ISU's Road to the Dance

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
A little pre-conference first look at this. Last year's team wasn't solidly in until the Baylor win, and that was the 6th top 100 win of the season (and second top 10). Regardless I think a good measure is top 100 wins and 100+ losses. Last year's team had 2 100+ losses: Drake early, and OSU on the road (which I don't think was too much of a black eye in the eyes of the committee).

So far we have 2 top 100 wins: BYU (top 50, might remain there) and Florida Gulf Coast (unlikely to remain in top 100.)

I think we'll need at least 5 wins to secure a tourney spot and no more than 1 100+ loss. Obviously no bad losses and a good road win could really lock it up.

We have 10 games currently with the RPI top 100. I think WVU will get back there so it will likely be 12, although another team might drop out and some will be pretty close to 100. Any losses to TT or TCU will be real killers (RPI 200+) Basically we have 5 homers with top 100 teams and five roadies likely for sure, probably 6. Doubt we win all the home games, so we'll need to pick up one on the road @KU, @KSU, @OSU, @BU, @WVU, or @OU.

Couple of surprises. OU has a tasty RPI of 19 currently. Won't stay that high but that's a nice boon for the conference as they are beatable. All of the 5 teams I listed are in the top 50 which is good.

We'll need to play some good basketball against some good teams over the coming months. Our current RPI is 61 but a couple of those big wins and limiting losses to only splitting with UT and WVU, and sweeping TCU and TT, puts us at 6 wins already. If we can go 5-7 against the remaining that's 11-7 with 6 or 7 pretty good wins. Love to get a roadie. I think that's our path and I don't see this team as any more than a bubble team.

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Win the conference. Team will come to play in conference and after tonight could see it happen. 13-3 might do it

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Win the conference. Team will come to play in conference and after tonight could see it happen. 13-3 might do it
If we play like we did tonight, we have a chance of being pretty good this year. Protect home court and win where we should on the road and we'll be dancing.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
Win tonight would have almost sealed it assuming you go atleast .500 in confrence. Devasting loss.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
If we play like we did tonight, we have a chance of being pretty good this year. Protect home court and win where we should on the road and we'll be dancing.

If we play all season like we played tonight the question isn't if we get in, it's how long we stay in.

Final42b

Jan 4, 2009
Ames
If you think a loss at home to KU in OT is devastating, you must not watch a lot of basketball...

Obviously not a devasting loss in terms of tournament profile, just devasting for what it could have done for us. Hopefully the guys use it as motivation and go on an *** kicking spree.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Booker should move his feet more and not take the foul. Tyrus and BNabb should shoot more. Will needs to take betgter shots. Need more Niang. KL looks like he got the message. ME needs to be ME. Gibson might want to try to pass twice a game.

Last edited: