ISU up to 7th in AVCA poll

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Not that it really matters - but if everyone holds serve, this might get us out of that 1-8 pairing with Penn State.

Again, not that rankings mean anything in such seedings. But one could hope.

Regardless of how it shakes out, I really hope they put ISU, NU and Texas in different regions. Not likely - but a 3 out of 4 Final Four would be pretty sweet for the Big XII.

It'll be interesting to see how they place the #1's. Texas to Florida or Nebraska? Penn State to Florida, Minnesota or Nebraska? Probably figure Minnesota and Nebraska aren't getting moved out of their home region. Would they pair UT and NU? PSU and Minn?

I know UT and ISU made the regional finals last year, but ISU was a bit of a long shot to get there.

And come on Baylor! Be nice if they'd sneak back in the top 25 so we could say all of our regular season losses came at the hands of ranked teams. Man, that loss stings right now. We could potentially be a #1 seed. 3 losses to teams that spent most of hte season in the top 10 makes a compelling argument. At least as good as Washington, I'd think. 3-0 blitzing by NU at home doesn't help either, I suppose.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Not that it really matters - but if everyone holds serve, this might get us out of that 1-8 pairing with Penn State.

Again, not that rankings mean anything in such seedings. But one could hope.

Regardless of how it shakes out, I really hope they put ISU, NU and Texas in different regions. Not likely - but a 3 out of 4 Final Four would be pretty sweet for the Big XII.

It'll be interesting to see how they place the #1's. Texas to Florida or Nebraska? Penn State to Florida, Minnesota or Nebraska? Probably figure Minnesota and Nebraska aren't getting moved out of their home region. Would they pair UT and NU? PSU and Minn?

Since only the top 16 teams are seeded, and the remaining 48 placed to minimize travel, I'm sure Christy and staff are just as worried about who would be in their region, not just who they'd play in the Elite Eight. Like ISU of a year ago, there is an unseeded team or two that will do some damage...

Here is my fearless prediction:

ISU enters the tourney as the #6 overall seed, and is sent to Minneapolis:

#3 - Washington
#6 - Iowa State
#11 - Florida State
#15 - Minnesota

Last edited:
Reactions: DaddyMac

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
We would be a 2 seed though, not an 8 seed.

Right - but as the (previously ranked) #8 team, it stands to reason that we would be the 4th #2 seed. Hence 1-8, 2-7, etc, in the Elite 8 - meaning we'd have to get through PSU (top ranked and #1 first seed) to get to the Final Four.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I don't think it's a given that Minn and Neb will stay home - as for ISU,for the sake of getting to the Final Four, just avoid Penn State's region.
Since only the top 16 teams are seeded, and the remaining 48 placed to minimize travel, I'm sure Christy and staff are just as worried about who would be in their region, not just who they'd play in the Elite Eight. Like ISU of a year ago, there is an unseeded team or two that will do some damage...

Maybe not in regards to Minnesota.

I have a hard time believing that $$$ aren't floating in front of the NCAA's eyes in regards to NU and Omaha, particularly after last years turnout for the finals. And if the move them out of their home region - would they do the same with Stanford? Have to figure as things are, Wash or Hawaii get that #1 and do they let a #2 Standford play on their home court?

As for the remainder of the 48 field. I suppose some of the decent news is that most of the powers in the midwest are pretty highly ranked as well (Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota) We might get some good luck in the first two round bracketing.

Last edited:

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Maybe not in regards to Minnesota.

I have a hard time believing that $$$ aren't floating in front of the NCAA's eyes in regards to NU and Omaha, particularly after last years turnout for the finals.

As for the remainder of the 48 field. I suppose some of the decent news is that most of the powers in the midwest are pretty highly ranked as well (Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota) We might get some good luck in the first two round bracketing.

DaddyMac - I take that back, and edited my previous post. I'd agree both Neb and Minn stay home.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
DaddyMac - I take that back, and edited my previous post. I'd agree both Neb and Minn stay home.

Stanford as well.

#3 - Washington
#6 - Iowa State
#11 - Florida State
#15 - Minnesota

That's your 1-4 for the Minnesota region?

I have to think that's about best case scenario, wouldn't you? Washington, a team we've played (recently) and has to make a long trip. Same trip for FSU. And Minnesota we've played well, even on their home court.

Clearly beats playing PSU anywhere, or travelling to the coasts.

I love that bracket actually. Maybe Hawaii instead and really get that jet lag going.

Only other thing would have the PSU region on the other half of the bracket. Hosting a couple challenging ducks in the first two rounds as well, and I think that's a dream bracket for ISU.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Stanford as well.

#3 - Washington
#6 - Iowa State
#11 - Florida State
#15 - Minnesota

That's your 1-4 for the Minnesota region?

I have to think that's about best case scenario, wouldn't you? Washington, a team we've played (recently) and has to make a long trip. Same trip for FSU. And Minnesota we've played well, even on their home court.

Clearly beats playing PSU anywhere, or travelling to the coasts.

I love that bracket actually. Maybe Hawaii instead and really get that jet lag going.

Only other thing would have the PSU region on the other half of the bracket.

Hawaii is the mystery team - they really play no one in their conference, but have always had a great program. I'm almost sure they'll get sent to Stanford.
Of the remaining three sites, I doubt that they would send us to conference rival Nebraska as one of the top 8 seeds. That leaves Florida and Minn.
Regarding Washington, I guess that playing any #1 seed other than PSU would be a break.
I'd like to know, historically, how the AVCA poll matches up with the eventual NCAA seedings.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
I'm presuming the Wiki entry is right. Can't find a 2008 bracket.

2008 NCAA Division I Women's Volleyball Tournament - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And rankings

http://www.avca.org/includes/media/docs/08DIpollweekly12.xls

Looks like 1-5 are the same. Minnesota got 6th seed, while being ranked 12th (??). Hawaii the 7th seed, ranked 6th. Cal ranked 8th and seeded. Illinois jumped to 9th seed from 14 ranking.

Man - those are pretty decent leaps for the two Big 10 schools..... :confused:

Of course, this is the AVCA poll, not the power rankings.

Edit: I bet RPI is a better indicator than the AVCA. Looking at last years final (can't find weekly) all but UCLA were seeded. UCLA finished 20th. Michigan is the team the surplanted them in the final top 16 RPI. BTW - we finished 32nd....

Maybe a 2 seed isn't so much of a lock.

Last edited:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
That's another thing I was curious about.

What's the likelihood of repeat matches, such as an ISU/UNI rematch in round 2? Epsecially if they look to minimize travel?

I'd like that as well. I have alot of respect for Bobbi and the Panthers. That would be a great match to get into the sweet 16. I think we're a fair bit better and on our home court. But it certainly isn't a gimme by any stretch and a good challenge to keep the ladies sharp should they head to a regional.

I believe UW Milwaukee will get their conference automatic bid as well.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Edit: I bet RPI is a better indicator than the AVCA. Looking at last years final (can't find weekly) all but UCLA were seeded. UCLA finished 20th. Michigan is the team the surplanted them in the final top 16 RPI. BTW - we finished 32nd....

Maybe a 2 seed isn't so much of a lock.

Looks like at least a #2, perhaps a # 1 with luck.

Here is this week's Pablo (RPI) top ten:

1. Penn State
2. Texas
3. Nebraska
4. Washington
5. IOWA STATE
6. Stanford
7. Illinois
8. UCLA
9. Cal
10. USC

Other teams of note:
11. Minnesota
15. Michigan
17. Hawaii
18. Florida State

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
No, my mistake - the Pablo rankings are put out by RichKern.com, a volleyball site. I've heard various NCAA coaches and players refer to the "Pablo rankings" frequently, including ISU and CJL - but I do not know the criteria that is used.

RichKern.com Rankings

Yeah - I used to know Rich pretty well. Nice guy. BIG HUSKER.

Wondering how NU was 3rd. :biglaugh:

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
When do they announce the pairings?

I do notice that the MBB team is conveniently out of town for that first weekend of the Volleyball tournament, so the facility is available.

I believe the NCAA site said Sunday at 3:00 (ET/CST??) on one of the ESPNs.

Edit:

The field for the 2009 NCAA Championship - which will be revealed in full on Sunday at 3 p.m. ET on ESPNews

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron