***ISU @ TTU***

BenEClone

Mar 21, 2006
Lincoln, Ne
Where: United Supermarkets Arena - Lubbock, Texas
When: Saturday Jan. 13 at 6 p.m.
Projected Starting Lineup: Bridget Carleton, Madison Wise, Adriana Camber, Bride Kennedy-Hopoate, Emily Durr
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Learfield
Talent: Rich Fellingham (PxP); Lyndsey Fennelly (color)
|TV: FSSW
It's time to put a game together. Really early to call for a must-win, but to demonstrate that we can realize our potential this year, this game might be just that. The Iowa State women's basketball team (7-9, 1-4 Big 12) is set to take on Texas Tech (6-10, 0-5 Big 12)

Bride has taken a starting spot - I've not seen a game in person, but it seems to me that she has become more mobile and has improved her move to the basket during the season. Likely confidence and a little help from Baier. Hope to see a guard develop to lead the team in assists.

The Raiders haven't beaten anyone noteworthy and lost at home to KU. Even so, unless they're completely demoralized, based on the records they must see this as one conference game they can get. As strong start from the Cyclones would help fix that mindset. The Raiders have four players score in double digits so a solid straight up defense is called for. They shoot 26% from three so Bill will likely test our zone defense. Rebounding is a strength so second chance points could be a factor in a close game.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
United Supermarkets paid for that arena naming right undoubtedly with the largesse they gained from the SNAP program.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Watched Tech at TCU this week. I did not think they looked as bad as some think after all of coaching changes etc.

We won there in 2014.. Bad news is there are only eleven other "not Hilton" wins since 2014. In the last four seasons we are 11-37 away from Hilton. :(

Record sounds like some of Johnny Orr's Big 8 years.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 67CY

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
After 1 qtr, ISU up 22-11. Following via stat tracker and Twitter so no idea how the teams actually look through one qtr.

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
42-24 at the half. Good to see Em with double digit points, 7 made 3's by the team (though 13 misses are not something to write home about) and 5 steals in the first half.

Reactions: NWICY

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Watched Tech at TCU this week. I did not think they looked as bad as some think after all of coaching changes etc.

We won there in 2014.. Bad news is there are only eleven other "not Hilton" wins since 2014. In the last four seasons we are 11-37 away from Hilton. :(

Record sounds like some of Johnny Orr's Big 8 years.

Buuut, at least we rocked it at home during Johnny's time. It wasn't the best BB in the world, but it sure was fun and exciting. Hope the ladies do well tonight.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Buuut, at least we rocked it at home during Johnny's time. It wasn't the best BB in the world, but it sure was fun and exciting. Hope the ladies do well tonight.

Wise, Durr and Johnson hitting threes, 8 of 16. The rest of the team is shooting bricks ( 1-14) but these gals are hot and that's more than enough tonight.

Returned to form with only 24 points in the 2nd half but like @geewago said, Tech sucks. Trust in our Texas observer I will in the future. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: NWICY

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Thank goodness SNAP is there to help people. NFL blackmails local government to get new arenas and gets billions in Federal aid (yes that NFL).

I do not disagree with your second sentence. 45 million people are dependent on SNAP....thus they vote accordingly as a dependent would....and they vote for local representative governments that allow the extortion and tax fund abuse by the NFL.
Obesity is more of a problem in the land of chocolate milk and high fructose corn syrup honey substitute than hunger.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
Didn't get to see the game live, but taped a 1 am broadcast on a fox sports channel and watched it this morning. Tech is clearly a mess, but what clearly stood out, Maddy Wise is by far and away the most efficient player on this team, maybe the fastest, and is constantly hustling. So I checked the stats, of the starters, she has the highest FG%, highest 3pt FG% - almost 40%, least turnovers, and the 2nd least PF. What needs improvement is her FT%.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Didn't get to see the game live, but taped a 1 am broadcast on a fox sports channel and watched it this morning. Tech is clearly a mess, but what clearly stood out, Maddy Wise is by far and away the most efficient player on this team, maybe the fastest, and is constantly hustling. So I checked the stats, of the starters, she has the highest FG%, highest 3pt FG% - almost 40%, least turnovers, and the 2nd least PF. What needs improvement is her FT%.

Agree on Wise and would probably give her the mid-season Poppens Hustle Award. She has been hustling from the beginning but wasn't exactly filling the stat sheets until recently. Now the points are coming to. She'd probably even look better if we didn't get stuck in those grind it out 10-14 point quarters. Seems best when things are moving a little faster then that. She also doesn't have to look over her shoulder regarding the threat of getting pulled out at the drop of a hat. She's been the beneficiary of extended minutes and it's paid off (IMHO).

Our best WBB players historically have always played a lot right away and those minutes pay off as they get more experience and improve each year.