl game. Lol.

The hard part is most bowl games lose money or break even in the best of years so if there is little travel, I would anticipate most just close down.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
I predict riots in Omaha if Nebraska does not get into a bowl game......

.....I predict riots in Omaha if Nebraska does get into a bowl game.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby and Lineup

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
On one hand, bowls are private organizations, so they can somewhat do what they want.

But one of the main purposes of a bowl game is local economic return. If you don’t have many fans, not sure how the cost/benefit could work out. I guess the key is whether their corporate sponsors still back them.

Looking at Nebby’s schedule, I am guessing 3-5. I would love to see them go to a bowl game. Lol.

Well now, lets look at the bright side...This gives the MIGHTY HUSKERS One more chance to LOSE ANOTHER FOOTBALL GAME!

Reactions: Lineup

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
When is it ever a good day to be a Nebraska fan?

It’s like saying that any day is a good day to move to Antarctica.

Or the fiery, burning pits of Hell.

• Haha
Reactions: CyBobby

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I’m sure I’ll get downvoted for saying it, but it’s highly unlikely there will be bowl games. I could see the playoffs happening in a bubble due to the money involved, but I don’t see the rest of the bowls happening when looking at the projections.
Agree. I think the best case scenario is to just try to match teams up regionally

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
The crazy thing is, the way the Big 10 is set up, you have no idea what is going to happen. What happens if tOSU has a covid breakout before their game and has just enough guys to play? With them starting so late and having no byes to make up games, there will be more pressure for them to play with depleted teams. Nebraska could end up going 3 and 2 with 3 games cancelled too. Don't know how any of that works for bowl games, since the B10 will be playing conference games in late December. Is that a B10 championship game? Is it on New Years?

• Agree

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The hard part is most bowl games lose money or break even in the best of years so if there is little travel, I would anticipate most just close down.
The Bowls don’t exist to make money. They exist to bring tourist dollars into the host city. ESPN and the sponsor just subsidize the process.

• Winner

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The Bowls don’t exist to make money. They exist to bring tourist dollars into the host city. ESPN and the sponsor just subsidize the process.

YOU ARE SOOO RIGHT! In 1977 we went to the Peach Bowl in Atlanta,GA and the people of Atlanta loved that 24,000 Cyclone fans came. Before we left most every fan got a bunch of two dollar bills to spend at the Peach Bowl and Atlanta.

After the game since it was New Years Eve we went out at this restaurant/ bar and this Lady of the Night approached me and said.."I see your not from here, I could sure show you a good time." I declined here offer of course.

And remember GO CYCLONES and beat the Cowpokes!

Reactions: Aclone

stateofmind

Jul 16, 2007
Ankeny
Not sure how bowl execs/host cities could justify the money for bowls with so few fans. BUT, if 15,000 fans were allowed it might be a normal crowd for many bowls.

Plus, if Iowa is a “hotspot” maybe we wouldn’t get an invite.

• Informative

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Not sure how bowl execs/host cities could justify the money for bowls with so few fans. BUT, if 15,000 fans were allowed it might be a normal crowd for many bowls.

Plus, if Iowa is a “hotspot” maybe we wouldn’t get an invite.

Maybe looking at the ISU/Iowa game taking place since there's less travel?

Someone else mentioned regional matchups...maybe more back to some of the border rivalries like Neb/CU, Mizzou/KU.

Reactions: stateofmind