ISU WBB Conf Schedule Back Loaded

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
Just reviewing our schedule.

Last 10 games:

@WV, @ Baylor, @ Texas, @ BU, @ KU(not that KU is tough, but we have had a jinx factor in finishing games there)

Home games include: Baylor, Texas, TCU, and KSU

Last game is a home stand with Baylor --- Season could build for that last game to be a very important one for the title race

With home stands with OSU, WVU, and OU (as well as both games with TTech), and a road game at KSU, they should be 7-1 or better leading up to that in conference, but last half of schedule seems brutal to me.

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
I agree, that final stretch is a killer. However, these girls keep amazing me. As long as we do a better job of protecting the ball -hopefully the OU game was an anomaly- then we have a great chance at the Big XII crown!

On a side note, here is a nice little piece by ESPN on the Clones and, specifically, Jadda:
Weekend Wrap - Four takeaways from the weekend - ESPN

"Also spotted: The reigning Big 12 freshman of the week, Jadda Buckley, didn't score in No. 14 Iowa State's easy win at TCU on Thursday to open conference play. That marked the first time in her admittedly young career she finished a game without a point. Perhaps she was just saving up for a more opportune time. Buckley scored 29 points, including 6-of-7 3-point attempts, in her team's overtime victory Sunday at No. 25 Oklahoma, taking top shooting honors on a court that included her teammate Hallie Christofferson and Oklahoma's Aaryn Ellenberg and Morgan Hook.
It's a significant result for the Cyclones, whose only other meaningful win, at least in terms of a would-be national contender, came at home against Iowa (Buckley had 19 points in that one, so she seems to like these games). And Buckley is a significant addition for what looks more and more like Iowa State's best shooting team in a few seasons."

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
This may work in our favor, this team has many young people who keep getting better. If we keep away from injuries, we could be tougher by the end of the season. At least that would be my guess.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
It's the flip side of some schedules we have had where it was unbalanced on the front end. This year I would rather play Baylor early before they get their act together. Also, with a short bench I would worry a little about hitting the wall at some point in conference and can't do that and get away with it with that schedule.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I'm not sure that this schedule will hurt us. We will be "broken in" by the time we get to those teams. No surprises. Our rookies will be veterans. I honestly don't think Baylor is going to be anything other than what they are now.

cydney

Mar 14, 2011
The great thing about Fennelly teams is that they usually get better as the season goes on. Better at understanding and executing scouting reports. Better at mastering the playbook. This should be especially true for the freshmen, probably Fallon, and definitely Tenisha. Maybe Jordan can even get going.

This team has lots of room to keep improving, and the schedule should help motivate them to do so. It will be tough, no doubt about that.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I'm not sure that this schedule will hurt us. We will be "broken in" by the time we get to those teams. No surprises. Our rookies will be veterans. I honestly don't think Baylor is going to be anything other than what they are now.

Assuming our freshman don't hit a wall at some point in February. Seems to happen a lot and the best ones (and we have a couple of really good ones) play through it and bounce back.

Should be an interesting game between Baylor and WV tomorrow. WV off to good start and they have da Bears on their court.

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
I honestly expect WVU to beat Baylor. They worry me more than any team in the conference. OSU and Baylor will be tough at home. WVU is equipped for road and home..