ISU Will Need To Watch Boise Game Film to Prepare for Texas

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Really interesting article on the changes that Texas is making in their offense. With the hiring of the Boise State offensive coordinator they are installing the BSU offense and moving away from the the Texas spread. Great insights and really good read. Hope are coaches are studying a lot of BSU game film, cause that is what we will face early in the Big 12 season when we go for 2 in a row vs. Texas.

Quad Q&A: Texas Coach Mack Brown - NYTimes.com

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
That'd be all fine and dandy but...

Why wouldn't we just watch the first few games Texas plays instead? They don't open the season against us so we can see what they do in non-con games.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
That'd be all fine and dandy but...

Why wouldn't we just watch the first few games Texas plays instead? They don't open the season against us so we can see what they do in non-con games.

Do you think they will show everything they have in those first 3 non conference games?

geburgess

Jan 19, 2010
WDM, IA
Question is, how much more than that are they going to show in the first conference game against "lowly" Iowa State?

I'd be willing to be they show a lot, seeing how they need to avenge last season.

Point I'm trying to make is that, while we can watch Boise video from last year, don't expect the exact same thing. We probably won't see the full playbook when we play Texas simply because not everything will be installed by then. Watching that film won't hurt, but I don't see it helping too much either.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
I'd be willing to be they show a lot, seeing how they need to avenge last season.

Point I'm trying to make is that, while we can watch Boise video from last year, don't expect the exact same thing. We probably won't see the full playbook when we play Texas simply because not everything will be installed by then. Watching that film won't hurt, but I don't see it helping too much either.

What your missing is there are more hours of opponent film study by most coaching staffs in the offseason than during game week prep. The shell of the game plan really begins to come together in offseason and then is adjusted, built upon, details filled in, etc. during the season.

Hence my comment the our defensive coaches will be watching a lot of games on blue turf.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Do you think they will show everything they have in those first 3 non conference games?
Those three games are against Rice, BYU and (at) UCLA. It's arguable whether they will have their entire offense in by then. I have a strange suspicion that they may simply be relying on their freshman uber-back for offense on the ground at that time.

JCloned

Mar 20, 2006
Other thing that was interesting to me was the comments on looking for big strike plays. I think the quote was something to the effect that if I am going to work on something I would rather it be something that can go for a touchdown than a 5 yard hitch. I am hopeful we will see a little more of that in our offense this year as well.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron