ISU Trademark Licensing Extends End Date For Old Logo

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Saw this little blurb when I was at the Trademark Licensing office website tonight:

Notice:
Due to demand for the current athletics identity program, the Iowa State University Trademark Licensing Office will continue to approve use of these marks in addition to the new athletics identity program (the capital I with State superimposed over it) announced this fall by the ISU Athletics Department. The January 1, 2008 end date that was initially set to halt design approvals of the current marks has been lifted. The design standards for this set of marks will remain unchanged and will be available through LRGs Trademarx System. The Athletics Department continues to transition to its new identity in all aspects of its program, including uniforms and coaching apparel, by the start of the 2008 football season.

The way I read this is that the new end date for new designs with the old mark will be the start of the 2008 football season, but it's not exactly clear.

I have a feeling this was due to all the businesses that had massive amounts of stock still available and wanted a slower transition to the new logo.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
The current stock could still be sold but I'm sure there were products already in the pipe-line that hadn't yet been approved and thus the need to extend it. All items that use any of the marks have to be approved by the trademark office so that's what I'm thinking the problem was. I could certainly be wrong though.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
maybe true, but most seem to prefer it to the god aweful tazmanian cy thingy.

I on the contrary disagree...I am an advocate of the Tornado Bird logo. Most all my friends who support the clones are as well.

SAVE CY! I will continue to buy tornado CY appearal as long as it is available.

Last edited:

goldmember

May 31, 2006
I think it has more to with the new logos lack of availability right now (Nike gear not available until the summer) opposed to a huge demand for the bird in a blender.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I on the contrary disagree...I am an advocate of the Tornado Bird logo. Most all my friends who support the clones are as well.

SAVE CY! I will continue to buy tornado CY appearal as long as it is available.

Agree completely. I have been buying more punching bird schwag lately just so my punching bird clothing inventory will last longer.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm pretty sure merchants will continue to sell items with with the whirlybird on it, sans blue, in the future (as it's an official secondary logo).

Gizmo

Mar 11, 2006
Urbandale
I like the new logo, but it certainly does not eliminate confusion with other teams that could also be called I State. The team name Cyclones is the only thing that makes us different. In the long run this new logo won't create a strong brand image in my view.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Strawberry Patch told me that the University was hurting business because the order for merchandise has to be placed at least 10 months in advance. With ISU phasing out the old logo, they were still just receiving stock with the old logo that had to be sold at a discount price to get rid of it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I like the new logo, but it certainly does not eliminate confusion with other teams that could also be called I State. The team name Cyclones is the only thing that makes us different. In the long run this new logo won't create a strong brand image in my view.

Actually, we are the only 1-A (excuse me, FBS) school that is I State. Indiana, and Idaho State are both FCS, or whatever they call 1-AA now. I think the new logo WILL create brand image, as long as we are relatively succesfull.

thunderdave

POOTMFS
Apr 14, 2006
Strawberry Patch told me that the University was hurting business because the order for merchandise has to be placed at least 10 months in advance. With ISU phasing out the old logo, they were still just receiving stock with the old logo that had to be sold at a discount price to get rid of it.
This simply can't be true.
I know of some screen printers that can turnaround brand new designs within days, sometimes, even hours.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
Cy still is alive. He just isn't feeling the blues anymore. :wink:

amen to that. but hey - either way its a great time to buy Iowa State merch. I know I am loading up myself and friends and family this xmas. I will be decked out in I-State next football season, but I am not gonna stop wearing the old logo altogether.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
I have not seen an IOWA STATE logo that I do not like. From the first walking Cy to the current power I, as long as they signify the Cyclones, great.