ISU XC women ranked #1 nationally

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

IsUaClone2

May 12, 2006
Northville, MI
If I recall l correctly, I think the women's, and maybe even the men's, were national champions in cross country back in the 70's (maybe early 80's). Unfortunately the women's team was killed in a plane crash returning from a competition.

Kitkat

Apr 10, 2009
I believe that the men's gymnastics team won two national championships in the early 70s--maybe in 71 & 74?

Cypwr

Mar 18, 2006
Ameskeny
If I recall l correctly, I think the women's, and maybe even the men's, were national champions in cross country back in the 70's (maybe early 80's). Unfortunately the women's team was killed in a plane crash returning from a competition.

Remember it well it was 1985 and ISU was the Runner-up.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle

I wish this was a little more well known around campus. I remember seeing a memorial on the xc course when I used to run there during college. This would be the 20th anniversary of that happening right? Be nice if they could do something at a football game for it.

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
I wish this was a little more well known around campus. I remember seeing a memorial on the xc course when I used to run there during college. This would be the 20th anniversary of that happening right? Be nice if they could do something at a football game for it.

I agree. I was on campus from 92-96 and never heard about the fatal crash until this thread.

drlove

Mar 20, 2007

IMO, that team should be inducted into the Iowa State University Sports Hall of Fame.

Land Shark

Apr 6, 2006
IMO, that team should be inducted into the Iowa State University Sports Hall of Fame.

1000% agree with this! That team was just hours removed from an NCAA Runner-Up finish when the crash happened. I still run by the the crash site (In the DSM Waterbury/Country Club area) nearly every day and often think about it. It would be a wonderful year to recognize that group again (they have been several times at various meets and events). Even a brief ceremony at half-time of a football game in October or November (which is the month that group perished)

Several team members, support staff, the coaches (and Coach Renko and Coach Monihan (sp) were special coaches) and the pilot perished that evening. I used to be friends with a team member who switched planes several minutes prior to taking off at the request of one of the victims. It was not as dramatic as physically switching planes- it was just more of a discussion outside the aircraft of who was getting on what ride. She was originally set to fly on the aircraft that did not return.

The program had some wonderful individual performers in following years but never really got back on its feet until Coach Ihmels took over nearly 20 years later.

As for top ranked teams at ISU- I believe Cael had the last one when the wrestlers were #1 in his second year after defeating the Gophers up there. We lost to Iowa the following week and lost our top ranking.

Coach Bergan had the men's XC team on top and near the top pretty much every year from 1985-1994. Winning several NCAA Crowns and finishing runner-up several times as well. ISU, Wisconsin and Arkansas were really the premier programs nationally at the time. Ed Gagnier pretty much ruled the gymnastics world in the 1970's and early 1980's.

How cool would it be for the men's hoops team to get to the top spot in the polls this year? Unlikely, but it has also never been more likely to occur.

Go Cyclones!!

Last edited:

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
1000% agree with this! That team was just hours removed from an NCAA Runner-Up finish when the crash happened. I still run by the the crash site (In the DSM Waterbury/Country Club area) nearly every day and often think about it. It would be a wonderful year to recognize that group again (they have been several times at various meets and events). Even a brief ceremony at half-time of a football game in October or November (which is the month that group perished)

Several team members, support staff, the coaches (and Coach Renko and Coach Monihan (sp) were special coaches) and the pilot perished that evening. I used to be friends with a team member who switched planes several minutes prior to taking off at the request of one of the victims. It was not as dramatic as physically switching planes- it was just more of a discussion outside the aircraft of who was getting on what ride. She was originally set to fly on the aircraft that did not return.

The program had some wonderful individual performers in following years but never really got back on its feet until Coach Ihmels took over nearly 20 years later.

As for top ranked teams at ISU- I believe Cael had the last one when the wrestlers were #1 in his second year after defeating the Gophers up there. We lost to Iowa the following week and lost our top ranking.

Coach Bergan had the men's XC team on top and near the top pretty much every year from 1985-1994. Winning several NCAA Crowns and finishing runner-up several times as well. ISU, Wisconsin and Arkansas were really the premier programs nationally at the time. Ed Gagnier pretty much ruled the gymnastics world in the 1970's and early 1980's.

How cool would it be for the men's hoops team to get to the top spot in the polls this year? Unlikely, but it has also never been more likely to occur.

Go Cyclones!!

It's not impossible. If we don't lose for awhile and the few teams ahead have early losses...could sneak up to #1.

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Women have been on course for this, the men have made huge move up this year also. I agree, recognizing the past is not only noble, but inspirational for this team just before NCAA.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011